Indicators of Driving Ability and Enjoyment

Started by webny99, July 09, 2022, 06:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

A bit of an odd thread title, but what I'm wondering is, what indicators do you find tell you a lot about someone when it comes to their driving skills?

The two big ones for me are merges and lane changes. To me competence in those two things tells me a lot about someone's driving habits, skill and experience level, and even their enjoyment of driving. You could also include passing on two-lane roads as many drivers, even those with plenty of driving experience, are hesitant to do so.

Personally I found that after a few years of driving, my competence reached a certain point and hasn't changed much since then. I wouldn't say I'm a great driver by any stretch but I would say I am a lot more comfortable with merges and lane changes than many other drivers. Especially when it comes to freeway driving, I try to maintain both KRETP and a smooth driving experience even if it means changing lanes quite a lot, and sometimes hopping more than one lane at a time.

And yet I recognize that everyone is different and to some people, driving just isn't their thing, and that's OK. To me a lane change is not something that interrupts the flow of driving at all, yet to others, it's a process that makes them nervous for fear of getting cut off or cutting someone else off, preoccupies them and they end up losing 10+ mph of speed while doing so instead of doing it seamlessly. And the same goes for merges. Those who merge early and/or well below speed may just be nervous or lack confidence in their abilities along with a lack of understanding of what the acceleration lane is for.

Recognizing that everyone has different abilities, skill levels, and interest level in driving has helped me become more courteous and respectful of others who may be less comfortable while driving and frankly, not as good at it.  :biggrin:

andrepoiy

Negotiating weird merges (like those with very short to no accel lane) and not freaking out

skluth

Drivers who need way too much space around them scare me. You've seen them. Drivers who leave at least one car length between them and the car stopped in front of them at a red light. Drivers who avoid the right lane on the freeway yet insist on keeping a quarter-mile in front of them. Drivers who take forever to park their car, whether in a lot or on the street; parallel parking is their kryptonite. Drivers that hold their steering wheel in some sort of stiff-armed death grip and have a deer-in-the-headlights stare. They often have bumper stickers saying "if you can read this, you're driving too close" that can be read from the next block. I try to get past them as quickly as possible, preferably at least two lanes over when I can because I don't trust them.

I see plenty of them in So Cal but the worst was when I lived in Tidewater. I think most of them were military spouses from overseas.

Max Rockatansky

People who frequently drive mountain roads (paved or not) in my observation seem to enjoy driving and be more skilled than the average person. 

paulthemapguy

A friend from the mountains of West Virginia told me that I drive really well in the mountains for a flatlander. That made me feel really good, and I like to hone my skills as a mountain driver whenever I can. I'd like to impress people to the point at which they don't think I'm from supremely-flat Illinois.

The most impressive driving behavior is exhibited when driving is on hard mode.  Hard mode activates in rugged terrain, city traffic, and in really built-up areas. I also like seeing when people drive in a way that optimizes rider comfort without sacrificing too much efficiency/mobility. Jerky drivers leave much to be desired.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

webny99

Quote from: andrepoiy on July 11, 2022, 05:24:13 PM
Negotiating weird merges (like those with very short to no accel lane) and not freaking out

Yes, and here's a specific example that I was thinking of: this entrance ramp to NY 104 from Holt Rd in Webster, NY. If you follow the ramp around the corner, note that it has its own acceleration lane with a standard taper, and then in about 1000 feet on the left there's a slip ramp to the freeway.

I just treat it like a normal acceleration lane (though lower-speed than normal, as the speed limit is 40), merge left, then merge left again in plenty of time to take the slip ramp. However some people will ignore the acceleration lane entirely and come to a complete stop roughly where the Land Rover is in the Street View link, wait for both lanes to be clear, and then cross directly into the far left lane to be in position to get on the freeway. When that happens, it's truly worthy of the :banghead:. That to me is a classic example of lacking confidence in one's driving ability... either that or just not understanding how merges work; it's hard to tell which sometimes!

epzik8

Whether they changes lanes on a solid line, which is prohibited.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

GaryV

Quote from: epzik8 on July 12, 2022, 06:46:35 AM

No, it's not.  https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2003/part3/part3b1.htm

QuoteWhere crossing the lane line markings with care is permitted, the lane line markings shall consist of a normal broken white line.

Where crossing the lane line markings is discouraged, the lane line markings shall consist of a normal solid white line.

