News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Vacant Walmart stores

Started by tolbs17, March 02, 2022, 04:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Edited title of the thread.

Ayden, NC. It's been vacant for more than 5 years now. Dollar General probably will relocate from the Food Lion shopping center which is right next door into this building. I'm surprised that they haven't made any efforts to do so yet because they relocated from 2 other shopping centers into a own standalone or vacant building.

Stores like Dollar Tree, General, and Family Dollar have been focusing on opening standalone locations

https://goo.gl/maps/CxmbVXURioNNwMVv7

To add, there's one in Wadesboro, NC. Shut down a month after the pandemic started.

https://goo.gl/maps/DtPQsMvAxzDJ1VfEA

SkyPesos

That's an oddly specific topic. I've never heard of Walmart express stores until this thread.

dlsterner

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 02, 2022, 04:59:26 PM
Here. It's been vacant for more than 5 years now. Dollar General probably will relocate from the Food Lion shopping center which is right next door into this building. I'm surprised that they haven't made any efforts to do so yet because they relocated from 2 other shopping centers into a own standalone or vacant building.

Stores like Dollar Tree, General, and Family Dollar have been focusing on opening standalone locations

https://goo.gl/maps/CxmbVXURioNNwMVv7

Note that Tolbs didn't give any textual location information other than "Here".

It could be anywhere in the world, so I took a wild guess with "Greenville NC".  Guess what?  I was pretty darn close!

hotdogPi

There's a place literally called Here in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

zzcarp

We had two not far from me in the northwest Denver metro area.

One was at W 64th Ave and Indiana Street (CO-72) in Arvada. It closed probably 5 years ago or so due to a larger Super Walmart opening nearby at Ralston Ave and Independence Street. The site is now a church.

The other is at the other end of my city, Westminster, at Federal Blvd (US 287) and W 72nd Ave. That was great for the community, and I shopped there many times. It closed at some point during the pandemic. The building is still there and vacant.
So many miles and so many roads

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 02, 2022, 07:24:17 PM
That's an oddly specific topic. I've never heard of Walmart express stores until this thread.

I'm guessing they're the same as or similar to the Walmart Neighborhood stores, which I believe are now just called Walmart.

abefroman329

I know we had 2 or 3 in the city that were called one or more (or none) of the following: Walmart Market, Walmart Neighborhood, Walmart Express.

For whatever reason, the idea of convenience stores branded with the name of a supermarket/hypermarket chain works much better in England than it does here.

formulanone

Most of the Walmart Neighborhood Market stores in North Alabama closed up after a year or two. Some stuck around, and ironically, some became Dollar Generals or Family Dollar, the concepts they were trying to compete with.

Most of the staples you need, with 80% less Walmartian chaos. Basically what supermarkets are like in small towns or before they all became gargantuan. The produce section wasn't well-kept, though. And you could forget about finding anything more exotic than sriracha sauce.

Rothman

I really liked our Walmart Neighborhood store, but it shut down only three or so years after it opened.  Opened right near a Target and an Aldi, so I think competition was an issue.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

There's one somewhere in Chesterfield, VA. It didn't have any immediate competition close by, so its closure was a bit surprising to me.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jp the roadgeek

There were two Neighborhood Markets near me in CT that came and went within 5 years.  One (Bristol) was on the same road (US 6) as a (still) existing full-size Walmart; it remains vacant.  The other (West Hartford) was repurposed into a newer concept Target, which seems to be a better fit for the clientele in the area. A couple of full-size Walmarts have come and gone since they moved in here about 30 years ago.  New Britain had one that was a former Bradlee's, then it moved into a vacated Caldor location.  That location closed and is now an indoor self-storage place (the first location was torn down and is now part of a bank processing center).  Another one in Derby closed and is now a Big Y, and the original location in Wallingford is now a Lowe's after Walmart moved down the street to the former Super Kmart. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Scott5114

The Walmart in Lindsay, Oklahoma opened as a Walmart Express, but once the concept was dropped it was far enough from another Walmart, and thus made enough money, that Walmart opted to keep it open. I've heard that it is apparently one of the smallest full Walmarts in the chain.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

The Seattle metro area has 3 neighborhood markets that don't seem to be changing their branding anytime soon.

