News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Vandalism of BGSs

Started by golden eagle, December 12, 2010, 11:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawmustard

Quote from: golden eagle on December 19, 2010, 01:24:52 PM
Out of curiosity, are BGS's heavy objects. I can't imagine them being too heavy but I did see one being hauled on the back of a truck not too long ago.

Seeing the gantries they use to support them, BGSes are not something I'd want to land on my (or anyone else's) car.

J N Winkler

It depends on the construction.  For an adult, the problems handling a laminated-panel large guide sign would come more from the size than from the weight--I'd expect to be able to lift three sides of it above the ground but not to lift it up altogether and carry it.  I would expect an extruded panel sign to be much heavier, with extrusheet signs falling somewhere in between.

Years ago, on I-70 in western Kansas, I found an extrusheet sign which had been abandoned half folded over on the ground, near its extruded panel replacement.  It had been left in that position long enough to kill the grass underneath.  I was able to lift it about a foot, and also to rip off a letter of demountable copy (the "o" in "Gove"), since that line of legend was in the fold and the rivets were already under strain from supporting the weight of the aluminum sign substrate and the stiffeners behind it.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

myosh_tino

Quote from: golden eagle on December 19, 2010, 01:24:52 PM
Out of curiosity, are BGS's heavy objects. I can't imagine them being too heavy but I did see one being hauled on the back of a truck not too long ago.
Not sure if the actual signs are heavy but the sign bridges/gantries can be (case in point, the crushed car on the right side of the photo)....
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

BigMattFromTexas

Here's something I made on Paint. Just to make some people mad, maybe.. It's a lot easier for me to clean this up, doesn't cost anything..

BigMatt

nyratk1

Can't wait for roadgeek vandalism where they replace Clearview with Highway Gothic.

Brandon

Quote from: nyratk1 on December 19, 2010, 08:45:34 PM
Can't wait for roadgeek vandalism where they replace Clearview with Highway Gothic.

That's not vandalism, that's just an improvement.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

Quote from: myosh_tino on December 19, 2010, 05:02:40 PM

I remember that gantry well.  It was on the 8 freeway and dated back to when the road was built.

goodness, people, if you're going to be an idiot and knock off a sign just because you can't keep the trunk lid down... take away a modern retroreflective one, not a classic from 1968!
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Laura Bianca on December 19, 2010, 02:45:14 PMThe only criticism that I have is the hasty, haphazard way he wrote "Live for the moment" that makes it seem like it is running off the sign...

I would not be able to parse that at freeway speed.

I think he should have put an extra tab, black on retroreflective white, with standard FHWA fonts - at least 12" high for maximum legibility.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.