AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
 on: Today at 04:23:01 PM 
Started by Lyon Wonder - Last post by sparker

Still like the idea for 110 north with the supplemental left-side reference to the I-5 north exit in 2 miles rather than including the I-5 shield on the main 110 pull-through.  However, the US 101 ramp signage as pictured above also has quite a bit of merit, as SB US 101 actually terminates at and merges with I-5 toward Santa Ana -- and the main ramp sign suggests that.  Placing I-10 & CA 60 on a supplemental sign is more than adequate for this particular location -- as I've iterated previously, 110 crossed I-10 only a couple of miles south of this location, and traffic originating south of downtown L.A. would have turned onto I-10 at that point; mentioning CA 60 on any signage in or near the downtown "slots" on 101 or 110 is simply icing on the cake.  I've always thought that CA 60 deserved at least trailblazer mention at the NB I-110 approach to the I-10/110 interchange (apparently Caltrans has disagreed with me for some 50+ years now -- at least prior to 2012, the last time I was through there). 

on: Today at 04:13:28 PM 
Started by 74/171FAN - Last post by Beltway
It's interesting that given this latest setback -- although even if passed, there would be a few decades of thumb-twiddling before any projects were let, has prompted -- according to the article cited -- an attempt to concentrate on strictly the segment from the NC state line to the US 58 Martinsville bypass -- which apparently could be rationalized and "written up" as more of a safety than capacity project, effectively separating it from the longer full I-73 proposal.  At least that would lend some credence to the NC project string north of Greensboro -- a trunk Interstate ending at a significant town and/or feeder route rather than a random "project end" point offers some measure of public value rather than a simple exercise in relative political will. 

That is 4 miles, and at $30 million per mile that would be $120 million.  For a road where a 4-lane divided highway already exists.  Doesn't seem to be a viable use of scarce highway construction funds.

on: Today at 04:10:02 PM 
Started by froggie - Last post by webfil
See https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=2353.msg2255007#msg2255007

on: Today at 04:09:54 PM 
Started by empirestate - Last post by roadguy2
Challenge: ——> Pictures of Bridges! Over water, or long viaducts. NO OVERPASSES PLEASE!! The bridges must be of fairly substantial length.

Here's another view of the Chain of Rocks Bridge, from eastbound I-270 (the New Chain of Rocks Bridge).

I don't know if it has a name, but this is the I-70 bridge over the Missouri River west of Columbia, MO:

on: Today at 04:05:50 PM 
Started by bing101 - Last post by kkt
Two things on that.  I think that college dorm and meal facilities exist to protect students from the slumlords that would develop in their absence.  At least in my state, it is a break even proposition. 

Yes, in most colleges the tuition does not subsidize the dorms (if anything, the dorms subsidize the rest of the college).  The benefit of dorms is providing a place for students to get to know other students, and have a gentler introduction to living independently of their parents than just renting an apartment.

The other part i will say is to repeat what I said above.  You learn more during non-class hours than in class.  If you treat college as just the 13th-16th grades, just commuting in from home and taking no part in the life of the college, you do not get that. 

I strongly agree.

on: Today at 04:05:34 PM 
Started by Interstate 69 Fan - Last post by mvak36
It didn't take long for somebody to put I-169 shields on Google maps.  :no:

on: Today at 04:01:13 PM 
Started by jcn - Last post by ET21
Plenty in northeast Illinois, I-55 comes to mind for me. There's a smattering on other roadways, mainly IDOT controlled, but the Tollway recently put some up at IL-59 and I-88 at a DDI

on: Today at 03:59:00 PM 
Started by GenExpwy - Last post by kkt
Confusion with Switzerland? What about Austria and Australia, or Mauritius and Mauritania?

Yes.  A friend of mine used to send letters and packages to her dad in Vienna, and finally starting addressing them with EUROPE written at the end of the address, because otherwise they all went the (very) long way.

Sounds like the name of an internet store from the 90s.

:-D

on: Today at 03:53:18 PM 
Started by austrini - Last post by txstateends
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/collin-county/2018/04/24/rural-collin-county-residents-finally-get-look-txdots-possible-routes-us-380-bypass

A proposed US 380 bypass around McKinney has found some opposition, especially among those along the possible routings.  The 3 versions all diverge in the Princeton area east of McKinney, and go around McKinney to the north, then return to the current US 380 alignment east of Prosper.

on: Today at 03:51:20 PM 
Started by 02 Park Ave - Last post by kkt
I'm not about to go thru the pages to test this theory, but I wonder if most of the people here upset and/or wanting DST changed live further north where they're more affected by it.

My own theory is that people who live south of about 35 degrees north don't feel much benefit from DST because their day length doesn't change as much, so they object more strongly to changing their clocks.
People north of 35 also dislike changing their clocks, but they feel the benefit of changing more.

(And people in non-panhandle Alaska have such extreme variation that nothing is going help them get sunrise around the right time of day, so they might as well not bother with the time change if it weren't for a consistent time difference to other places in the world.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.