News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cities on a Border Where the Jursidiction Across the Border has a Similar City

Started by ethanhopkin14, February 01, 2021, 12:42:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on February 01, 2021, 12:53:17 PM
Quote from: 1 on February 01, 2021, 12:44:04 PM
Niagara Falls, NY/ON

We could devote an entire thread to whether or not those two cities are, in fact, similar. The name is about the extent of it.

Quote from: oscar on February 01, 2021, 10:13:01 PM
Surprised no mention of El Paso TX and its Mexican counterpart Ciudad Juarez, both huge cities.

The OP specifies similarity in the names of the cities:
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 01, 2021, 12:42:54 PM
what about other instances where an adjacent jurisdiction names a town similar to the town on the other side of the border?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

xcellntbuy

Until 1888 before the city was renamed in honor of Benito Juarez, Ciudad Juarez was named El Paso del Norte.

KEVIN_224

Konza

In addition to Nogales, there is also a Naco in both Arizona and Sonora.

The Naco in Arizona is unincorporated, but it does have a post office and zip code.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

JayhawkCO

MikeTheActuary

Derby Line, VT and Stanstead, QC

And then you have the Akwesane Reservation/Reserves at the NY/ON/QC tripoint.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 01, 2021, 10:29:48 PM

what about other instances where an adjacent jurisdiction names a town similar to the town on the other side of the border?

Well, just because the adjacent jurisdiction names the town, doesn't mean they have to name it with the same name, right?  :-P

KCRoadFan

ftballfan

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on February 02, 2021, 07:03:36 PM
Derby Line, VT and Stanstead, QC

And then you have the Akwesane Reservation/Reserves at the NY/ON/QC tripoint.
Akwesasne is even more unusual as the Quebec portion of the reservation is connected directly to New York State with no direct connection to the rest of Canada.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2021, 07:29:14 PM

Well, just because the adjacent jurisdiction names the town, doesn't mean they have to name it with the same name, right?  :-P

Grammatically speaking, that would be the correct interpretation.  See below.

In order to convey that the names must be similar to qualify for the thread, the question should have been written as follows:

what about other instances where an adjacent jurisdiction names a town similarLY to the town on the other side of the border?

Or, in other words...

The word names is a verb, therefore the manner in which the town is being named should be conveyed by the use of an adverb.  This was not done.  Instead, the word similar is an adjective, therefore it must describe the noun town, meaning that it is the towns that are similar, not the naming conventions pertaining thereto.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 03, 2021, 12:11:51 PM

Grammatically speaking, that would be the correct interpretation.  See below.

And practically speaking, that would be the correct (albeit rather long-winded) explanation of my attempted joke.

kphoger

I know.  I just thought there were probably some who didn't quite get it.  Just wanted to be clear.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 03, 2021, 01:27:34 PM
I know.  I just thought there were probably some who didn't quite get it.  Just wanted to be clear.

Understood. I tend to forget that, especially when it comes to semantics, I'm a bit more intuitive than the average audience member, so sometimes my attempts at humor are layered or complicated in ways that can unintentionally go over people's heads.

ethanhopkin14

In seriousness, part of this exercise was a fascination of mine about what city came first.  Sometime it's self explanatory.  Nuevo Laredo is obviously New Laredo so it was named after Laredo.  Sometimes it's not as cut and dry. 

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 01, 2021, 04:07:47 PM
Beebe, QC/Beebe Plain, VT

Used to be, Beebe, QC was amalgated with Rock Island and the village of Stanstead aka in some road maps as Stanstead-Plain into the town of Stanstead in the late 1990s.

zachary_amaryllis

this feels close..

julesburg, co and north julesburg, ne. i don't think north julesburg is on any map, and julesburg itself is more or less a wide spot on us 385... but the phone book lists calls between these two points as local, even though they're in different states.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

ethanhopkin14

nexus73

US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kenarmy

Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.