Dulles Toll Road/Dulles Airport Access Road

Started by mightyace, July 13, 2009, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar

For purposes of the Travel Mapping project, the free Dulles Airport Access Road isn't treated as a clinchable route separate from (mostly) toll VA 267, just like it doesn't treat the express lanes in the I-495 median as a different route from the free I-495 lanes. That includes the DAAR segment in the VA 267 median between (more or less) VA 28 and VA 123. Could it be argued that sbeaver44 can count as clinched VA 267 between VA 286 and I-495, by traveling the DAAR between those points?

I'm not convinced, but sbeaver44 can give it a try. It makes no difference to me, anyway, since I've clinched VA 267 by paying all the tolls on multiple trips between US 15 and I-66, as well as multiple free trips on the DAAR.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

froggie

I double-checked VDOT records, Kozel's website, and what Mike and I have on VHP.  Officially, 267 does not follow the Access Road...just the DTR and the access road extension east of 123 to 66.

This is different from the Beltway HO/T lanes, in that those lanes are still considered part of I-495.

sbeaver44

Well I guess I know what I'm doing next time I'm down that way.  Thanks everyone for detailing it!

Alps

I consider my DAAR clinch good for VA 267 because they are within the same right of way and all freeway, so always within sight of each other. Not like NJ 124 being NJ 24's frontage road and out of sight above.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: Alps on September 21, 2021, 11:08:52 PM
I consider my DAAR clinch good for VA 267 because they are within the same right of way and all freeway, so always within sight of each other. Not like NJ 124 being NJ 24's frontage road and out of sight above.

The Dulles Airport Access Road includes the freeway into the airport terminal area, plus the upper deck (Departures) level and the lower deck (Arrivals) level.  A proper clinch of the DAAR requires one trip around the upper deck, exit left to the the "Return to Airport" loop around the Terminal Parking Lot, then the second trip around the lower deck.  Don't try to do this during the airport rush.

1995hoo

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 22, 2021, 01:12:26 PM

The Dulles Airport Access Road includes the freeway into the airport terminal area, plus the upper deck (Departures) level and the lower deck (Arrivals) level.  A proper clinch of the DAAR requires one trip around the upper deck, exit left to the the "Return to Airport" loop around the Terminal Parking Lot, then the second trip around the lower deck.  Don't try to do this during the airport rush.

Also, be careful of simply driving out to the airport, doing a loop, and then immediately heading back onto the highway. That's a good way to get a ticket. Stop at the gas station on airport property and buy a can of soda or a newspaper. That constitutes "airport business."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 22, 2021, 01:33:40 PM
Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 22, 2021, 01:12:26 PM

Also, be careful of simply driving out to the airport, doing a loop, and then immediately heading back onto the highway. That's a good way to get a ticket. Stop at the gas station on airport property and buy a can of soda or a newspaper. That constitutes "airport business."

My go-to strategy if I need to get out to to the Westfield/Chantilly area in a hurry, particularly in the morning. Particularly now with the VA-28 construction.

cpzilliacus

They do have separate route numbers.  Dulles Toll Road (and Dulles Greenway, the private extension west to Leesburg) are VA-267.

Dulles Airport Access Road is "secret" VA-90004 (never seen it signed).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NJRoadfan

How do the cops determine who has/hasn't done "airport business"?

cpzilliacus

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 22, 2021, 08:42:14 PM

If you drive across the airport property without dropping someone off or picking someone up or stopping to do some business there (as in stopping at the c-store or the gas station) then you are breaking the law and can get a summons.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

davewiecking

Observation. It's a major International airport. It's crawling with LEOs.

AlexandriaVA

cpzilliacus

Quote from: davewiecking on September 23, 2021, 01:33:59 AM
Observation. It's a major International airport. It's crawling with LEOs.

MWAA, the agency that runs IAD (and DCA) has its own airport police force that also patrols the Dulles Airport Access Road and the Dulles Toll Road part of VA-267.

