News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways that are isolated from the state they are located in

Started by huskeroadgeek, November 13, 2010, 01:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

Not sure if there is a shorter name for this phenomenon-but these are highways that run through a portion of a state that is completely isolated from the rest of the state-i.e. you must go through an adjoining state to reach the rest of the state by road. The longest example of this would probably be I-15 in Arizona. Another would be I-684 which goes through a small portion of Connecticut. US 212 does this twice-in the northeast corner of Wyoming and again in Montana just NE of Yellowstone NP. Another one I know of is IA 165 in Carter Lake, IA-which is part of the road between downtown Omaha and Eppley Airfield. Other examples?

agentsteel53

there are some loops of the Alaska Highway that alternate between British Columbia and Yukon that share this property.

also, the town of Hyder, Alaska, can be reached only from Stewart, BC.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

corco

US-191 also does it north of West Yellowstone, Montana- it enters Wyoming for a few miles. Montana maintains the road though.

national highway 1

WYO 70 dips southward into CO to pass through the town of Slater and it is maintained by WyDOT.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Ian

ME 113 enters New Hampshire twice and both are maintained by NHDOT. NHDOT even signs ME 113 with Maine's square. There is even a spur off of it, NH 113B, in Chatham.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Quillz

I know it doesn't strictly count, but CA-266 can only be accessed via CA-168. And the route itself is really just a connector between two Nevada State Routes.

Bickendan

Quote from: agentsteel53 on November 13, 2010, 01:04:12 AM
there are some loops of the Alaska Highway that alternate between British Columbia and Yukon that share this property.

also, the town of Hyder, Alaska, can be reached only from Stewart, BC.
AK 7 may be the big fish for this.

Also, one I'm not 100% certain about, but it seems that NT 5 dips into Alberta a couple times, with its final portion in Fort Smith just a couple feet south of the 60° line (which would be in Alberta).

jemacedo9

State Rt 896 crosses into Maryland for a very short piece between PA 896 and DE 896...I don't remember if there is a side road intersection in Maryland.  Also, the I-84 bridge over the Delaware River bet PA and NY I believe barely touches NJ.

vdeane

Also I-95 and I-495 briefly pass through DC on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Quillz

Isn't I-24 in Georgia for less than half a mile and uses Tennessee's mile markers?

Grzrd

Quote from: Quillz on November 14, 2010, 01:51:24 PM
Isn't I-24 in Georgia for less than half a mile and uses Tennessee's mile markers?
I-24 is in Georgia for 4.1 miles & has an interchange with I-59 in Georgia.

signalman

Quote from: Grzrd on November 14, 2010, 02:07:47 PM
There's also an exit that connects to US 11 in Georgia, but they both keep Tennesse's exit numbering.

mightyace

That exit serves GA 299 (Exit 169).  It's a good exit to stop at if you're just going to Chattanooga as gas prices are generally cheaper in GA than in TN.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

hbelkins

Quote from: jemacedo9 on November 14, 2010, 10:45:59 AM
Also, the I-84 bridge over the Delaware River bet PA and NY I believe barely touches NJ.

No. The state tripoint marker is in the shadow of the bridge, but is definitely south of it. Oscar Voss took a picture of me sitting on the marker and i was looking toward the bridge.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Quillz

Point Roberts, WA, can only be accessed (via land) through Canada. This includes the unnumbered roads that are located there.

Dr Frankenstein

QC-199 is only accessible by boat... from Prince Edward's Island.
(Well, there seems to be a Montreal ferry too on Google Maps, but I never heard anyone talk about it and I can't imagine the price...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Route_199

elsmere241

Quote from: jemacedo9 on November 14, 2010, 10:45:59 AM
State Rt 896 crosses into Maryland for a very short piece between PA 896 and DE 896...I don't remember if there is a side road intersection in Maryland.

There is, it's called Little Egypt Road.

Also, just over the line in Pennsylvania, there's a turnoff called Elbow Lane that stays very close to the Pennsylvania/Maryland line.

Coelacanth

Quote from: Quillz on November 15, 2010, 12:23:14 AM
Point Roberts, WA, can only be accessed (via land) through Canada. This includes the unnumbered roads that are located there.
The same is true of the Northwest Angle in Minnesota, but there are no highways located there.

english si

N54, Ireland - the road here keeps on changing between N54 (in the Republic) and A3 (in Northern Ireland). While other sections of N54 and A3 in the borer wiggle have routes that link them back to the main road network of the country, this one doesn't.
here's something similar in England, where you have to drive through Wales to get there. A bit different, given the road numbers are the same.

Alps

Quote from: Coelacanth on November 15, 2010, 11:30:51 AM
Quote from: Quillz on November 15, 2010, 12:23:14 AM
The same is true of the Northwest Angle in Minnesota, but there are no highways located there.
There are numbered county highways there.  I plan to clinch a couple.

Grzrd

Quote from: signalman on November 14, 2010, 07:14:03 PM
There's also an exit that connects to US 11 in Georgia, but they both keep Tennesse's exit numbering.
I drove through there about a year ago and think I made a mental note that the section uses Georgia mileage markers but the exit numbers follow what would have been Tennessee mileage.  Don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

topay

Quote from: Grzrd on November 16, 2010, 07:54:46 AM
Quote from: signalman on November 14, 2010, 07:14:03 PM
I drove through there about a year ago and think I made a mental note that the section uses Georgia mileage markers but the exit numbers follow what would have been Tennessee mileage.  Don't know if my mind is playing tricks on me.  Can anyone confirm or deny?

You got it right.  Georgia mile markers, would-be Tennessee exit numbers. 

Grzrd

Quote from: topay on November 16, 2010, 08:47:08 AM
You got it right.  Georgia mile markers, would-be Tennessee exit numbers.  
I know I'm straying waaaaay off topic, but does this situation exist anywhere else on interstate system, i.e. mile markers reflect "home" state mileage, but exit numbers correspond to neighboring state's "would-be" mileage?

dfilpus

Quote from: Grzrd on November 16, 2010, 09:05:27 AM
Quote from: topay on November 16, 2010, 08:47:08 AM
You got it right.  Georgia mile markers, would-be Tennessee exit numbers. 
I know I'm straying waaaaay off topic, but does this situation exist anywhere else on interstate system, i.e. mile markers reflect "home" state mileage, but exit numbers correspond to neighboring state's "would-be" mileage?
I 275 around Cincinnati uses exit numbers numbered based on mileage from the I 71/75 interchange, but each state uses its own mile markers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.