Option:
Solid white lane line markings may be used to separate through traffic lanes from auxiliary lanes, such as uphill truck lanes, left- or right-turn lanes, and preferential lanes. They may also be used to separate traffic lanes approaching an intersection.

Wide solid lane line markings may be used for greater emphasis.

Standard:
Where crossing the lane line markings is prohibited, the lane line markings shall consist of two normal solid white lines.

"Discouraged" does not mean "prohibited".

SectorZ

For "driving ability", backing into parking spaces. Especially after a murder case near Boston was solved years ago in part due to it.

(To make it brief, husband said wife left him and her car was found backed into a space at a shopping center in Stoneham. She had a terrible driving record and he had a good one, and it set off the police's BS meter. They later found he parked it there and found out he killed her)

7/8

Quote from: webny99 on July 11, 2022, 10:54:14 PM
Quote from: andrepoiy on July 11, 2022, 05:24:13 PM

Yes, and here's a specific example that I was thinking of: this entrance ramp to NY 104 from Holt Rd in Webster, NY. If you follow the ramp around the corner, note that it has its own acceleration lane with a standard taper, and then in about 1000 feet on the left there's a slip ramp to the freeway.

I just treat it like a normal acceleration lane (though lower-speed than normal, as the speed limit is 40), merge left, then merge left again in plenty of time to take the slip ramp. However some people will ignore the acceleration lane entirely and come to a complete stop roughly where the Land Rover is in the Street View link, wait for both lanes to be clear, and then cross directly into the far left lane to be in position to get on the freeway. When that happens, it's truly worthy of the :banghead:. That to me is a classic example of lacking confidence in one's driving ability... either that or just not understanding how merges work; it's hard to tell which sometimes!

That reminds me of this location, where the channelized right turn starts its own lane. I've seen many people come to a complete stop, and even wait for traffic to pass through on the adjacent lane even though there's no yield sign. :pan:

This feels more like an indicator for an aggressive driver than a bad driver IMO.

Quote from: SectorZ on July 12, 2022, 07:17:19 AM
For "driving ability", backing into parking spaces. Especially after a murder case near Boston was solved years ago in part due to it.

(To make it brief, husband said wife left him and her car was found backed into a space at a shopping center in Stoneham. She had a terrible driving record and he had a good one, and it set off the police's BS meter. They later found he parked it there and found out he killed her)

Ironically I find it easier to back into spaces nowadays with backup cameras. I also have "bubble" mirrors I installed on the side view mirrors which make it very easy to see the sides of my car and the parking stall lines when backing up. On the other hand, pulling into a spot I can't use either of those and it's more challenging to judge how far forward to pull in. A lot of parking curbs are just high enough to hit my front bumper, but too low for my parking sensors to pick up.

7/8

As for my own answer for an "indicator of driving ability", remembering to turn on headlights in low visibility conditions (night, fog, rain, etc.). It's painful how many people don't do this!

JayhawkCO

I think my #1 is not needing to use the brakes as much as possible. If you see a slowdown ahead, don't keep charging right up to the group and then slamming on your brakes. Pay attention to what's in front of you, let your foot off the gas, and then you can ease onto the brakes long in advance of any traffic.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on July 09, 2022, 06:53:58 PM
A bit of an odd thread title, but what I'm wondering is, what indicators do you find tell you a lot about someone when it comes to their driving skills?

The two big ones for me are merges and lane changes. To me competence in those two things tells me a lot about someone's driving habits, skill and experience level, and even their enjoyment of driving. You could also include passing on two-lane roads as many drivers, even those with plenty of driving experience, are hesitant to do so.

Personally I found that after a few years of driving, my competence reached a certain point and hasn't changed much since then. I wouldn't say I'm a great driver by any stretch but I would say I am a lot more comfortable with merges and lane changes than many other drivers. Especially when it comes to freeway driving, I try to maintain both KRETP and a smooth driving experience even if it means changing lanes quite a lot, and sometimes hopping more than one lane at a time.

And yet I recognize that everyone is different and to some people, driving just isn't their thing, and that's OK. To me a lane change is not something that interrupts the flow of driving at all, yet to others, it's a process that makes them nervous for fear of getting cut off or cutting someone else off, preoccupies them and they end up losing 10+ mph of speed while doing so instead of doing it seamlessly. And the same goes for merges. Those who merge early and/or well below speed may just be nervous or lack confidence in their abilities along with a lack of understanding of what the acceleration lane is for.

