News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Website Weekends

Started by Alps, August 17, 2009, 10:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightyace

While I don't presently have a website, I have a bunch of TN 840 photos to upload to flickr and to send to Alex for use on AARoads, so that might be a good time to finally get around to it.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Alps

Here's what's going down:

Last weekend was Bridge Day.  Poorly attended on our front, I believe, but of course well attended overall.
Next weekend, as far as I know, is open.  But I have some housekeeping to take care of so I'm not proposing it.
Obviously we then have Halloween.
November 7 appears to be at least one, maybe two gatherings involving several of us.  I believe one of those is Fort to Port.
November 14 or 21 is the DC meet.  The other weekend would be a good candidate for Website Weekend.
Then comes Xmas.  Then comes another meet.  On the 14th, many contributors here will have finals or studying.  The 21st, many will have returned home for the holidays.

So... how about when froggie decides which weekend is DC, we'll make the next Website Weekend on the other one?

Dougtone

Quote from: mightyace on October 19, 2009, 05:07:10 PM
While I don't presently have a website, I have a bunch of TN 840 photos to upload to flickr and to send to Alex for use on AARoads, so that might be a good time to finally get around to it.

It would be as good of a time as any.

Dougtone

Quote from: AlpsROADS on October 19, 2009, 07:18:39 PM

Last weekend was Bridge Day.  Poorly attended on our front, I believe, but of course well attended overall.
Next weekend, as far as I know, is open.  But I have some housekeeping to take care of so I'm not proposing it.
November 7 appears to be at least one, maybe two gatherings involving several of us.  I believe one of those is Fort to Port.
November 14 or 21 is the DC meet.  The other weekend would be a good candidate for Website Weekend.
Then comes Xmas.  Then comes another meet.  On the 14th, many contributors here will have finals or studying.  The 21st, many will have returned home for the holidays.

So... how about when froggie decides which weekend is DC, we'll make the next Website Weekend on the other one?

There are also a few of us from the roads community that are making a roadtrip to Columbus, Ohio for a hockey game the weekend of November 7th.

US71

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on August 17, 2009, 11:52:59 PM
I need to CREATE a website, though when I do I'll have to get in on this.

I use Flickr, myself.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Roadgeek Adam

I have my Flickr stuff, and run most of the NJ stuff for CanHwys.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Dougtone

Quote from: US71 on October 19, 2009, 09:04:20 PM
Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on August 17, 2009, 11:52:59 PM
I need to CREATE a website, though when I do I'll have to get in on this.

I use Flickr, myself.

I would say that a website weekend would be a good time to add some photos to Flickr, instead of creating a website.

hbelkins

I think you meant Thanksgiving. But what meet is scheduled after Thanksgiving? I haven't heard of any.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

rawmustard

It's possible to do something on the same weekend as a meet, since I would more than likely upload pics from Fort-to-Port either later that evening or the next day anyway. Of course, people could filter in and out during the weekend as availability warrants. (I sincerely doubt you'll find a specific time where everyone who wants to participate will have time to access the Net.)

CanesFan27

I need to do some type of update period - thank goodness for flickr and the blog though.  I've been finding that a lot quicker and better interaction.  THough based on a few things that have happened, I think I am going to work on Keystone Town MArkers and items in PA soon. 

I just have writer's block in trying to come up with a description and page flow for the WV projects I have been staggering on - King Coal, Tolsia, Coalfields and Corridor L.

Any suggestions to flush this out - http://www.gribblenation.com/wvpics/kingcoal/ - is appreciated.

hbelkins

Quote from: CanesFan27 on October 20, 2009, 10:12:05 AM

Any suggestions to flush this out - http://www.gribblenation.com/wvpics/kingcoal/ - is appreciated.

Don't be in any rush. None of us who participate on this forum today will ever live to drive on a completed King Coal Highway.

CanesFan27

HB,

True we won't.  But there's nothing that really tracks this highway's progress - what little there is. (WVDOH's site is a joke)  From the feedback I get with the general public, I've found that pages that I have that are more focused to general/human interest features and news related on specific projects garner the most interest.  (Hence why I am trying to slowly spin off various sign galleries.)

Corridor H in WV and some of the North/South Carolina construction projects are examples.

Though the Keystone Town Markers project has recently been getting a lot of e-mails from local communities looking at restoring or trying to find ways to purchase a 'new' one.

froggie

Given the crappy weather in DC today, I'm probably going to turn today into a "website half-weekend"...

Alps

WEBSITE WEEKEND: NOVEMBER 13-15

We're still working out the logistics.  But it's a weekend between two meets, which is a perfect time to upload the photos from the first so you're not swamped by the second.  Or just to get some stuff done.  Coordinate with other people in your region and turn it into a get-together event!

Dougtone

I plan on participating in next weekend's Website Weekend, but I'll probably just do so from home.  I've been traveling a lot, so it would be good to just make a pot of chili and work on my backlog from the comfort of my own home.  Of course, I would make myself available that weekend to chat about Website Weekend.

SSOWorld

ditto.  Got a "road trip" coming up, but it's business and also using a company car so no roadgeeking on this one :-|
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Dougtone

I am currently in the midst of Website Weekend, uploading ALL of my Ohio photos, which number into the thousands.  This will be followed by a greater interoperability between the GN Roadtrips page of yore with my Flickr gallery.

hbelkins

My modest contribution to Website Weekend is downloading my pics from my Fort-to-Port meet trip from my cameras to my computer. I'm currently sitting in the hospital with my dad, who was hospitalized the night of the Nov. 7 meet, and the 'Net connection I've been able to secure isn't fast enough for a massive upload of pics.

Alps

All I've been doing is editing (several hundred photos), linking (several dozen pages), and now I've just begun to write some of the new pages (got through the CR's).  I don't know how much time I have tomorrow to continue.  Update should be coming before Thanksgiving...

SSOWorld

I'm in the middle of building an "Exit guide" for Wisconsin freeways - at least the Interstates will be up when I'm ready to publish.  If time, I'll add more photos to my flicker collection and write the first blog entry for my road trip summary.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

froggie

Something above and beyond what Matt Salek has?

(though, to be fair, he doesn't have anything east of I-39...)

SSOWorld

Quote from: froggie on November 15, 2009, 02:34:44 PM
Something above and beyond what Matt Salek has?

(though, to be fair, he doesn't have anything east of I-39...)

So far.  I've only got it partially done at the moment, it will cover the whole state when it is done.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

thenetwork

I spent the majority of this weekend getting some I-70 East backlog out of the way, and I didn't even know that this was THE Website Weekend!!!

Anyhoo, I just completed a 260-Mile stretch of Eastbound I-70 from UT to West Denver.  it can be found at (Click There --->) http://www.flickr.com/photos/virtual_freeway_tours.

Alps

Proud to announce 793 photos left before the update.  At the beginning of the "official" weekend, I still had nearly 300 photos to sort and about 500 to edit.  I was at about 1160 photos when all was said and done.  Let's see what I can crank out... and maybe I'll bring my laptop to DC for some extra productivity.

Dougtone

A little late to the game here, but I've announced Ohio and Maine road photo gallery additions through the course of Website Weekend.  Perhaps we should have another one next month, provided that it avoids Christmahanukwanzaakah and Solstice.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.