News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

Yes, freeway/expressway/parkway entrace signs are going up around the state, though locations like this (which had "expressway entrance" signs installed after Google went through) are being prioritized.

Whether "freeway" or "expressway" is used seems to depend on Region.  Region 1 uses "freeway".  Region 2 used "expressway" initially, but now seems to use "freeway" per street view.  Region 4 uses "expressway".  I haven't observed the ones in other regions.

Quote from: ixnay on December 05, 2021, 07:55:55 AM
Speaking of signs on NYS roads, this 2-yo article may be of interest (I don't have time to read the whole thing now)...

https://thegate.boardingarea.com/why-this-highway-sign-in-new-york-was-controversial/

Have those signs been replaced?

Those signs actually have their own thread, though there hasn't been a post in that thread in the two years since the signs were modified under the terms of an agreement with FHWA to authorize them on an experimental basis.  The large signs were modified to change the "welcome to" font and replace the website and app with the region name and retained where they were in most locations.  The small signs were removed from the roads and relocated to welcome centers, rest areas, service areas, etc.  The Mohawk Valley and North Country regions are "control" regions; Mohawk Valley only has signs on the borders, and North Country has no signs at all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Dougtone

Quote from: vdeane on December 05, 2021, 04:01:54 PM
Yes, freeway/expressway/parkway entrace signs are going up around the state, though locations like this (which had "expressway entrance" signs installed after Google went through) are being prioritized.

Whether "freeway" or "expressway" is used seems to depend on Region.  Region 1 uses "freeway".  Region 2 used "expressway" initially, but now seems to use "freeway" per street view.  Region 4 uses "expressway".  I haven't observed the ones in other regions.
Region 5 is also using expressway from what I noticed over Thanksgiving weekend.

webny99

Darn, I don't mind the signs, but it would have been nice to see either "freeway" or "expressway" used consistently statewide. I'd prefer freeway personally, but value consistency over term.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on December 05, 2021, 09:47:39 PM
Darn, I don't mind the signs, but it would have been nice to see either "freeway" or "expressway" used consistently statewide. I'd prefer freeway personally, but value consistency over term.
I don't like the signs.  Trailblazers do well enough.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mariethefoxy

Region 10 has their own version that just says ENTRANCE atop the trailblazer. https://goo.gl/maps/p7JutWnpTgj7Cz3h9

kernals12

If we're going to mock regional dialects, I want to complain about "pop" and "tennis shoes".

crispy93

Quote from: Rothman on December 06, 2021, 07:05:48 AM
I don't like the signs.  Trailblazers do well enough.

They're totally unnecessary but I like them for the curiosity factor. At the I-84/US 9 interchange, only one entrance has that FREEWAY ENTRANCE sign. The other I-84 entrances are "exits" from US 9 and do not have the new signs. I'd want consistency with placement and terminology.
Not every speed limit in NY needs to be 30

storm2k

Eh, none of it is as egregious as this in my mind. It should not be called a freeway when there is a traffic signal about 3/4 of a mile from this spot.

SignBridge

I agree. A freeway is defined in the MUTCD as a divided highway with full control of access.

mariethefoxy

what makes it even more confusing is you have the Nassau Expressway which isnt limited access like the others. Then theres the strange "Rockaway Freeway" down here in Queens.

SignBridge

An expressway is defined in the Manual as a divided highway with partial control of access. (Sec. 1A-13, page 14) So Rockaway Freeway and Nassau Expressway are decidedly mis-named as both are really boulevards. LOL

Historical note: Nassau Expwy. was originally planned to be built as a controlled access highway, but was later changed to a boulevard I believe in response to community concerns. A real shame. Would have been good to have a freeway from the Atlantic Beach Bridge to the interchange of the Van Wyck Expwy. and the Belt Pkwy instead of having to use Rockaway Blvd/Tpke. 

lstone19

Quote from: SignBridge on December 07, 2021, 04:36:12 PM
An expressway is defined in the Manual as a divided highway with partial control of access. (Sec. 1A-13, page 14) So Rockaway Freeway and Nassau Expressway are decidedly mis-named as both are really boulevards. LOL

A good example of what seems to be proper naming is in Santa Clara County in the SF Bay Area where roads named Freeway have fully-controlled access and roads named Expressway are divided but have cross-streets controlled by traffic lights, ramp entrances and exits (both to major streets at grade separations as well as to side streets where the side street does not cross the expressway), and no private driveway access to businesses or residences.

seicer

Then there is West Virginia that claims freeways on roads like US 48/Corridor H and US 119/Corridor G which have intersections and interchanges.