Recognizing that everyone has different abilities, skill levels, and interest level in driving has helped me become more courteous and respectful of others who may be less comfortable while driving and frankly, not as good at it.  :biggrin:

Posting videos of yourself driving poorly and then sharing them on a road message board are indicators of someone who's not a very good driver.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 12, 2022, 01:26:50 PM
I think my #1 is not needing to use the brakes as much as possible. If you see a slowdown ahead, don't keep charging right up to the group and then slamming on your brakes. Pay attention to what's in front of you, let your foot off the gas, and then you can ease onto the brakes long in advance of any traffic.

:clap:

1995hoo

Something that regularly makes me say "lousy driver" is people who incorrectly get into a turn lane, or an exit-only lane, or into a thru lane to the far side of the road from where they want to exit, and instead of just going ahead and making the turn (or taking the exit) and then making a U-turn to come back, or going on to the next exit and then turning around, they become determined that everyone else is somehow required to let them go the way they wanted to go, regardless of whether it means coming to a stop on the Interstate, going straight out of a turn-only lane that is obstructed on the far side by a curb, etc. A few weeks ago, a guy who was behind me and to my right who was in a right-turn-only lane got mad and started blasting the horn at me (I was in the straight-thru lane) when I didn't stop to let him go straight when the light turned green. He could have just made a right turn, cut an immediate U-turn around the curb island there, and made a right on red, and had he done that he would have been through the light before it had changed, but no, he wanted to go straight and he felt he had a right to do exactly that.

As my driver's ed instructor way back when said, there are three legal ways to get out of a turn-only lane: (1) Make the turn in the designated direction. (2) Leave the lane when directed to do so by law-enforcement personnel directing traffic. (3) Call a tow truck.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 12, 2022, 02:42:05 PM
Something that regularly makes me say "lousy driver" is people who incorrectly get into a turn lane, or an exit-only lane, or into a thru lane to the far side of the road from where they want to exit, and instead of just going ahead and making the turn (or taking the exit) and then making a U-turn to come back, or going on to the next exit and then turning around, they become determined that everyone else is somehow required to let them go the way they wanted to go, regardless of whether it means coming to a stop on the Interstate, going straight out of a turn-only lane that is obstructed on the far side by a curb, etc. A few weeks ago, a guy who was behind me and to my right who was in a right-turn-only lane got mad and started blasting the horn at me (I was in the straight-thru lane) when I didn't stop to let him go straight when the light turned green. He could have just made a right turn, cut an immediate U-turn around the curb island there, and made a right on red, and had he done that he would have been through the light before it had changed, but no, he wanted to go straight and he felt he had a right to do exactly that.

As my driver's ed instructor way back when said, there are three legal ways to get out of a turn-only lane: (1) Make the turn in the designated direction. (2) Leave the lane when directed to do so by law-enforcement personnel directing traffic. (3) Call a tow truck.

Amen to that. Similarly, when there are multiple turn lanes, getting in the wrong one when you need to make another immediate turn.

webny99

Something that regularly makes me say "lousy driver" is people who incorrectly get into a turn lane, or an exit-only lane, or into a thru lane to the far side of the road from where they want to exit, and instead of just going ahead and making the turn (or taking the exit) and then making a U-turn to come back, or going on to the next exit and then turning around, they become determined that everyone else is somehow required to let them go the way they wanted to go, regardless of whether it means coming to a stop on the Interstate, going straight out of a turn-only lane that is obstructed on the far side by a curb, etc.  ...

With this, it comes down to why they ended up in the wrong lane. Of course, it's not always readily apparent, but I try not to get too put out by it unless it was obviously an aggressive maneuver to get ahead of someone (or cut across 3+ lanes to take an exit at the last second) rather than just an honest mistake (or even a change of plans after entering the turn lane).

Quote from: JayhawkCO on July 12, 2022, 02:44:36 PM
Similarly, when there are multiple turn lanes, getting in the wrong one when you need to make another immediate turn.

I must confess I am guilty of doing that intentionally on occasion. If one lane has a much shorter line, I usually prefer to take the shorter line and figure it out later, rather than increase the disparity between the lanes and/or risk waiting another light cycle. Of course it depends on how soon the second turn is - the one I'm immediately thinking of is about 800 feet (with another intersection in between).

Now to me, being able to find a spot to merge in those 800 feet without cutting anyone off or being an obstruction, is itself something that requires competence.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2022, 03:11:20 PM
Similarly, when there are multiple turn lanes, getting in the wrong one when you need to make another immediate turn.

