Hampton Roads meet - March 22, 2014

Started by froggie, January 26, 2014, 07:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

I've decided on a Hampton Roads-area meet on March 22.  Given the wildness of my remaining time in Norfolk, I can commit to that date.  Unfortunately, it also means that I am no longer able to commit to a DC area meet.  I'm sure there'll be plenty of people willing to take that up in the future (I've already had conversations with Laura).

Daylight Savings begins on the 9th, so we'll have plenty of daylight...sunset isn't until 7:15ish.

(EDIT)  The meet will be held at the Greenbrier location of Kelley's Tavern.  We will start right at 11.  Restaurant address is 1412 Greenbrier Parkway, Chesapeake, VA 23320.  The physical location of the restaurant is here.

The main highlights will be construction on the Midtown Tunnel and MLK Freeway extension projects, and US 17/Dominion Blvd and the Steel Bridge in Chesapeake.  Time and opportunity-permitting, we can also pop over to Virginia Beach to check Nimmo Pkwy status or go on a sign scavenger hunt.  Also, if time, opportunity, and interest permit, I can give a limited number of attendees (up to 4) a tour of the Norfolk Naval Base, the largest (in terms of ships and workers) navy base in the world.  If any other attendees have base access privileges, we can of course increase this number or make it part of the overall meet.

Lastly, for any hockey fans who are interested, the Norfolk Admirals (AHL) are at home against the Binghamton Senators that evening.  Gametime is at 7:15.

Alps

Somewhere between the naval base tour and the hockey game, I may have enough interest to join.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

I forgot to add that I will have copies of the latest Vermont and North Carolina state maps available for attendees.  I might pick up another state or two to hand out as well prior to the meet.

Duke87

Given that this is a consecutive weekend with Nashville, I am not going to attend both since that would require taking two consecutive Fridays off from work, which I don't want to do.

Also, this potentially conflicts with family events.

If there is a meet in Delmarva on Sunday the 23rd I may go to that since I could do it as a day trip, but Norfolk is definitely a no.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Thing 342

Blast, was really looking forward to this, but just realized that I'm going to be out of town (Convention in Richmond) on the weekend of the 22nd.

hbelkins

Three really good meets on three consecutive weekends -- STL, this and Nashville -- and even if I had the cash, there's no way I could attend all three. I'm going to have to pick and choose. I've pretty much decided that I'm definitely going to Nashville since it's the closest. Calendar-wise, it would be easier for me to go to STL, but in terms of the actual drive itself, this is preferable. (There's really no good, scenic way to get to STL that I'm not tired of driving even though it's about two hours closer than Hampton Roads.) I'm going to wait until the itinerary is ready before I make a decision on this one, but if I do come, I won't be doing the hockey game since I'll need to make a getaway to get far enough west that I can get on home by Sunday evening.

Likely route if I do come will be I-64 one way and either US 460 or US 58 the other way, but which route for which direction is yet to be determined. It's possible that I do 460 one way and 58 the other way and skip 64, but I won't decide that until the itinerary and meet location is announced.

Attendance may hinge on whether or not I've gotten my tax refund by then.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

As I noted, plan on it starting either 11 or noon, and somewhere on the "Southside" (whether Norfolk, Portsmouth, or Chesapeake).  That should be enough for your pre-planning...the specifics don't really make a difference on the weekend.

Takumi

For anyone unable to make it, I'm seriously considering doing another meet for the area in a couple years.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Laura

Quote from: Duke87 on January 26, 2014, 10:38:48 PM

If there is a meet in Delmarva on Sunday the 23rd I may go to that since I could do it as a day trip, but Norfolk is definitely a no.

I will be at the Hampton Roads meet on the 22nd and hosting a Delmarva meet on the 23rd.

hbelkins

Quote from: Laura Bianca on January 27, 2014, 09:27:15 PM
I will be at the Hampton Roads meet on the 22nd and hosting a Delmarva meet on the 23rd.

Looking forward to the details of that. This may change my travel plans if I make it to Hampton Roads.

jpi

Sounds like a great tour, unfortunently I will not be able to make this one, got a small toy show in East Ridge, TN that day and this falls inbetween Kim's St Louis meet that I will be attending and my road meet in Lebanon\ Nashville, TN
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Brandon

Quote from: jpi on January 28, 2014, 04:17:00 PM
Sounds like a great tour, unfortunently I will not be able to make this one, got a small toy show in East Ridge, TN that day and this falls inbetween Kim's St Louis meet that I will be attending and my road meet in Lebanon\ Nashville, TN

Ditto.  I'm in the same boat as you, jpi.  It's between both meets, and it also happens to be my birthday weekend.  BTW, I've already put in for the 28th off so I can drive down to Nashville.  St. Louis is a mere 3.5 to 4 hour trip one way for me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

Even if I don't go to StL - I can't make this one - even to see the Nuclear Wessels. ;) 
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Takumi

While cleaning out my house this week I found some old VDOT maps, mostly from 1989. I can bring a spare Prince George County from it if anyone wants it.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on January 29, 2014, 06:29:35 PM
While cleaning out my house this week I found some old VDOT maps, mostly from 1989. I can bring a spare Prince George County from it if anyone wants it.

I would most definitely be interested in that.  I cannot commit to going to the meet at this time. I will most likely be in the Petersburg/Colonial Heights/Hopewell area a week to two weeks earlier though.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Dr Frankenstein

I don't *think* I'll be there, but who knows!

Takumi

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 29, 2014, 10:33:51 PM

I would most definitely be interested in that.  I cannot commit to going to the meet at this time. I will most likely be in the Petersburg/Colonial Heights/Hopewell area a week to two weeks earlier though.
It's yours. Consider it a late birthday present...let me know next time you're in the area.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Takumi on February 01, 2014, 10:33:39 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 29, 2014, 10:33:51 PM

It's yours. Consider it a late birthday present...let me know next time you're in the area.

Thanks.  I'll let you know in a few weeks when I know my plans then.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

brianreynolds

Like H.B., among St. Louis, Nashville and Hampton Roads, I have to choose only one of the three.  I would lean toward Hampton Roads anyway, but with Laura hosting Delmarva the following day, that seals the deal for me.  Only a (natural or man-made) disaster could keep me away.

froggie

I picked up some West Virginia and Pennsylvania maps this weekend that will be available at the meet, along with the NC and VT maps I acquired previously.  Whatever doesn't get taken at the Hampton Roads meet will be available for those at the Delmarva meet the next day.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 02, 2014, 01:30:36 PM
I picked up some West Virginia and Pennsylvania maps this weekend that will be available at the meet, along with the NC and VT maps I acquired previously.  Whatever doesn't get taken at the Hampton Roads meet will be available for those at the Delmarva meet the next day.

What year's listed on the WV maps? I think they're putting out maps with two years on the cover now. Can't remember what years were listed on the last maps I got.

froggie

hbelkins

Definitely newer than anything I have, then.

Alps

Waiting to see an itinerary/concept for the Delmarva meet.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.