Roads that are widened, but no lanes added.

Started by SteveG1988, November 24, 2010, 11:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

On NJ Freeways, you are legally required to drive on the right hand lane of a four lane road, and only use the left lane to pass. Nobody follows the laws, and it is never enforced
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

J N Winkler

Everything from shoulder stripe to shoulder stripe which is open for ordinary vehicular travel is called the "traveled way" and the shoulder is not part of it.  I think it is probably an UVC provision, which most states follow, that the shoulder may be used only for stopping in emergencies.  Therefore using the shoulder to pass a vehicle which has stopped or slowed down to turn left is illegal unless provided for in state law.  KRETP is a separate requirement typically applying to certain classes of multilane highway.  I am not sure whether it is in the UVC, and in most states that do have KRETP requirements, it is generally treated as a recommendation for good driving practice rather than something that is enforced.  There are many practical difficulties in determining whether KRETP has been violated though, predictably enough, there are nuts on rec.autos.driving who believe that violators should be drawn and quartered.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.