News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Starved Rock Road Meet - May 17, 2014

Started by Brandon, September 28, 2013, 11:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Quote from: getemngo on April 20, 2014, 04:28:43 PM
A lot of folks on the Facebook event are concerned about lodging. Just a heads up, Cody says that the Starved Rock Lodge isn't available one of the nights that weekend (he didn't say which).

Me, I'm likely staying somewhere in Indiana on Friday night, and either with Chicago-area friends or driving all the way home on Saturday, so it doesn't apply.

There's some hotels over by LaSalle-Peru (Exit 75) and Ottawa (Exit 90) as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jpi

I will be staying in Davenport, IA (Quad Cities area) Friday night then clinching what I need on I-80 on my way to Starved Rock. Plan to get LOTS of new counties in IL and IA on this trip. planning a rental car for this trip too.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

SSOWorld

I'll be staying at my apartment ;)

That is... IF I go.  I've been doing work travel quite regularly and have been needing to stay at home on weekends to mind the cat.  I may have to skip out on this one but I'm not going to make any calls one way or another until close to last minute.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on April 20, 2014, 05:10:56 PM
Quote from: getemngo on April 20, 2014, 04:28:43 PM
A lot of folks on the Facebook event are concerned about lodging. Just a heads up, Cody says that the Starved Rock Lodge isn't available one of the nights that weekend (he didn't say which).

Me, I'm likely staying somewhere in Indiana on Friday night, and either with Chicago-area friends or driving all the way home on Saturday, so it doesn't apply.

There's some hotels over by LaSalle-Peru (Exit 75) and Ottawa (Exit 90) as well.
Those are where I'm looking to be for the night. If those who are staying over Saturday pick one before I book, I'll join them. If not, I'll coerce them.

pianocello

I might be able to make this one. It's definitely close enough, I just don't know if I'll have any conflicts arise.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

SSOWorld

Quote from: SSOWorld on April 21, 2014, 07:01:18 AM
I'll be staying at my apartment ;)

That is... IF I go.  I've been doing work travel quite regularly and have been needing to stay at home on weekends to mind the cat.  I may have to skip out on this one but I'm not going to make any calls one way or another until close to last minute.
Well, I'm going after all - Heading down the night before and staying in Ottawa after a week in Rockford.  Maybe I'll clinch I-55 while I'm at it :P
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Brandon

OK, I have made the reservation.  It's a half hour earlier than I originally wanted.

11 am, Starved Rock Lodge.  We will need to be out of there by 12:30 pm.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on May 13, 2014, 01:47:42 PM
OK, I have made the reservation.  It's a half hour earlier than I originally wanted.

11 am, Starved Rock Lodge.  We will need to be out of there by 12:30 pm.
Egads. But that'll help us see plenty more stuff during the day! I suggest putting together an after-meet to check out something else interesting in the area (covered bridge? abandoned concrete road?) with the available daylight.

jpi

Agreed, and have some dinner later, just throwing it out there but we do have a store in nearby Ottawa ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Alps

Quote from: jpi on May 13, 2014, 11:48:06 PM
Agreed, and have some dinner later, just throwing it out there but we do have a store in nearby Ottawa ;-)
Do they serve deep dish?

hbelkins

I will have to live vicariously through everyone's photos for this one.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

getemngo

I'm reluctantly backing out over a variety of personal reasons, mostly financial. I'm not too happy with myself. Was looking forward to this more than any other Great Lakes area meet this year.

Sorry, guys.
~ Sam from Michigan

hbelkins

Don't feel bad. Finances are what's keeping me from attending this meet -- and most likely any meets in the foreseeable future. I'm trying to figure out a way to do Toledo, but it's highly doubtful as well.

jpi

Quote from: Alps on May 14, 2014, 12:32:36 AM
Quote from: jpi on May 13, 2014, 11:48:06 PM
Do they serve deep dish?
No, just the usual southern comfort food ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

JREwing78

pianocello

I think I'm going to have to sit this one out as well. I'd like to go to others in northern Illinois in the future, though.

iPhone
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

JREwing78

It's a good thing I guessed the name the reservation is under correctly. I'm here sipping a Coke waiting for others to appear.

GeekJedi

This was a great meet - Brandon did a fantastic job putting this all together.  Thanks for inviting me!  It was great to see everyone again.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

JREwing78

Thank you, Brandon, for a great meet!

I meandered a bit on my way back, following IL 251 to US 52 into Dixon, then following IL 2 into Rockford. That is quite a scenic drive.

SSOWorld

AASHO Test Site by ssoworld, on Flickr

Here's the first group photo loaded to AARoads - cause I'm that damn good! :bigass:

L to R: Steve Alpert (Alps), Jason Risner (JREwing78), Jason Ilyes (jpi), Chris Tarr (GeekJedi), A. J. Bertin, Nathan Tarr, Cody Goodman (codyg1985), Eric Stuve (okroads), Scott Onson (SSOWorld) and Brandon Gorte (Brandon).  Missing: David Feryance (Was at lunch but got lost in transition to the lower parking lot, but did travel the route his own (See Brandon's post below))

This was taken on the site of - you guessed it, the AASHO test site non-destructive weather loop which parallels I-80 Northwest of Ottawa, IL

More pics are on the way at my Flickr album - https://www.flickr.com/photos/ssoworld/sets/72157644723089465/ and a few for Facebook as well.

Thanks Brandon for putting together a well organized meet.

I took US 6 all the way to quads and 61 to home. (swapping out IL-71 to take the opposing route from what we took today for the meet.)

EDIT 5/20/2014 - Add MIA. -sso
Scott O.

Raise your what?

Alps

Did we ever find attendee #11? Poor dude.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 20, 2014, 06:20:18 AM
Feryance? No - we never did.

Did he get lost somewhere along the way? And didn't we lose him somewhere in Dubuque?

Brandon

I just read his comment on Facebook.  He lost us when we went down the hill to the lower parking lot, but followed the map I made (maybe I should scan it in as an example of how to give road meet directions) and saw everything we saw.  I suspect he may have been just behind us, and we may have missed him at each stop by a minute (minuet?) for two.

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on May 20, 2014, 04:07:11 PM

I just read his comment on Facebook.  He lost us when we went down the hill to the lower parking lot, but followed the map I made (maybe I should scan it in as an example of how to give road meet directions) and saw everything we saw.  I suspect he may have been just behind us, and we may have missed him at each stop by a minute (minuet?) for two.
Dude, before you get too cocky about the directions... you had places where the arrows left the main route onto side streets. You never named the side streets, so there would be no way to trace the route properly if one got lost. Helpful hint: provide both maps AND written directions.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.