News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Freeway or Expressway?

Started by Henry, January 25, 2011, 02:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael in Philly

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 17, 2011, 12:14:05 PM
a better question would be "Highway" or "Route".  Being born in Wisconsin, i use Hwy up there but living in Chicagoland, i use Rte here.  For example.  IL 83 and WI 83 is the same road near Antioch IL.  I always refer to it as Route 83 regardless of the state.  But, US 45 also runs in the area and i always refer to that as Highway 45.
as to the original question, unless talking about a specific name, ie the Stevenson Expy., i use freeway more than expressway because there are tollways here. 

!!  See, I'm not the only person who thought freeway meant toll-free.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Dr Frankenstein

I roughly assumed so but did not strongly believe that.

Bickendan

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 17, 2011, 12:14:05 PM
a better question would be "Highway" or "Route".  Being born in Wisconsin, i use Hwy up there but living in Chicagoland, i use Rte here.  For example.  IL 83 and WI 83 is the same road near Antioch IL.  I always refer to it as Route 83 regardless of the state.  But, US 45 also runs in the area and i always refer to that as Highway 45.
as to the original question, unless talking about a specific name, ie the Stevenson Expy., i use freeway more than expressway because there are tollways here. 
Here in Oregon, there is a definite difference between 'Highway' and 'Route' per definition. The external, signed system are 'Routes', and the internal system that ODOT uses are 'Highways'.

To add to the confusion, the signed routes often are called highways because of their names (OR 18 - Salmon River Highway; OR 47 - Tualatin Valley Highway and Nehalem Highway; OR 8 - Gales Creek Rd, Tualatin Valley Highway and SW Canyon Rd), and the interstates themselves are referred to as highways outside of the urban areas, not freeways (I-5 Pacific Highway, I-84 Columbia River Highway; Old Oregon Trail [Highway]), while from Salem to Portland, I-5 is the Baldock Freeway, the Eastbank Freeway and the Minnesota Freeway (with a personal preference to calling it N Minnesota Ave, for the surface street it largely replaced); I-84 the Banfield Freeway (Expressway occasionally creeping in); I-205 the East Portland Freeway or War Veterans Memorial Highway; I-405 the Stadium Freeway.
The freeway portion of US 26 is simply the Sunset Highway, which is just a continuation of the non-freeway portion to the west. OR 217 is the Beaverton-Tigard Freeway. I-105 (and OR 126) in Eugene-Springfield is the Eugene-Springfield Freeway, while OR 569 (virtually all freeway for its length) is Beltline Road.

TLDR version: In Oregon, Freeways or Expressways? Highways. Highways or Routes (system descriptors)? Routes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.