What is Your States Most Famous Route?

Started by silverback1065, October 24, 2021, 11:11:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 25, 2021, 11:42:43 AM
Quote from: Henry on October 25, 2021, 11:38:38 AM
CA, OR and WA would have these:

I-5, US 101 and SR 99.
I think CA 1 may beat out CA 99 for CA's state route.

Still deciding between US 66 and US 101 for US route. US 66 as a whole is more nationally known, but US 101 runs on the Golden Gate Bridge, which is a nationally known bridge.

I would agree.  People have heard of the PCH all across the country.  No one has heard of CA99 except people that have driven in California.

US101 exists; US66 does not.  That seems to be a major deciding factor. :)

Chris

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 11:45:09 AM
With California either US Route 66 or California State Route 1 with US Route 101 somewhere in the background in third.  US 466 is indirectly famous for being the highway feature in the Grapes of Wrath and with the death of James Dean.  Amusingly Steinbeck calls Tehachapi US 66 and everyone calls the crash site of James Dean the current designation of CA 46.  Pertaining to US 99 and it's successor CA 99 it isn't really well known outside of West Coast circles.  I don't hear very many out of state folks clamoring to "see the Ridge Route"  as an example.
It's US-101. By comparison, no others deserve a mention.

bing101

With California either US Route 66 or California State Route 1 with US Route 101 somewhere in the background in third.  US 466 is indirectly famous for being the highway feature in the Grapes of Wrath and with the death of James Dean.  Amusingly Steinbeck calls Tehachapi US 66 and everyone calls the crash site of James Dean the current designation of CA 46.  Pertaining to US 99 and it's successor CA 99 it isn't really well known outside of West Coast circles.  I don't hear very many out of state folks clamoring to "see the Ridge Route"  as an example.

With California I-5, I-10 or I-80 Would have to be in the mix as most famous route along with CA-1 and US-101.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on October 25, 2021, 12:22:17 PM
Nah.  CA-1.

Or...just the Golden Gate Bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

US 66 is a huge deal with the regular folks.  I would probably say that the US 66 people are much larger of an overall crowd than those who have interest in CA 1.  CA 1 has a lot of outdoorsy type followers given there are a ton of hiking trails along it. 

Quote from: bing101 on October 25, 2021, 12:49:04 PM

With California I-5, I-10 or I-80 Would have to be in the mix as most famous route along with CA-1 and US-101.

No Interstate in California is "famous"  to the regular folks crowd. 

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 12:57:23 PM
^^^

US 66 is a huge deal with the regular folks.  I would probably say that the US 66 people are much larger of an overall crowd than those who have interest in CA 1.  CA 1 has a lot of outdoorsy type followers given there are a ton of hiking trails along it. 

Quote from: bing101 on October 25, 2021, 12:49:04 PM

No Interstate in California is "famous"  to the regular folks crowd.
5?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Have I missed it, or has no one chimed in with A1A for Florida yet?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2021, 01:14:30 PM
With Disney, I'd wonder if it would be I-4.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on October 25, 2021, 02:21:49 PM

I would probably say US 1 on the Overseas Highway is by far the most famous in the state followed by A1A.  A lot of out of state folk know about the Tamiami Trail through the Everglades and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  I would probably rank I-4 in a tie with the Turnpike after those four examples.

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 02:38:57 PM

I would probably say US 1 on the Overseas Highway is by far the most famous in the state followed by A1A.  A lot of out of state folk know about the Tamiami Trail through the Everglades and the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  I would probably rank I-4 in a tie with the Turnpike after those four examples.
US 1's a good one.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on October 25, 2021, 02:53:53 PM

US 1's a good one.

I disagree and say A1A is more famous than US1.  Most people know absolutely nothing about roads in their own state much less others'.  But, thanks to Vanilla Ice, people know A1A, Beachfront Avenue.  Has to be the winner.

Chris

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 25, 2021, 02:55:02 PM

US 1's a good one.

I disagree and say A1A is more famous than US1.  Most people know absolutely nothing about roads in their own state much less others'.  But, thanks to Vanilla Ice, people know A1A, Beachfront Avenue.  Has to be the winner.

Chris

Put it this way, most people can't even name a notable location on any segment of A1A (including Key West).  Most people would probably instantly associate Key West with the Overseas Highway though.  At minimum I think there needs to be someone more weighty than the go who sung the Ninja Turtles Rap (go ninja, go ninja, go) to sway what I saw in person living in Florida. 

