News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Delaware

Started by Alex, February 11, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

I have found it more common for the work zone speed limits to outlast the actual work zone on the Turnpike.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MASTERNC

Noticed on my E-ZPass statement that Delaware does distance based tolling on Route 1, which I did not know existed (and DelDOT does not seem to advertise).  Within the tolled sections of Route 1 between Smyrna and Dover, there are E-ZPass readers over ramps where tolls are not normally collected.  I had to stop for gas while going southbound and got off at North Smyrna (US 13), re-entering south of town.  My E-ZPass statement showed the $1 at the Dover toll plaza but then a $0.25 credit from the South Smyrna ramp.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 09, 2018, 09:32:45 AM
Noticed on my E-ZPass statement that Delaware does distance based tolling on Route 1, which I did not know existed (and DelDOT does not seem to advertise).  Within the tolled sections of Route 1 between Smyrna and Dover, there are E-ZPass readers over ramps where tolls are not normally collected.  I had to stop for gas while going southbound and got off at North Smyrna (US 13), re-entering south of town.  My E-ZPass statement showed the $1 at the Dover toll plaza but then a $0.25 credit from the South Smyrna ramp.

I read someplace (here?) that the Maine Turnpike does distance-based tolls for E-ZPass patrons too.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ipeters61

Quote from: MASTERNC on July 09, 2018, 09:32:45 AM
Yup.  I've noticed that too.  I remember when I first moved to DE, I thought I'd be charged a toll getting on DE-1 North at Exit 142 (DE-896/south of the canal), but never saw it show up on my E-ZPass statement.

And I have Pennsylvania E-ZPass (my family lives in PA), not Delaware.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

vdeane

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 09, 2018, 12:34:03 PM
I read someplace (here?) that the Maine Turnpike does distance-based tolls for E-ZPass patrons too.
They do, but I believe only for Maine E-ZPass holders.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on July 09, 2018, 08:46:42 PM
They do, but I believe only for Maine E-ZPass holders.

More Transponder Discrimination.™
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ixnay

https://delawarestatenews.net/news/eyes-on-safety-deldot-set-to-install-median-cable-barriers-on-del-1/

Quote"[R]roadway departure crashes are one of our strategic safety emphasis areas, and over the past several years, DelDOT has been installing a high-tension cable barrier system along (Del.) 1 in all identified high-risk areas – around curves, smaller width medians, high traffic volumes and high crash areas.

"Beyond installing additional median barriers along our freeways, other programs being implemented related to roadway departure crashes include high friction surface treatments, rumble strips, safety edge and updated horizontal curve warning signs."

ixnay

BrianP

Maryland did the median barrier part when they added a barrier on I-70 between Frederick and Baltimore.  They added mostly steel barrier.  But in some places they did use cable barriers like here  There's a couple of stretches of I-95 in Delaware from the MD line to the rest stop that should get some kind of median barrier since that seems to fit this safety need.  The adjacent stretches of I-95 have a median barrier. 

ixnay

Three blocks of DE 8 east of U.S. 13 will soon be closed for road and utility work.

https://delawarestatenews.net/news/east-division-street-roadwork-to-cause-detours/

ixnay

ixnay

Get ready for a possible detour on U.S. 113 in Millsboro next spring due to bridge replacement...

http://coastalpoint.com/content/bridge-project-dramatically-shift-traffic-millsboro-next-spring_07_12_2018-0

ixnay

ixnay

U.S. 13 will have a lane each way added through Camden early next decade...

http://www.wboc.com/story/38834330/deldot-plans-to-expand-us-13-in-camden

ixnay

ixnay

This appears to have been the last summer for stoplights in Little Heaven.

http://www.wboc.com/story/39016126/little-heaven-intersection-will-change-kent-county-traffic-on-route-1

QuoteLITTLE HEAVEN, Del. --- Next summer, beach travelers in Delaware will soon be able to pass through Little Heaven without backups from traffic at the intersection with Bowers Beach Road.

DelDOT plans to finish construction on the new grade-separated interchange at Bowers Beach road later this year, which will allow drivers who are passing through Little Heaven to remain on Route 1 by traveling over the existing intersection.

Drivers who are traveling to Bowers Beach or Little Heaven will be able to get off Route 1 and travel underneath Route 1 to access those communities.

Currently, an intersection on Route 1 at Bowers Beach Road uses a street light to allow cars to get across Route 1. The current configuration occasionally backs up traffic on Route 1, especially during beach weekends when vehicles traveling at high rates of speed are forced to come to a stop at the intersection.

Meanwhile, a rural intesection near Milton is earmarked for further safety improvements.

http://www.wboc.com/story/39023148/deldot-plans-further-intersection-improvements-at-cave-neck-road-intersection

QuoteMILTON, Del.- After converting part of the Cave Neck Road / Sweetbriar Road / Hudson Road intersection into a one way, the Delaware Department of Transportation says they are planning long term improvements to the area.