Dougtone

The Irondequoit Bay Outlet Bridge (or IBOB for short) is a bobtail swing truss bridge and is located at the north end of Irondequoit Bay, just outside of Rochester, New York. Yes, I blogged about it and uncovered more than I could have imagined.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/12/irondequoit-bay-outlet-bridge-monroe.html

webny99

Quote from: Dougtone on December 07, 2021, 09:28:31 PM
The Irondequoit Bay Outlet Bridge (or IBOB for short) is a bobtail swing truss bridge and is located at the north end of Irondequoit Bay, just outside of Rochester, New York. Yes, I blogged about it and uncovered more than I could have imagined.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/12/irondequoit-bay-outlet-bridge-monroe.html

Thanks for sharing! That's definitely one of the more unique road features in the Rochester area. The bridge is still open to pedestrians and connects to the pier when it's not in use as a road, so it's the rare road segment outside my neighborhood that I've walked more times than I've driven!  :)

I would certainly like to see an improved bridge that would allow for year-round vehicle crossings, or even just improved connectivity between NY 104 and Sea Breeze Drive (former NY 590). When the bridge is closed, you can literally hear and talk to people on the other side of the channel, yet they're a full 15 minutes away by road. Obviously most of the long terms solutions are expensive, but a direct connection from the Bay Bridge to Sea Breeze Drive (instead of having to backtrack on the much slower Culver Road) is needed anyways and would save five minutes or more while preserving the outlet bridge.

D-Dey65

roadman65

In New Smyrna Beach, FL you have Dixie Freeway which is the US 1 arterial through the city.
In Hutchinson, KS you have the Ken Kennedy Freeway that is an expressway segment of K-61 bypassing Downtown.

Its not just New York.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

machias

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 11, 2021, 07:13:04 PM
Sign error on NY 22 in Patterson Township:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4930161,-73.5789152,3a,75y,243.89h,83.28t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sc-ZCmEI8M_Y-pacgsctxvg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Isn't there another thread for this?

I'm wondering if New York is the state that struggles the most with U.S. and state route marker mix up. There's a lot of erroneous shields throughout the Empire State.

vdeane

Time for a tour of I-390/NY 390 south.  Apologies for the photo quality - it was shortly after 8:00 AM on Black Friday when I went through there.

NY 390 south has arrow per lane signs approaching I-490.  Oddly enough, the last guide sign for exit 21 and the last guide sign for exit 20 on the mainline are on the same gantry.  Even exits 19 and 20 on I-81 don't do that.

On the new mainline itself, there are enhanced tenth mile markers.  The ramp from I-490 west was realigned to enter on the right of the new lanes and the Buffalo Road (NY 33) overpass was redone.

I-390 south was also widened to provide an auxiliary lane between exits 20 and 19.  The enhanced tenth mile markers continue through here.

The former roadway for NY 390/I-390 south is now used as a c/d road for exits 20 and 21.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: mariethefoxy on December 06, 2021, 10:48:31 PM
what makes it even more confusing is you have the Nassau Expressway which isnt limited access like the others. Then theres the strange "Rockaway Freeway" down here in Queens.
Nassau Expressway was supposed to be entirely a limited-access highway, but too many people forgot about this and they let developers build structures that got in the way of potential upgrades.

Dougtone

Taking a hike along an old highway alignment of what was NY 10 south of Tupper Lake, New York. The route is now part of NY 30, and goes around the other side of the mountain. Part of the old road was turned into part of a hiking trail that goes up Goodman Mountain, named in memory of slain civil rights activist Andrew Goodman, who spent summers in the Tupper Lake area while growing up.

https://www.gribblenation.org/2021/12/old-ny-10-and-goodman-mountain-in.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.