News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

One-off sign

Started by Alps, November 24, 2010, 10:21:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Browsing this week's offerings, I came across this curve sign.  Any ideas what's going on here?

Quillz

My guess is it probably just represents the main road has two sharp curves.

Or it could mean that the road physically ends at another, then begins anew just to the right, similar to how numbered highways are sometimes briefly concurrent with another.

Ian

Quote from: Quillz on November 24, 2010, 10:44:54 PM
My guess is it probably just represents the main road has two sharp curves.

Or it could mean that the road physically ends at another, then begins anew just to the right, similar to how numbered highways are sometimes briefly concurrent with another.

I don't think that's what Steve is talking about. Notice how the interior of the arrow is silver.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

SteveG1988

It means lightning crossing. Just Kidding.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Scott5114

Well, it's a two-sharp-turn arrow on a diamond sign (too lazy to look up the MUTCD number) that has just been photographed at a weird angle. As for the white, I'm guessing it was an early experimental application of reflective sheeting (Silver Scotchlite?), probably before they had yellow reflective sheeting.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dr Frankenstein

Indeed, that looks like a W1-3R.

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 25, 2010, 09:49:24 PM
As for the white, I'm guessing it was an early experimental application of reflective sheeting (Silver Scotchlite?), probably before they had yellow reflective sheeting.
That's not a bad idea.  That's what I was after with this post, thanks.

ctsignguy

I have to go along with Scott's thought.  I have seen yellow and some early red STOP signs with the silver scotchlite applied as either a band in the middle of the sign, or inside the letters as with the arrow.
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Alps

Well I did in fact receive the sign today.  Inside the black arrow outline are a few silver reflective panels stuck to the sign.  Clearly a very early attempt at reflectivity beyond the cats' eyes/button copy/what have you.  Certainly a step up from my old curve sign.

agentsteel53

interesting!  I believe it is the same style as this sign:

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US71

Quote from: ctsignguy on November 26, 2010, 08:20:39 AM
I have to go along with Scott's thought.  I have seen yellow and some early red STOP signs with the silver scotchlite applied as either a band in the middle of the sign, or inside the letters as with the arrow.

My aunt lived in Blue Island, IL and I remember yellow stop signs with the silver band.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.