JayhawkCO

I guess we're defining fame differently.  I guess I look at it from the perspective of a non road geek.  I doubt most people even know what the Florida Keys look like, much less that there's a big highway that connects them all.  I think they know Key West is in Florida, but almost no one could tell you what road gets you there. 

People do know the worst karaokied song of all time.

YMMV.

Chris

skluth

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 25, 2021, 02:55:02 PM

US 1's a good one.

Chris

More people know A1A from the Jimmy Buffett album than some reference to a one-hit rap star.

SkyPesos

Isn't the "Begin US 1 / Mile 0" sign one of the most well known and photographed road signs out there?

Roadgeekteen

For locals, MA 128

For outsiders, probably the Big Dig
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 25, 2021, 03:39:40 PM
For locals, MA 128

For outsiders, probably the Big Dig
The Big Dig is interesting to me because it's one of the very few instances of New England states actually paying attention to the quality of their roads in the 21st century.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 25, 2021, 03:36:56 PM
Isn't the "Begin US 1 / Mile 0" sign one of the most well known and photographed road signs out there?

Yes, if not the most popular. 

skluth

I'd argue in California, once you exclude the decommissioned US 66 the most famous route is the Golden Gate Bridge over Rodeo Drive or Sunset Blvd, all of which the average person around the world is more likely to know than CA 1 (which crosses the Golden Gate Bridge). A route doesn't need a number as the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Oversea Highway, and Lake Pontchartrain Causeway demonstrate.

I'd also argue the most famous route in several East Coast states is the Appalachian Trail, though in NC it might be the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Elroy-Sparta Trail may be the most famous route in Wisconsin as it's the world's first rail-to-trail bike trail. You're all being far too road geek and car-centric on defining "Famous Route."

thspfc

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 25, 2021, 03:35:01 PM
I guess we're defining fame differently.  I guess I look at it from the perspective of a non road geek.  I doubt most people even know what the Florida Keys look like, much less that there's a big highway that connects them all.  I think they know Key West is in Florida, but almost no one could tell you what road gets you there. 

People do know the worst karaokied song of all time.

YMMV.

Chris
My mileage definitely varies here. The Keys are a popular one night trip from Miami/vacation destination in themselves. US-1 up and down the Keys is known by a good chunk of non-roadgeeks.

But I think Florida's most famous (and infamous) highway has to be the Turnpike. "Floridians are crazy drivers" is a well-known cultural stereotype, and the first road that is brought up is usually the Turnpike.

thspfc

Quote from: Rothman on October 25, 2021, 12:52:56 PM
Nah.  CA-1.

Which is also US-101, though most don't know that.

Rothman

Quote from: thspfc on October 25, 2021, 03:52:38 PM
Nah.  CA-1.

Some people on here use some document to say it isn't (CA legislation defining the routes?).  :D

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Ha, beat me to it.

Nah.  CA-1.

Interesting to note; the Golden Gate Bridge actually is a California Legislative route definition gap for CA 1:

https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE001.html

Same as US 101:

https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE101.html

That said, I believe the AASHTO definition of US 101 has it clearly aligned over the Golden Gate Bridge.  I believe the actual documents are in the AASHTO Database.

fillup420

Quote from: RoadRebel on October 24, 2021, 11:59:22 PM
Quote from: fillup420 on October 24, 2021, 12:35:11 PM
North Carolina:

I-85, hits the 3 largest population centers (Triangle, Greensboro, Charlotte). Busy long-haul corridor with tons of commercial and industrial centers along the way. The expansion projects between charlotte and greensboro really brought the corridor to life. I still remember the old bridge over the Yadkin river. it was narrow and sketchy, with an awkward left exit just north of it.

NC 12, legendary coastal route along the OBX. Anyone who's been out there knows how unique NC 12 is.

US highway is a tricky one. I say its between US 70 and US 74. Both route traverse the entire state west to east and go through many different types of terrain and towns. US 64 does as well, but it seems to be less well-known outside of the Raleigh-OBX segment.

now for infamous its obvious:

I-95

Although not a regular route (commercial vehicles are banned), we also have the famed Blue Ridge Parkway.

How did I forget about the Parkway??

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 25, 2021, 04:08:23 PM
^^^

Ha, beat me to it.

Nah.  CA-1.

Interesting to note; the Golden Gate Bridge actually is a California Legislative route definition gap for CA 1:

https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE001.html

Same as US 101:

https://www.cahighways.org/ROUTE101.html

That said, I believe the AASHTO definition of US 101 has it clearly aligned over the Golden Gate Bridge.  I believe the actual documents are in the AASHTO Database.
Seems like Caltrans is just being obnoxious.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.