News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Painted Shields in travel lanes

Started by Mergingtraffic, April 27, 2010, 09:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadfro

Quote from: US71 on May 03, 2010, 10:14:44 AM
I've seen Texas use these types of signs for other things

I've seen mention of this application elsewhere. I think it was nicknamed "horizontal signing". There's no mention of this type of use in the national MUTCD and I haven't seen anything about an approved experimentation. But I've gotta believe that FHWA wouldn't have problems with this kind of pavement marking given the MUTCD's new provisions for pavement shields and TxDOT's use of MUTCD approved symbol signs on the pavement.

I believe there's been studies that show horizontal signing, in addition to standard signs, aids in driver recognition of whatever situation is applied for the sign. This makes sense, as the pavement marking sign is an element that should be in the driver's standard field of vision without looking to the side of the road for a similar sign.  One has to wonder what the cost of such a marking is though...if it's more expensive to use a 'shield ahead' pavement sign as opposed to simply using the text message "SIGNAL AHEAD", I can't see horizontal signing catching on too quickly.

Also interesting to note in that picture: the left lane appears to have "US 59" (or some other US route number) written in text downstream of the warning signs, instead of using a shield.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

joseph1723

I haven't seen a lot of painted shields or anything else painted on the ground aside from arrows and lines in Ontario, The only place I've seen anything close to a shield painted on the travel lanes was a "407 ETR ONLY" message painted on one of the approach intersections to 407 ETR.

Pic from Streetview:

Link to Streetview

US71

Quote from: roadfro on May 03, 2010, 03:13:11 PM

Also interesting to note in that picture: the left lane appears to have "US 59" (or some other US route number) written in text downstream of the warning signs, instead of using a shield.

Indeed, it's 59. There are also a couple overhead signs for 59. IIRC, there is also an overhead "Signal Ahead"
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

tdindy88

I realize it's been three months since there was a last post on this topic, but I just found this article today in the Indianapolis Star. Indy is now testing the use of these markers at the I-465/I-70 interchange. I haven't passed this area for a while but it looks interesting for the area. If the test is successful more of these could be placed throughout the area.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100810/LOCAL/100810018/Indy-tests-road-markers-at-I-465-I-70-split

wandering drive

Nevada 828: (would have had a better picture, but I only noticed it in the post-mortem)

Nevada Painted Sign on the Road by wandering drive, on Flickr

hbelkins

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 10, 2010, 04:45:29 PM
I realize it's been three months since there was a last post on this topic, but I just found this article today in the Indianapolis Star. Indy is now testing the use of these markers at the I-465/I-70 interchange. I haven't passed this area for a while but it looks interesting for the area. If the test is successful more of these could be placed throughout the area.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100810/LOCAL/100810018/Indy-tests-road-markers-at-I-465-I-70-split

Irony alert: the last name of the reporter is Shields.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kj3400

There used to be one on I-695 NB before exit 19 with I-795 in Baltimore, but when they repaved the road they never repainted it.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

codyg1985

Mississippi has one in Hattiesburg at the I-59/US49 interchange.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

rickmastfan67

They just recently added PA-910 and I-79 shields to the pavement on the Exit #73 NB offramp on I-79 in the past 3 months.  Amazingly, Google just recently updated their "Sat" view here in the Pittsburgh area and you can see them here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=40.615052,-80.094105&spn=0.000745,0.001742&t=k&z=20

The stupid part of this is the "WEST PA-910" shield.  PA-910 ENDS at this interchange UNLESS they are planning on extending it.....

Mr_Northside

I guess just saying "West 910" helps point out that you don't HAVE to get back on to I-79 if you're in that lane.

I'm sure they have no actual plans on extending it... but I think they might just as well extend it to PA-65. (Though some of the roadway involved might be county... I haven't been out that way (west of 79) in a couple of years.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Alps

Wouldn't take much to extend the highway to Ambridge.  You don't usually see painted shields on ramps though - overhead signs are more easily read and less easily stopped on by traffic.

rickmastfan67

Well, IMO, if anything, they should have painted the "Orange Belt" logo instead of the "WEST PA-910".

PAHighways

The belts are not mentioned on their guide signs, so it's not surprising it wouldn't be painted on PennDOT's ramp.

iwishiwascanadian

I just noticed the painted shields at the I-87/I-287 split in Westchester County and they help a lot, especially with all of the local exits in between the split and the Tappan Zee Bridge. 

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PAHighways on October 16, 2010, 03:20:18 PM
The belts are not mentioned on their guide signs, so it's not surprising it wouldn't be painted on PennDOT's ramp.

True.  But if I had been in charge of it, that's what I would have done. :)

Mr_Northside

And the colored belt system is also a "county thing" as well...
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Mr_Northside on October 18, 2010, 04:57:47 PM
And the colored belt system is also a "county thing" as well...

I still would have painted it instead. :sombrero:

Al Cyone

Many E-ZPass lanes in NY have purple "shields" (not sure if that term is technically correct) and purple lane stripes. They're very helpful but, of course, there are still drivers who wait until the last minute to realize they're in the wrong lane. I fear it shall be ever so.

wh15395

INDOT just put one on I-465 south for the interchange with I-70, but that's the only one I've seen in Indiana.

jwolfer

Before all the 10/95 and bridge construction just south of Downtown Jacksonville aroudn 1990, there were painted shields for I-95, US-90 and I think US-1... and yes 90 was blue and 1 was red.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.