Related fun fact: Seattle proper has no Walmarts. In fact, King County only has 7 locations (1 of them being a neighborhood market), of which 3 are located in a 9-mile triangle around Federal Way and Auburn.

LM117

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 02, 2022, 09:41:54 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 02, 2022, 07:24:17 PM

I'm guessing they're the same as or similar to the Walmart Neighborhood stores, which I believe are now just called Walmart.

Walmart Express was basically a smaller sized Neighborhood Market. Walmart built Express stores a decade ago to compete with Dollar General and Family Dollar. It didn't work out well, and Walmart closed them all within 5 years. After the closures were announced, Walmart struck a deal with DG, so almost all of the Express buildings were taken over by DG. The Walmart Neighborhood Market name is still the same.

For an example of the size of the Express stores, go on Google Maps and look at DG in Yanceyville, NC and Pikeville, NC. Those were former Express stores.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

hotdogPi

Quote from: formulanone on March 02, 2022, 10:39:33 PM
Dollar Generals

Dollars General. Just like Surgeons General and Attorneys General.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

SkyPesos

Quote from: Bruce on March 03, 2022, 02:08:48 AM
Related fun fact: Seattle proper has no Walmarts. In fact, King County only has 7 locations (1 of them being a neighborhood market), of which 3 are located in a 9-mile triangle around Federal Way and Auburn.
There aren't any Walmarts in NYC proper either.

roadman65

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 03, 2022, 09:02:52 AM

Because they would have to charge double on all that they sell.  :bigass:

Plus where in Manhattan can you put one without leasing. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Mr. Matté

Quote from: 1 on March 02, 2022, 09:14:24 PM
There's a place literally called Here in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

I'm surprised there's no Here, North Carolina.

This is the closest instance of that

snowc

We have one in Coats (had  :spin:)
Soon the ones became Dollar General, moving from the old spot to a new one in Walmart Express.
One problem. NO RECEIPTS AT THE GAS STATION!  :pan:

Scott5114

We basically only hit up the Neighborhood Market in Norman when we only need a few things and feel too lazy to drive to Crest.

We never call it by name, though. It's Smallmart.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ran4sh

Quote from: roadman65 on March 03, 2022, 09:05:17 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 03, 2022, 09:02:52 AM

Because they would have to charge double on all that they sell.  :bigass:

Plus where in Manhattan can you put one without leasing. 

I'm not sure Walmart ever wanted to put a store in Manhattan anyway. There is a location in Brooklyn where they intended to put one, but of course the city did not approve of it (and it became a different big-box store instead).
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

hbelkins

Neighborhood Markets are decked out in green, as opposed to regular Walmart's blue, right?

I have been in one Neighborhood Market, a few years ago. Looked basically like a Walmart grocery section with the expected home goods one would find in a grocery store.

There may be a few older empty Walmart buildings in my area. One I'm fairly sure hasn't had anything move into it is the one in Welch, WV.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

I haven't seen a Walmart Neighborhood Store in years. I believe last time I saw one was around 2014 in Arkansas.

Flint1979

Detroit doesn't have any Walmart's either in the city limits. Closest Walmart to Detroit's city limits is the one in Dearborn on the northside of Ford Road east of the Southfield. If it was on the other side of the Southfield it'd be in Detroit. Meijer has two stores plus the Rivertown Market store in Detroit's city limits.

skluth

A problem with Walmarts particularly is their habit of moving between adjacent communities, leaving the old community with a large empty store. This is compounded by their requesting, and usually getting, tax breaks (usually TIFs) on the new property. Other companies play this game too, but I have not seen any company use it as much as Walmart. Amazon may get this way as they also seek out and frequently get TIFs on new buildings, but they're growing so fast that I don't know if they've closed any old warehouses fulfillment centers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.