Children's Books on roads and signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, November 28, 2010, 01:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mergingtraffic

I had a chance to go to my son's library at school and saw a lot of old road children's books.  Books on topics such as building of highways, road signs, expressways and trucks.

For the road geek in me, these books are awesome.  Old pics of highways and road signs! These books were written in the 60s and 70s. 

When I was a kid, I remember reading a book on road signs, it was was all pics of signs from New York state back in the late 70s and early 80s.  Signs that if were still there we would all be trying to photograph.  A non-symbol sign that read "HILL" or "MERGING TRAFFIC".  Of course, I forgot what the book title was. 

I know it's a stretch..any titles of good children's books dealing with highways or road signs?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Andrew T.

Quote from: doofy103 on November 28, 2010, 01:41:02 PM
When I was a kid, I remember reading a book on road signs, it was was all pics of signs from New York state back in the late 70s and early 80s.  Signs that if were still there we would all be trying to photograph.  A non-symbol sign that read "HILL" or "MERGING TRAFFIC".  Of course, I forgot what the book title was.  

Would this be I Read Signs, by any chance?  That book, more than any other, is responsible for warping my mind into what it is today.  :)
Think Metric!

hm insulators

When I was little, I had a book titled Let's Go to Build a Highway.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Scott5114

My mom just got me a copy of the Oklahoma driver's manual when I was eight. The edition that was out then still had two columns labeled OLD and NEW for all the signs, showing the text and graphical versions of each sign.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Related: As a toddler, I had two pairs of red and yellow sneakers with road signs on them.  I'm sure that didn't hurt my interest.  I also had a set of wooden road signs for my cars to make "roads" with them.  And a play mat full of roads and signs to roll them on.  Wish I still had the mat, but at least I still have the wooden signs.  And the hundreds of model cars.

thenetwork

I had someone give me about an 8-page pamphlet in the early 70's about the changeover from text-based signs to symbols.  That got me hooked into signs.  I don't remember the name of the pamphlet, but on the back cover it had a diagrammatical sign of I-90/I-94 West (Wis Dells) at an intersection in Madison, WI.

Dr Frankenstein

Related: As a child, I had a MTQ poster with most (if not all) of the standard signs on it in my bedroom.

usends

When my kids were little, I found a book at the library called "Grandaddy's Highway", by Harriett Diller.  It's a childrens book about US 30, and IIRC, it's set in Pennsylvania:

"...Everybody else thought the strip of black outside was just a road. We knew better...
...I could see it - stretching all the way to the Pacific Ocean..."
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

njroadhorse

Quote from: Andrew T. on November 28, 2010, 01:48:49 PM
Quote from: doofy103 on November 28, 2010, 01:41:02 PM
When I was a kid, I remember reading a book on road signs, it was was all pics of signs from New York state back in the late 70s and early 80s.  Signs that if were still there we would all be trying to photograph.  A non-symbol sign that read "HILL" or "MERGING TRAFFIC".  Of course, I forgot what the book title was. 

Would this be I Read Signs, by any chance?  That book, more than any other, is responsible for warping my mind into what it is today.  :)
Ahh! Someone else who read that book as a child.  I absolutely loved that and there was also I Read Signals IIRC.
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.