News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Control cities you would use for your area

Started by golden eagle, May 07, 2010, 01:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdb1234

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 10, 2011, 01:52:31 PM
Quote from: golden eagle on February 10, 2011, 11:15:14 AM
Quote from: codyg1985 on February 10, 2011, 10:20:18 AM
Quote from: mightyace on February 10, 2011, 03:36:36 AM
I-65 uses Louisville north of Nashville and Huntsville south.  As many of you know, it used to be Birmingham southbound.  In 840 style, I'd use Huntsville and Bowling Green for the local and Birmingham and Louisville for the long distance.

The mileage signs on I-65 southbound still show Birmingham. I suppose that's because you can't get to Huntsville by staying on I-65, and it would be out of the way to use I-565.

Really? I remember Nashville used to be the control city on I-65 in Birmingham, but was switched to Huntsville around the late 90s-early 2000s. Maybe TennDOT felt no need to change it. I'm not opposed to Huntsville being the control city, but perhaps they could use both Huntsville and Nashville as control cities in B'ham.

On I-65 in TN, the control city is Huntsville going south, but for some reason the mileage signs were not changed to reflect that. I-65 in Alabama going north is Huntsville as well, but in Morgan County the control city off exit ramps and on mileage signs is for Nashville.

I did find one sign in Gardendale on Friday that still uses Nashville as a control city for I-65

ftballfan

In Michigan
US-23 NB: Ann Arbor, Flint
US-23 SB: Ann Arbor, Toledo (OH)

US-31 NB: Benton Harbor, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon, Manistee (US-31 has never entered Ludington)
US-31 SB: Muskegon, Grand Haven, Holland, Benton Harbor, South Bend (IN)

US-127 NB: Lansing, Mount Pleasant, Gaylord
US-127 SB: Mount Pleasant, Lansing, Jackson, Adrian

US-131 NB: Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Cadillac, Petoskey
US-131 SB: Cadillac, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Three Rivers

I-69 NB/EB: Lansing, Flint, Port Huron
I-69 WB/SB: Flint, Lansing, Fort Wayne (IN)

I-75 NB: Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Gaylord, Sault Ste. Marie
I-75 SB: Gaylord, Saginaw, Flint, Detroit, Toledo (OH)

I-94 EB: Benton Harbor, Kalamazoo, Jackson, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Port Huron
I-94 WB: Detroit, Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor, Chicago (IL)

I-96 EB: Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit
I-96 WB: Lansing, Grand Rapids, Muskegon

I-275 NB: Metro Airport, Lansing/Flint
I-275 SB: Metro Airport, Toledo (OH)

roadman65

In my area Orlando a lot of changes can be made here.

FL 528 EB- (Cocoa, International Airport) Cocoa should be changed to Beaches!  International Airport is fine.
FL 528 WB- (Orlando, International Airport, TO I-4) No change.
FL 417 NB (International Airport, Orlando, Sanford) Drop Orlando from International Drive and Landstar Boulevard as they take you miles out of the way!
FL 417 SB (Orlando, Tampa, TO I-4) No change.
I-4 E & W (No Control points in Orlando for all ramps)  Need Tampa for WB ramps and Daytona Beach for EB Ramps.
I-95 NB in Brevard County (Daytona Beach, Jacksonville) Drop Jacksonville to be consistent with all signage south of there.  Further south Daytona Bch is used.
FL 414 WB from US 441 (Apopka) Should be changed to FL 429 until FL 414 is completed, then Mount Dora as US 441 north from there leads into Apopka and
     destination is totally useless.  It takes motorists back into Apopka from FL 429 the other way on US 441 if FL 414's second Apopka exit is used.
FL 414 from I-4 (Maitland Blvd.) Street name should be dropped and Apopka- Maitland should be used instead.  Further East on I-4 Apopka should be dropped in
     lieu of Forest City or Casselberry.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ftballfan

Quote from: ftballfan on March 13, 2011, 06:15:46 PM
In Michigan
US-23 NB: Ann Arbor, Flint
US-23 SB: Ann Arbor, Toledo (OH)