I must confess I am guilty of doing that intentionally on occasion. If one lane has a much shorter line, I usually prefer to take the shorter line and figure it out later, rather than increase the disparity between the lanes and/or risk waiting another light cycle. Of course it depends on how soon the second turn is - the one I'm immediately thinking of is about 800 feet (with another intersection in between).

Now to me, being able to find a spot to merge in those 800 feet without cutting anyone off or being an obstruction, is itself something that requires competence.

This is fairly common with dual right turns in Virginia because VDOT is obsessive about prohibiting turns on red from any lane other than the far right lane (oddly, the same is not true about lefts on red in the rare cases where there are dual turn lanes in that situation). Because you risk being stuck at a red light if you use the second lane, the majority of drivers will use the far right turn lane even if it means cutting across–but then, most drivers here seem to think you can turn into whatever lane you want anyway.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SEWIGuy

Something that regularly makes me say "lousy driver" is people who incorrectly get into a turn lane, or an exit-only lane, or into a thru lane to the far side of the road from where they want to exit, and instead of just going ahead and making the turn (or taking the exit) and then making a U-turn to come back, or going on to the next exit and then turning around, they become determined that everyone else is somehow required to let them go the way they wanted to go, regardless of whether it means coming to a stop on the Interstate, going straight out of a turn-only lane that is obstructed on the far side by a curb, etc.  ...

With this, it comes down to why they ended up in the wrong lane. Of course, it's not always readily apparent, but I try not to get too put out by it unless it was obviously an aggressive maneuver to get ahead of someone (or cut across 3+ lanes to take an exit at the last second) rather than just an honest mistake (or even a change of plans after entering the turn lane).

Yeah, I do this fairly regularly. When driving home from work, I exit off the interstate where there are two lanes to turn left. Normally I choose the right hand lane because I have to make a right turn about 1/4 mile after the left turn.

But occasionally, if there is a big line in the right lane, will chose the left and hope I can make the lane change prior to the right turn.  And I usually can...but if I can't, I just go another 1/2 mile down the road and take the next right - slightly out of the way, but not seriously so.

Scott5114

Jake Bear once said on here that the ultimate mark of good driving is if surrounding traffic was able to proceed as if the car wasn't there at all (i.e. nobody had to speed up, slow down, change lanes, etc. due to that car).
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

vdeane

The one that takes the cake is when my parents and I encountered someone trying to make a left turn from the right turn lane here.  Somehow, even after at least three light cycles, they never figured out that the green ball only illuminates if there's someone in the left turn lane.  Dad had to get out of the car and explain it to him.  We then found him trying to make a left from one of the straight lanes at the next light.

I can think of a couple locations where I sometimes/regularly do that.  One I regularly do because the right left turn lane tends to attract slowpokes who can be passed (very common to do, actually).  The other I do rarely, but sometimes if the left left turn lane has a long line and it's use the right left turn lane or sit in the travel lane.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

webny99

Quote from: vdeane on July 12, 2022, 08:33:46 PM
The one that takes the cake is when my parents and I encountered someone trying to make a left turn from the right turn lane here.  Somehow, even after at least three light cycles, they never figured out that the green ball only illuminates if there's someone in the left turn lane.  Dad had to get out of the car and explain it to him.  We then found him trying to make a left from one of the straight lanes at the next light.

Wow, and I can see how they'd be sitting there for a while since there would have been green arrows for traffic turning right, but never a full green light. I've had similar situations with sensor-based lights where the person doesn't pull up far enough so the light never changes, but never because they're in the wrong lane. That's pretty hilarious!

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 12, 2022, 03:21:20 PM
This is fairly common with dual right turns in Virginia because VDOT is obsessive about prohibiting turns on red from any lane other than the far right lane (oddly, the same is not true about lefts on red in the rare cases where there are dual turn lanes in that situation). Because you risk being stuck at a red light if you use the second lane, the majority of drivers will use the far right turn lane even if it means cutting across–but then, most drivers here seem to think you can turn into whatever lane you want anyway.

Saw this before and forgot to come back to it...

That strikes me as an odd prohibition, especially if dashes are used through the intersection to guide drivers to the correct lane. But then again, dual right turn lanes in general strike me as odd since they're so rare around here. There's one one on NY 590 at NY 404 and a few in Henrietta (several of which are "no turn on red") and a new one on Lee Rd at NY 31/NY 390 but that's pretty much it unless I'm missing some on NY 104 in Greece.

RobbieL2415

Not in CT it isn't.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.