News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New Jersey map drawing meet

Started by Alps, February 11, 2014, 10:53:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

When would you attend a map drawing meet in NJ?

Saturday, December 6
2 (22.2%)
Saturday, December 20
4 (44.4%)
Saturday, January 3
5 (55.6%)
Saturday, January 10*
5 (55.6%)
Saturday, January 31
6 (66.7%)
Saturday, February 21
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Duke87

Percent chance of my attendance on any of the given dates:

12/6: 70%
12/20: 1%
1/3: 45%
1/10: 45%
1/31: 99%
2/21: 99%
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

jpi

Of all of these weekends, 1/31 would be my best shot, on Sunday 2/1 there is a toy show in Shrewsbury, PA where I grew up so I could possibly swing this if it is 1/31, otherwise I am out. 12/6 is Steel City Con so I will be in Monroeville, PA that whole weekend, if all goes well 1/10 I will be in the St Louis area and may get the last of the MO counties I need to clinch that whole state (weather permitting) so we will see :-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Roadgeek Adam

The 31st is my best shot because I will be back in my dorm, not in Buffalo by that point.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Dougtone

I see a few different angles of approaching a date. Essentially, should we have a holiday get together (might be a nicer gesture, but harder to assemble folks) or wait until after the holidays when individual schedules are more flexible.

Alps

There's nothing saying we can't have more than one, either.

vdeane

Dec. 20 would be the least likely for me (debating whether or not to take the whole week off around Christmas), though I'm not 100% sure whether I'd attend or not.  Probably depends on the money/mileage budgets (I'm anticipating that I'll be attending an unusually large number of roadmeets; including the Map Drawing meet would put the total at 7-8 rather than my usual 4-5), weather, who's attending, and how easy it would be to carry/plug in my laptop.  Fortunately, northern NJ is just 2.5-3 hours away, and driving to the meet would allow me to clinch NY 32 on the way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Zeffy

If it were on the 26th of January, that would be my greatest birthday present ever, but that would also mean I would need a way to get there. Is there a set location for this? If it was held in Newark, I could get someone to drive me to the Somerville station and just take a train into Newark Penn Station, but that only works if it's held in the downtown area of Newark. Theoretically, I could also get to Trenton from the Somerville station, but that would probably take a rather long time seeing as I would have to hop trains...
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Laura

Quote from: Alps on November 12, 2014, 06:13:26 PM
There's nothing saying we can't have more than one, either.

I was thinking of hosting an open roadgeek party here in Baltimore on 1/3, actually. We have to be out of our apartment by 1/31, and I suspect we will be moving someplace smaller, so I wanted to have one last hurrah here.

12/6, 12/20, 1/31: 0%
1/3: 99% (although I'd rather host this day)
1/10, 2/21: 75%

yanksfan6129

Percent chance of my attendance on 12,20, 1/3, 1/10: 99%
Percent chance of my attendance on 12/6, 1/31, 2/21: 0%

Alps

Quote from: Laura on November 13, 2014, 10:40:15 PM

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on November 14, 2014, 12:29:26 AM
And this is why we have a poll!

Laura

Quote from: Alps on November 14, 2014, 07:52:45 AM
Quote from: Laura on November 13, 2014, 10:40:15 PM

Quote from: yanksfan6129 on November 14, 2014, 12:29:26 AM
And this is why we have a poll!

The percentages are still helpful in the case of a tiebreaker.

iPhone

Duke87

The percentages are useful because at this point there are undetermined variables that may impact attendance on any given date, so it isn't a simple yes or no question.

In my case, I have no set plans 12/6 but I may need to use the day to do other things because hey, December = Christmas. 12/20 is an almost certain no because I anticipate I'm probably moving that day. 1/3 and 1/10 are iffy because I might be moving again on one of those dates and if not might have to devote time to preparing for MAGFest. By the end of January I will probably be planted in new digs, though, and MAGfest is the weekend prior to 1/31, so I'm clear from there forward.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

1/31 looks like the favored date, so I'll start with that one. I'll see when I can get a room and go from there. Will try to get one in a place that offers parking. (:

Alps

Based on feedback, I think it would be nice to have two meets and try to get different people to come, so I'm going to set the two dates as January 10 and February 21. Still have not found a venue where people can park and not have to pay extraordinary amounts of money. Suggestions welcome.

Alps

Something arose and took out my February 21 meet, so I'm down to just the one this Saturday the 10th for now. (I may still be free on Sunday, February 22nd.)

For lack of finding a convenient open space, and for the pleasures of alcohol (I have beer! bring more!), I've decided to just have the meet here at my apartment. I have enough seating and table space for around 10-12 happy map drawers, which should be plenty. I have paper, pencils, pens, markers, etc. to cover everyone, but anything you bring is appreciated.

If you want to share in lunch, try to arrive here by around 11:30 so that we can order. Otherwise, come anytime you like. The official meet is from 1-5. Post-meet activities may include a group dinner, Cards Against Humanity, or similar.

If you don't have my address, please contact me directly. You can message me through this site if you have no other contact. Under 21s are welcome - this is not a drunkfest, just a pleasant gathering.

Roadgeek Adam

Of course, when I am still in Buffalo.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

yanksfan6129

jpi

I am out, I have a toy show in St. Louis, MO this weekend and it will be tied in with my first road geeking\ county clinching road trip of 2015 :-) the big focus areas of said trip are northern Arkansas and southeastern Kansas, especailly now that I have all of Missouri clinched.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Laura

I will also be there, sans Husband. He has other plans on Saturday.

Dougtone

I will be bringing craft beer, fine cheeses and materials in which to draw maps with.

Alps

Quote from: Dougtone on January 07, 2015, 12:30:51 PM
I will be bringing craft beer, fine cheeses and materials in which to draw maps with.
I have a small supply of chips, salsa, and beer. Anything people want to bring is welcome.
So far, no one has contacted me - I assume everyone who plans to come knows where to find me. Zeffy, can you get a day pass?

SSOWorld

Just the cheese necessary to draw with :P
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Alps

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 07, 2015, 07:59:31 PM
Just the cheese necessary to draw with :P
I really want to move to Wisconsin.

froggie

jeffandnicole

Beer, Cheese, and Roads.  Really doesn't get any better than that.

Ironically, a beerfest may prevent me from attending this Saturday.  It's in Philly, and I and my wife signed up to volunteer for the event.  Thus, we get in for free, and during breaks, volunteers are allowed to sample the beers as well.  I can only see this as going bad for us real quick! Haha.

The most I could stop up for is an hour or so at the start, so I think I'm going to bow out unfortunately.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.