News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What would you do?

Started by Mergingtraffic, June 01, 2017, 03:53:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevalDragon

1. Wait. If you honk at me at a red light, even if turning right, I turn the car off and wait for it to turn green.

2. Wait. He doesn't have to pull up to let you get into the right turn lane. Defensive driving teaches you to stop one car length behind. This is very seldom done in reality.

3. Do nothing. It's not my problem he's in a hurry. I'm going to continue to pass safely and move over to the right lane when it is safe to do so.

4. Pass on the right and keep going. Nothing you can do will help somebody this inconsiderate / clueless and/or distracted.

1995hoo

Quote from: DevalDragon on June 03, 2017, 02:10:11 AM

2. Wait. He doesn't have to pull up to let you get into the right turn lane. Defensive driving teaches you to stop one car length behind. This is very seldom done in reality.

That's why you beep the horn, not blast it: It's asking someone to do the polite thing and pull up a little so you can get into the turn lane. Courteous drivers pay attention to their surroundings, rather than burying their heads in their mobile phones the way I see so many people doing these days, and that includes pulling up to let someone turn.

Also, a whole carlength? When I learned to drive, the instructor emphasized stopping only as far back as allowed you to see the bottoms of the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you. That way you have some space, yet you're not leaving the massive gaps that seem to be a fad today that prevent other people from accessing the turn lanes. Maybe leave a little extra room on a hill in case the car ahead of you rolls back.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Beltway

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 03, 2017, 03:41:06 PM
That's why you beep the horn, not blast it: It's asking someone to do the polite thing and pull up a little so you can get into the turn lane. Courteous drivers pay attention to their surroundings, rather than burying their heads in their mobile phones the way I see so many people doing these days, and that includes pulling up to let someone turn.

Also, a whole carlength? When I learned to drive, the instructor emphasized stopping only as far back as allowed you to see the bottoms of the rear tires of the vehicle in front of you. That way you have some space, yet you're not leaving the massive gaps that seem to be a fad today that prevent other people from accessing the turn lanes. Maybe leave a little extra room on a hill in case the car ahead of you rolls back.

Look at how many drivers don't even know how to use a turn signal.  The more complex tasks are even more sporadically done properly.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

1995hoo

Heh. Regarding turn signals, WTOP had a recent report about how people turn off the lane-warning system on new cars. My wife just got a TLX last weekend and now I understand why those people turn off that feature: It will resist if you try to change lanes without using your blinker, and too many people consider themselves exempt from using blinkers!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Amtrakprod

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on June 01, 2017, 03:53:35 PM
A couple "what would you do" questions:

If you're at a T signalized intersection and there's a left and right exclusive turn lane.  You're in the right turn lane and there's someone at the light that doesn't turn right on red and it's a long light with no prohibition and no traffic on the cross street.  Do you honk to nudge them? or wait?

If you're at a signalized intersection with left, straight and right turn lanes, and you're in the straight lane but you want to turn right into the right hand turn lane but can't because somebody in the straight lane is blocking you from entering the right turn lane because they didn't move up as much as they could to the car in front of them...do you honk or wait?

If you're on a 2-lane limited access highway and you pass a car that's in the right lane and you see a car in the left lane that's way back there (you move into the left lane to pass the said car in the right lane b/c there's more than enough room for you to move over) and the left lane car honks and flashes his lights at you.  You're going 75, speed limit is 55.  What do you do? Ignore him? take your time? hurry up?

Or person in left lane of limited access highway going 50.  Do you flash your lights, honk or just go around?
1. Don't honk ! You're not first in line, there could be a sign you don't see, there could be pedestrians or bicycles in the crosswalk, or even oncoming cars. All the honking does is stress them out, you don't need to crash. Take it slow, and wait for the signal to turn green.

2. Chill out ! Signal will change and you'll be able to turn right soon.

iPhone
Roadgeek, railfan, and crossing signal fan. From Massachusetts, and in high school. Youtube is my website link. Loves FYAs signals. Interest in Bicycle Infrastructure. Owns one Leotech Pedestrian Signal, and a Safetran Type 1 E bell.

Rothman

The situation occurred five years ago...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.