MWAA Police can (and do) issue Virginia summonses for the usual infractions - plus illegal use of airport property, including the DAAR.

jeffandnicole

What's the likelihood of someone being caught? I'm 1 for 1 in avoidance, btw!  :thumbsup:

Dirt Roads

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 25, 2021, 11:05:09 AM
What's the likelihood of someone being caught? I'm 1 for 1 in avoidance, btw!  :thumbsup:

It's been some time since I worked at Dulles Airport, but when our offices were not in the airport we often had several meetings or projects and sometimes had to go there several times a day.  Cars that enter and exit the frequently were watched carefully, as were vehicles that came in on the DAAR and never dropped off/picked up passengers or entered paid parking.  We were always on the target list, and were instructed to keep our "airport business" paperwork handy in the front seat to verify our status.  We had some employees that weren't working on MWAA projects who would try to piggyback on our airport project status and did get stopped.  Not sure if they ever got any tickets.

Our main office moved back "on campus" at the airport, which meant that all of us were cleared with parking passes.  After I moved to North Carolina, I had the additional issue of having out-of-state tags while working "on campus", inside the airport itself, and also at offices in National Airport and Tysons Corner.  It got dicey when I would need to go into the office for a few minutes, then back off campus.  Eventually, I got a high-level airport clearance and was treated like an airport employee afterwards (and also had to work closely with MWAA Police).

All that being said, I would think that the chances of getting caught using the DAAR improperly are pretty good.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Dirt Roads on September 25, 2021, 11:48:11 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 25, 2021, 11:05:09 AM

It's been some time since I worked at Dulles Airport, but when our offices were not in the airport we often had several meetings or projects and sometimes had to go there several times a day.  Cars that enter and exit the frequently were watched carefully, as were vehicles that came in on the DAAR and never dropped off/picked up passengers or entered paid parking.  We were always on the target list, and were instructed to keep our "airport business" paperwork handy in the front seat to verify our status.  We had some employees that weren't working on MWAA projects who would try to piggyback on our airport project status and did get stopped.  Not sure if they ever got any tickets.

Our main office moved back "on campus" at the airport, which meant that all of us were cleared with parking passes.  After I moved to North Carolina, I had the additional issue of having out-of-state tags while working "on campus", inside the airport itself, and also at offices in National Airport and Tysons Corner.  It got dicey when I would need to go into the office for a few minutes, then back off campus.  Eventually, I got a high-level airport clearance and was treated like an airport employee afterwards (and also had to work closely with MWAA Police).

All that being said, I would think that the chances of getting caught using the DAAR improperly are pretty good.

1. If you are cleared enough to have an airport badge, then I think you
will be left alone (I have had them for DCA, IAD and BWI - at the same
time - an idiot security guard at Dulles wanted to know why and I told
the guard because "I need them for my job").

2.  MWAA considers it part of the job of its police force to look for drivers
illegally using the Dulles Airport Access Road (especially "backtracking"
through the airport but also crossing the airport property from the
VA-606 back entrance to illegally enter the DAAR) and they have
gotten tougher about it since MWAA took over the Dulles Toll Road to
collect tolls to pay for the train line to Dulles, since using the DAAR is a
that. Signs at the entrances to the DAAR clearly state "Airport use only"
(or similar) and "other uses prohibited" at its entrances.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 25, 2021, 02:19:37 PM
1. If you are cleared enough to have an airport badge, then I think you will be left alone (I
have had them for DCA, IAD and BWI - at the same time - an idiot security guard at
Dulles wanted to know why and I told the guard because "I need them for my job").

Your airport badge might help if you get pulled over by MWAA police, but I doubt that simply having one would get your vehicle flagged as "airport business".  Having the hang tags for vehicle clearance inside the perimeter definitely is an outward sign of airport business.   However, I do recall that around 1999 or 2000, airport employees and contractors were warned that having a badge does not give one privileges to use the DAAR for non-airport business. 

Quote from: cpzilliacus on September 25, 2021, 02:19:37 PM
2.  MWAA considers it part of the job of its police force to look for drivers illegally using the Dulles
Airport Access Road (especially "backtracking" through the airport but also crossing the airport
property from the VA-606 back entrance to illegally enter the DAAR) and they have gotten
tougher about it since MWAA took over the Dulles Toll Road to collect tolls to pay for the train
line to Dulles, since using the DAAR is a form of toll evasion, though I do not think they cite
DAAR violators for that. Signs at the entrances to the DAAR clearly state "Airport use only"
(or similar) and "other uses prohibited" at its entrances.