US-31 NB: Benton Harbor, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon, Manistee (US-31 has never entered Ludington)
US-31 SB: Muskegon, Grand Haven, Holland, Benton Harbor, South Bend (IN)

US-127 NB: Lansing, Mount Pleasant, Gaylord
US-127 SB: Mount Pleasant, Lansing, Jackson, Adrian

US-131 NB: Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Cadillac, Petoskey
US-131 SB: Cadillac, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Three Rivers

I-69 NB/EB: Lansing, Flint, Port Huron
I-69 WB/SB: Flint, Lansing, Fort Wayne (IN)

I-75 NB: Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Gaylord, Sault Ste. Marie

I-94 EB: Benton Harbor, Kalamazoo, Jackson, Ann Arbor, Detroit, Port Huron
I-94 WB: Detroit, Ann Arbor, Jackson, Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor, Chicago (IL)

I-96 EB: Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit
I-96 WB: Lansing, Grand Rapids, Muskegon

I-275 NB: Metro Airport, Lansing/Flint
I-275 SB: Metro Airport, Toledo (OH)

Some more from MI:

I-196 NB/EB: Holland, Grand Rapids, Lansing
I-196 WB/SB: Grand Rapids, Holland, Benton Harbor

I-696 EB: Pontiac/Detroit, Port Huron
I-696 WB: Pontiac, Lansing/Metro Airport

US-10 EB: Clare, Midland, Bay City
US-10 WB: Midland, Clare, Ludington/Cadillac

M-6 EB: Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, Lansing
M-6 WB: Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, Holland

M-14 EB: Ann Arbor/Flint, Flint/Detroit, Detroit
M-14 WB: Ann Arbor, Jackson

Interstate Trav

Quote from: agentsteel53 on February 14, 2011, 12:20:13 AM
Quote from: FreewayDan on February 13, 2011, 10:30:17 AM
The control city "Santa Ana" used on I-5 (and also for SB Route 57 and EB I-10 at the I-110 interchange) should be "Orange County".  Route 91 westbound would be "Orange County" too instead of "Beach Cities". In fact, it should be the control city for SB I-405 from Long Beach to  I-605.

Once in Orange County, these freeways can then be Los Angeles for NB I-5/WB Route 91 and  San Diego for SB I-5/SB I-405.

nobody cares about Orange County.  people take I-5 because they want to get between San Diego and Los Angeles.

91 seems to serve only local traffic, who generally have little need for control cities.

To me the most annoying thing is when your traveling on the 5 north from San Diego, and Los Angeles is the control city, then once in Orange County it changes to Santa Ana.  I mean it would be one thing to say Santa Ana/Los Angeles. 

InterstateNG

US-31 entered Ludington between 1931-37.  Ludington is a very reasonable control city:  an intersection with a major route, location of a crossing for Lake Michigan and the end of the US-31 freeway.

QuoteI-75 NB: Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Gaylord, Sault Ste. Marie

Why Gaylord?

QuoteM-6 EB: Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, Lansing

Who would use M-6 to access Grand Rapids?
I demand an apology.

ftballfan

Quote from: InterstateNG on March 23, 2011, 08:38:42 AM

US-31 entered Ludington between 1931-37.  Ludington is a very reasonable control city:  an intersection with a major route, location of a crossing for Lake Michigan and the end of the US-31 freeway.

QuoteI-75 NB: Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, Gaylord, Sault Ste. Marie

Why Gaylord?

QuoteM-6 EB: Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, Lansing

Who would use M-6 to access Grand Rapids?

Manistee is a little self-promotion (I'm from there :)). Also, even though 31 north of Ludington is not freeway, Ludington is never mentioned on guide signs (they're usually signed as Manistee/Muskegon or just Muskegon south of Manistee).

Gaylord: It's the largest community right along I-75 north of Bay City.

Some of GR's southern suburbs are better served from M-6 than I-96 or I-196 (parts of Wyoming, most of Kentwood, some of Grandville). Kalamazoo would be cosigned with either Lansing or Holland (depending on the direction) until the US-131 exit.

pianocello

In Lansing, MI, signs on US-127 northbound should mention Mt. Pleasant instead of Clare
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.