News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

No gas!

Started by tolbs17, May 11, 2021, 11:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

On the plus side, maybe some of these dumb shits putting gas in bags will get an impromptu chemistry lesson. :P

"The gasoline dissolved the plastic bag and spilled everywhere.  I learned something today."

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 13, 2021, 04:04:10 PM
On the plus side, maybe some of these dumb shits putting gas in bags will get an impromptu chemistry lesson. :P

"The gasoline dissolved the plastic bag and spilled everywhere.  I learned something today."

Can't wait until they try to put some in a portable Styrofoam cooler and create napalm.

Chris

kkt

Oh, good, I'm glad she doubled the plastic bag of gasoline.  Otherwise it might have been dangerous.   :rolleyes:

allniter89

Short lines 2-4 cars here in the FL panhandle. I saw one guy filling 3 large gas cans. I only fill mine pre hurricane to be ready for post hurricane.
Prices only rose to $2.85 away from the interstate. Prices near the interstate were as high a $3.50.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2021, 07:47:27 PM
Before everyone goes all Freewayjim just know that I paid $4.08 for 87 octane as a normal thing yesterday in Fresno.
What does going all Freewayjim mean? Is there like a Freewayjim mode?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on May 13, 2021, 10:39:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 11, 2021, 07:47:27 PM
Before everyone goes all Freewayjim just know that I paid $4.08 for 87 octane as a normal thing yesterday in Fresno.
What does going all Freewayjim mean? Is there like a Freewayjim mode?

It means panicking about gas shortages, gas prices or really anything kind of the entry level mentality in the road community. 

tolbs17

And DC has the highest percentage of no gas.

renegade

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 14, 2021, 11:36:09 AM
They have plenty of gas.  535 sources of it.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: renegade on May 14, 2021, 03:14:03 PM

Hey, stop that rational thinking now. 

Big John

Quote from: renegade on May 14, 2021, 03:14:03 PM
Except that gas is hot air.

kphoger

highest percentage of no gas

Let's just all stop for a moment and appreciate the fact that |tolbs17| was only the second person on the internet to use that phrase.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

plain

I didn't realize there was a thread about this until now lmao.

The people who are panic buying are absolutely to blame for the shortages, no doubt. I'm not sure if they were just selfish, trying to hustle the gas later, or what, but it was fucking stupid.

Then there's the price gouging. There was at least one station around here (pretty sure there were more) that jacked their prices up to $6.99/gallon the other day before they were forced to cut off due to the state of emergency being declared. Sad. Just... Sad. I'm sure they've been reported by now.

I would hate to what would happen if this was a bigger thing nationwide. Actually something like this did happen back in the 2000's
Newark born, Richmond bred

Brandon

Quote from: plain on May 14, 2021, 07:35:50 PM

The people who are panic buying are absolutely to blame for the shortages, no doubt. I'm not sure if they were just selfish, trying to hustle the gas later, or what, but it was fucking stupid.

Then there's the price gouging. There was at least one station around here (pretty sure there were more) that jacked their prices up to $6.99/gallon the other day before they were forced to cut off due to the state of emergency being declared. Sad. Just... Sad. I'm sure they've been reported by now.

I would hate to what would happen if this was a bigger thing nationwide. Actually something like this did happen back in the 2000's

Nationwide?  Try 1973 and 1979, not anytime in the 2000s.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on May 14, 2021, 04:36:46 PM
highest percentage of no gas

Let's just all stop for a moment and appreciate the fact that |tolbs17| was only the second person on the internet to use that phrase.

And the first to use it in reference to gasoline–that appears to be a reference to nitrous oxide (NO) gas.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

plain

Quote from: Brandon on May 14, 2021, 09:20:53 PM

I was referring to gas prices spiking in the 2000's, not embargoes
Newark born, Richmond bred

vdeane

If that's the price it would take to prevent them from running out, then that's what they should charge.  I hate it when prices are kept artificially low and shortages result.  I have plenty of experience from how this has affected grocery shopping... store prices item artificially low to be "nice" and keep product "affordable"... nobody can buy said product because the shelves are bare... store finally realizes that supply chain issue isn't just a short-term blip and finally raises prices... stock is plentiful and shoppers can breath easy and stop substituting in other products.  This has happened again and again and again over the last 14 months.  If I lived in the area experiencing shortages, I'd be absolutely furious.

This whole thing is caused by the panic buyers in the first place.  At the beginning, the experts were saying to just buy gas when you need it, and everything would be fine.  But then people panicked, made runs on the stations, and now we're in the middle of a shortage that will take a week or two to resolve.  Congratulations stupid people, you just ruined the whole month of May for a good chunk of the country.  And now we're insisting that stations not price the panic buyers back to more normal behavior.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on May 14, 2021, 10:36:35 PM
If that's the price it would take to prevent them from running out, then that's what they should charge.  I hate it when prices are kept artificially low and shortages result.  I have plenty of experience from how this has affected grocery shopping... store prices item artificially low to be "nice" and keep product "affordable"... nobody can buy said product because the shelves are bare... store finally realizes that supply chain issue isn't just a short-term blip and finally raises prices... stock is plentiful and shoppers can breath easy and stop substituting in other products.  This has happened again and again and again over the last 14 months.  If I lived in the area experiencing shortages, I'd be absolutely furious.

This whole thing is caused by the panic buyers in the first place.  At the beginning, the experts were saying to just buy gas when you need it, and everything would be fine.  But then people panicked, made runs on the stations, and now we're in the middle of a shortage that will take a week or two to resolve.  Congratulations stupid people, you just ruined the whole month of May for a good chunk of the country.  And now we're insisting that stations not price the panic buyers back to more normal behavior.

Unless you live in a relatively small portion of the Carolinas, maybe Georgia, maybe southern Virginia, the grand majority of the country wasn't affected.

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 14, 2021, 10:44:54 PM

Unless you live in a relatively small portion of the Carolinas, maybe Georgia, maybe southern Virginia, the grand majority of the country wasn't affected.

From what I've read, it seems to be the entire southeast and parts of the Mid Atlantic.  I know someone who lives in DC, and from his Facebook posts, they definitely seem affected.  And even if it is just a "small" area, that's cold comfort if you live in that area and now can't buy gas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on May 14, 2021, 10:56:10 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 14, 2021, 10:44:54 PM

From what I've read, it seems to be the entire southeast and parts of the Mid Atlantic.  I know someone who lives in DC, and from his Facebook posts, they definitely seem affected.  And even if it is just a "small" area, that's cold comfort if you live in that area and now can't buy gas.

Our relatives in Fort Myers and near Miami said there were definitely long lines there, though not as nuts as what we were seeing on the news here. People don't use logic. The fact that southern Florida isn't served by that pipeline doesn't register with people prone to panic-buying.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Brandon

Quote from: plain on May 14, 2021, 10:01:03 PM
Quote from: Brandon on May 14, 2021, 09:20:53 PM

I was referring to gas prices spiking in the 2000's, not embargoes

A price spike that had plenty of fuel to go around and no stations were ever without fuel.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

GaryV

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 15, 2021, 01:09:49 AM
Also, why have I not heard about this much in New England?

It's not affecting the Northeast much, since we're not directly served by the affected pipeline.

Avalanchez71

Defiantly panic buying in the Nashville Metro and exurb areas. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 15, 2021, 01:28:28 PM
Defiantly panic buying in the Nashville Metro and exurb areas.

So people are being defiant and deliberately panic buying to make a statement that we all should?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.