"Does the roadway need to be realigned? Would a roundabout possibly work there?" says DelDOT Director of Community Relations C.R. McLeod. "[We are] just looking at all the solutions and we will be partnering with the community to determine what the best long term solution is."

ixnay

Alex4897

DelDOT just released their FY20 - FY25 Capital Transportation Program and it contains a couple interesting projects.  The Executive Summary document details new projects added to their roster.  Of note:

• Resurrected SR 141 Tyler McConnell Bridge project
  • SR 896 widening from US 40 to I-95
  • US 113 widening in Millsboro
  • US 40 / SR 7 intersection improvements currently slated to cost $58 million (I thought an interchange was ruled out here...?  This is some crazy money.)
The rest of the projects consist mainly of run-of-the-mill intersection improvement projects throughout the state.
👉😎👉

Alps

Tonytone

Hello everyone, Time has passed and if anyone has noticed, DE 141 Interchange @I-95, and I-295 construction projects are coming to a end. 141 is basically finished only with asphalt and other safety features to be added, it's slated to be done by the end of this month. I haven't drove down Middletown in a while but I assume 301 is finishing up as well.
DE 71/72 projects have started with a Wawa being built on 72/71 intersection across from the highly priced BP in Bear, De. De 273 has started construction in the New Castle area by airport road with changes including a 3rd lane, bike lanes and other mandatory safety features required. I seen on Deldot news that soil borrings are scheduled for I-95 and De-1 SB in Bear does that mean construction will be underway in these areas a little quicker because of the extra money the state received? We will see.  :hmmm: Also the Riverfront bridge is finished while the connecting roads will have to be finished the bridge looks good, and a new 76'rs sponsored arena is being built across the intersection of the  new bridge!

https://www.deldot.gov/About/news/
Promoting Cities since 1998!

Tonytone

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 09, 2018, 02:56:42 PM

Reader slams DelDOT over constant road construction

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/opinion/readers/2018/10/02/reader-has-suggestions-fix-deldot/1498714002/
I've lived in 3 states and I heard this in each one.  No state is special in this regard....
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 09, 2018, 03:03:19 PM

https://www.delawareonline.com/story/opinion/readers/2018/10/02/reader-has-suggestions-fix-deldot/1498714002/
I've lived in 3 states and I heard this in each one.  No state is special in this regard....

Not supposed to be special, it's just a post. to anyone who wanted to see the stupidity

ipeters61

Quote from: Tonytone on October 09, 2018, 03:04:53 PM

Not supposed to be special, it's just a post. to anyone who wanted to see the stupidity
Yeah I figured.  It just gets old hearing the same thing over and over again, even on other issues like, "Oh the weather is unpredictable, that's Delaware for you!" (I heard this all the time in PA and CT, it's not just DE), etc.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Tonytone

Quote from: ipeters61 on October 09, 2018, 03:12:06 PM

Yeah I figured.  It just gets old hearing the same thing over and over again, even on other issues like, "Oh the weather is unpredictable, that's Delaware for you!" (I heard this all the time in PA and CT, it's not just DE), etc.

And thats the problem, why would people complain about things they do use or do not use.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Tonytone on October 09, 2018, 03:15:22 PM
Quote from: ipeters61 on October 09, 2018, 03:12:06 PM

And thats the problem, why would people complain about things they do use or do not use.

QuoteAnd, finally, a question: How does the Delaware Memorial Bridge end up going from four lanes – which is a rare occurrence to have all four lanes open – to 12 toll lanes feeding into two lanes? Well done!

Well, for starters, it doesn't.  But the writer is using emotion and not fact. 

ixnay

How close *is* the U.S. 301 toll road to opening?

ixnay

Alex4897

Quote from: ixnay on October 09, 2018, 09:13:47 PM

ixnay

New Years Day according to EZPass's website. The opening date had been originally pegged for December 2018 but given all the rain we've gotten this year the slight push back doesn't surprise me.
👉😎👉

ixnay

Quote from: Alex4897 on October 09, 2018, 11:01:49 PM
Quote from: ixnay on October 09, 2018, 09:13:47 PM

ixnay

New Years Day according to EZPass's website. The opening date had been originally pegged for December 2018 but given all the rain we've gotten this year the slight push back doesn't surprise me.

Click "301 Electronic Tolling", then click "When will the new road be open?".

Thanks.

ixnay

Roadsguy

Interestingly the construction plans for the US 301 toll road show the first two interchanges as having toll plazas, even though the newest Google imagery as well as DelDOT's aerial videos show what appear to be the foundations for the E-ZPass gantries being built.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.