News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2013 Ohio Road Meet - Cleveland (Rocks!)

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, December 30, 2012, 12:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I would most likely attend the Ohio Road Meet if it was held at...

Nelsonville-Athens (New road construction)*
1 (5.9%)
Zanesville (National Road Museum)*
1 (5.9%)
Cleveland (I-90/I-77 interchange reconstruction)
6 (35.3%)
Cincinnati (American Sign Museum)
4 (23.5%)
NW Ohio (Port-to-Fort Expressway)
5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: February 01, 2013, 12:14:58 PM

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Looking for feedback, or other meet location suggestions, for the annual Ohio get-together.

* - possibility of making a two day event since the Ohio Historical Bridge Assoc. will hold their Spring bridge tour around Marietta.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vdeane

Depending on when it is, and where I end up after graduating college in May, Ohio may or may not be in range for me, but Cleveland is the most likely, since I'm looking for a job in the western NY/finger lakes area.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Brandon

Personally, I wouldn't mind Sandusky.  :bigass:

Seriously though, Fort-to-Port would be fun as it could also go into Toledo and the surrounding areas.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

We did the American Sign Museum a few years ago during one of Pete Jenior's meets. I'd be happy with any of the other choices.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Would be nice to make this a multi-option poll. My order of preference is below:

* Fort to Port - I never saw it in Indiana, so I'd be up for that now.
* Cleveland - Need to drive the rest of the freeways, but I've seen most of the rest.
* Cincinnati - Been a few years since I've been there, but I've seen most of what I wanted to.
* Nelsonville-Athens - Need to drive new 33, but what else is there?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2012, 05:10:44 PM
We did the American Sign Museum a few years ago during one of Pete Jenior's meets. I'd be happy with any of the other choices.
That was at the old location. It has since moved. (And besides you, me, Pete, and Brian Reynolds, no one else here has visited there)

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Steve on December 30, 2012, 08:29:50 PM
Would be nice to make this a multi-option poll. My order of preference is below:

* Fort to Port - I never saw it in Indiana, so I'd be up for that now.
* Cleveland - Need to drive the rest of the freeways, but I've seen most of the rest.
* Cincinnati - Been a few years since I've been there, but I've seen most of what I wanted to.
* Nelsonville-Athens - Need to drive new 33, but what else is there?
Nelsonville-Athens would be Nelsonville bypass, Athens and either Parkersburg/Marietta (US 50) or Pomeroy/Ravenswood (Ohio River bridges).
A total loop consisting of Athens-Pomeroy-Ravenswood-Parkersburg would be 140 miles. Too long for one meet, IMO.

vdeane

We did over 150 miles for St. Lawrence county, though it's easier with a small group than with a large one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

When I travel by myself, I use Google maps, break every 2 hours along the route (roughly), and round down to the nearest 15 minutes. When I have a meet planned, I use Google maps, break at every stop, round UP to the nearest 15 minutes, and then add 15 for a short stop, 30 for a long stop, and 45 for a stop with a photo or that requires a bridge walk. Let's say you have 1 short, 2 long, and 1 photo/walk stop in 140 miles, and let's say you average 40 mph. I'd expect that meet to last roughly 6 hours from the time you leave - 4 for driving and 2 for the stops.

Duke87

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 31, 2012, 12:21:48 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 30, 2012, 05:10:44 PM
That was at the old location. It has since moved. (And besides you, me, Pete, and Brian Reynolds, no one else here has visited there)

I was there with my father a couple years ago. It's an interesting place, although it really doesn't have much to do with roads.

I don't know how likely I really am to go to Ohio for a road meet, but it'd be doable. Cleveland would be best for me, followed by Nelsonville-Athens and then Zanesville. Fort to Port and Cincinnati would be no.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Roadgeek Adam

Cleveland would be my top choice for more reasons than just a road meet. I have a lot of research in the area I want to see so it would be of great importance to see the suburbs.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

CanesFan27

Hot Rod Hootenanny

CanesFan27

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 02, 2013, 06:00:19 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 02, 2013, 09:37:20 AM
Marc Fannin's House
Right after someone hosts a Pittsburgh roadgeek house tour.

Sandor,

Funny you should suggest that but when I do visit home - I've had roadgeeks over at my parents house for 4th of July parties. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/4789171880/in/set-72157624482663966). Steve, Jeff, and Brian have been over for the fourth.

And we've had numerous ones stay over at either my former apartment(s) or at our current home now for years.  I'd say at least eight or ten folks have crashed at wherever I lived over the years.  Plus, I did have a roadmeet in March of 2001 at my apartment in Fayetteville.

So yes, it's been done!

Alps

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 02, 2013, 09:05:18 PM
Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 02, 2013, 06:00:19 PM
Quote from: CanesFan27 on January 02, 2013, 09:37:20 AM
Marc Fannin's House
Right after someone hosts a Pittsburgh roadgeek house tour.

Sandor,

Funny you should suggest that but when I do visit home - I've had roadgeeks over at my parents house for 4th of July parties. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/4789171880/in/set-72157624482663966). Steve, Jeff, and Brian have been over for the fourth.

And we've had numerous ones stay over at either my former apartment(s) or at our current home now for years.  I'd say at least eight or ten folks have crashed at wherever I lived over the years.  Plus, I did have a roadmeet in March of 2001 at my apartment in Fayetteville.

So yes, it's been done!

Great, schedule another one then.

CanesFan27

Dr Frankenstein

Any is doable for me, but Cleveland is the closest and most likely.

A.J. Bertin

Brian Rawson-Ketchum just hosted a Fort-to-Port meet in November 2009, so my suggestion would be any of the other options.

This is my preference:

1st choice - Cincinnati
2nd choice - Cleveland
3rd choice - Nelsonville/Athens
4th choice - Zanesville
5th choice - Fort to Port

When was the last time a road meet took place in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Nelsonville/Athens, or Zanesville?
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

There have been two meets in Cincinnati. The last one was in 2005, but it sure seems like it was more recently than that.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Cinncy is the most doable for me for a meet, leave my house at the crack of dawn and be up there by 11, if it ends up being in Cleveland, if its the last Saturday in March, that may be doable too, I plan to go to central PA that week for family\ friends.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on January 07, 2013, 01:20:34 PM
There have been two meets in Cincinnati. The last one was in 2005, but it sure seems like it was more recently than that.
Fall of 2002 and Christmas/New Years 2005/6 were the two Cincy meets that Pete Jenior organized.
Since AJ asked, last Cleveland meet was 2004, No prior meets in Zanesville or Nelsonville to my knowledge.

DanTheMan414

It's been 9 years since we've had a roads meet in the Cleveland area, and a lot has happened in that time.  The 2010 Meet in the Akron-Canton area did zip up into the SE Cleveland vicinity to cover the ongoing work of the OH 8 freeway extension, which is now fully functioning.  Fort-to-Port would be a great option, as well...US 24 has come a long way in the last few years.  Those are both equal for my vote for the 2013 Ohio Roads Meet.

SSOWorld

When do you plan on scheduling the meet?  I'd like to find out so I can schedule Dubuque.  I'm thinking May for mine, but I don't want to intrude.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

DanTheMan414

Perhaps late April or early May?  Except last year when it was done in early June, it's been in May for most of the last several years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.