When I lived out in Clarke County, the "back entrance" from Old Ox Road (SR-606) using Ariane Way was my primary way in and out of the airport after we relocated our offices back onto the "airport campus".  Back then, all of the inbound traffic was routed onto Materials Road and over by the rental car agencies along Autopilot Drive.  An MWAA police cruiser was always staged at that three-way stop and I'm sure they were checking plates for folks trying to exit the airport.  There were a few times that I went to the office, got some things off my desk, and a few minutes later headed over to National for a departing flight (non-MWAA business).  Each time, I got the strangest look from MWAA Police when I exited onto the Dulles Toll Road to get to National.

1995hoo

Dulles Toll Road tolls increase in January to $6.00 if you pay at both the main toll plaza plus a ramp toll. This is, of course, mainly because of the Silver Line. Cash payment will also be eliminated sometime next year.

I am outraged. That road is not perfectly straight as an arrow. How dare they!

skluth

Dulles Toll Road is going cashless next year. Rates are also going up. Linked story here. Bolded text is mine.

Dulles Toll Road Rates Going Up 75 Cents In 2023

Toll rates on the Dulles Toll Road between I-66 and roads near the Dulles International Airport will officially go up 75 cents in 2023.

The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority approved the increase unanimously at its Wednesday meeting.

The current maximum rate of $4.75 total for two-axle vehicles will increase to $6 total on January 1. The tolls are split between one charge at the main line plaza and another charge exiting at the ramps. Tolls are higher for larger trucks. A toll calculator is available online for shorter trips.

Drivers heading to or leaving Dulles International Airport do not pay a toll, but the toll road itself is a key commuting route through Loudoun and Fairfax County.

The fees are paying for more than half of the $5.8 billion Metro Silver Line project. The second phase of the project opened Tuesday. Tolls also go toward MWAA debt and operations, maintenance, and improvement of the toll road.

The board has planned the increases since 2019.

"This is not a surprise, as the board will recall this as part of the plan that we established,"  board member Kate Hanley said. "And it is something of a miracle... that even after the (economic) downturn, we did not have to alter that plan in order to do our part to pay for rail to Dulles."

Almost 100 people weighed in during the public comment period, with most saying the rate increase was unfair or had a negative impact on them. Others asked MWAA to find an alternative way to pay for the Silver Line project.

Toll rates are expected to go up every five years: $7.25 in 2028, $8.75 in 2033, and potentially as high as $11.25 in 2043.

The board also voted to authorize a $1.60 administrative fee for pay-by-plate transactions. Motorists who don't pay tolls electronically through an E-ZPass will be identified by their vehicle license plate and receive an invoice to their registered address. The toll road, like many in the region, is going fully cashless next year.

"Eliminating toll booths is expected to speed traffic flow and benefit the environment by reducing emissions that would have been produced by vehicles waiting in toll-booth lines,"  the Authority wrote in a statement.

74/171FAN

I guess both 1995hoo and myself forgot about this thread. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

skluth

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 17, 2022, 04:08:20 PM

I didn't think to look in the general Virginia thread before posting and only later saw you had posted this info there, so we're even.

74/171FAN

Quote from: skluth on November 17, 2022, 05:32:25 PM

I didn't think to look in the general Virginia thread before posting and only later saw you had posted this info there, so we're even.

Honestly it belongs here since this thread exists, but there is no reason for me to move it here now.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

plain

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 17, 2022, 06:09:51 PM
Quote from: skluth on November 17, 2022, 05:32:25 PM

Honestly it belongs here since this thread exists, but there is no reason for me to move it here now.

Works fine in the general thread as most of us are probably going to click on that one first anyway, giving more people a heads up.
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Looking at the time stamp on my post, I can confirm that I was half-awake and I was sitting on the toilet in my hotel room taking a dump, so I probably just plain forgot to search the forum.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.