AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
 on: Today at 07:08:43 AM 
Started by 1995hoo - Last post by Beltway
Without resorting to vehicle tracking or other "micromanagement" of driving habits, one of the potential solutions for out-of-state driving would be to simply take a yearly odometer reading

Still a fairly crude measure of mileage to only have one reading per year.  Then the question arises as how to track partial year such as selling one car and buying another.  Also the fact that the 12-month  inspection cycle doesn't go from January to December, it starts the month the car is licensed.

on: Today at 06:47:45 AM 
Started by mightyace - Last post by ixnay
Yes, there is: The PTC refers to the time limit as the “Max Time Formula”, and being in possession of a toll ticket whose age exceeds the Max Time Formula is considered to be a violation of Pennsylvania Code 601.13  - Evasion of fare:

I've seen many references to it, but I've never seen the actual formula. Does anyone know what it might be?

That's my question, too.

ixnay

on: Today at 06:29:57 AM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by qguy
Nothing can make me lose interest in roadgeeking. I was into it long before I was old enough to drive.

It has been 50[-ish] years now.  I don't see anything that would decrease the interest. [Edit by qguy.]

This is me.

on: Today at 06:22:16 AM 
Started by Stephane Dumas - Last post by formulanone
This could be the lowest rated Super Bowl in viewership ever.

Doubtful, because there's lots of people who want to see the Patriots win, and lot more who probably want to see them lose. Even a "low rated"  Superbowl is still winds up one of the top 2-3 TV events in the US every year. Sure, there's millions of folks and sports fans who tune in every year regardless of who plays...it would have been fun to watch a Chiefs - Saints matchup, but it would likely have had even less viewers, as they represent smaller media markets. I'm not suggesting a "fix", but I think that having a plausible underdog and a bit of a villain always makes for good TV.

The Super Bowl held in 2002, which also featured the same two teams, didn't rank up there with ratings; yet it was a good game right up to the last seconds. Apparently, the team from New England went on to pretty good things in the future.

After that, how much sympathy should I have for a bunch of brands that feel the urge to toss away $5-10 million on advertisements?

on: Today at 05:11:04 AM 
Started by 2trailertrucker - Last post by Plutonic Panda
Frustrating to see many states doing this. Rest stations are great for people to pull over and relax. I don’t like gas stations or truck stops for this. I wonder if there are any studies linking more rest areas to less accidents due to drowsy or sleeping drivers?

on: Today at 05:09:03 AM 
Started by mukade - Last post by Plutonic Panda
Sorry I know this has been answered before but this is the final project to bridge the gap between Indianapolis?

on: Today at 04:28:11 AM 
Started by hbelkins - Last post by DandyDan
I could turn into my dad and get really interested in trains, old rail stations and abandoned rail lines, plus other aspects of the railroad business I can't think about at the moment.

I am equally interested in roads and rail, for different reasons. I come from a railroad family with roots in the 1800's rail systems of the south. And I grew up watching the interstate highway system being built. Both my dad and I were/are civil engineers who have worked for both railroads and state highway agencies, and I now work in the private sector where I work on projects for both modes. I am probably one of the few people who worked on construction of a legacy interstate highway (I-55) and a commuter rail extension (what is now Metra Electric to University Park) before the age of 21.
I don't mind tracking down abandoned rail lines, some of which obviously are rail trails, but the books he had which relate to the technical aspects of him doing his job does not appeal to me.

on: Today at 04:10:38 AM 
Started by 1 - Last post by DandyDan
At my old auto parts warehouse job in Omaha, they dealt with store in Maryville, MO and Marysville, KS, which obviously got screwed up a lot because the Maryville store ended up with a different tag color than every other store we dealt with.

Going back further to the courier job I had before that, Oakland, IA and Oakland, NE would be confused.

on: Today at 03:43:23 AM 
Started by i-215 - Last post by DJ Particle
MASSACHUSETTS:

Until recently, BGS's had exit tabs that were framed as part of the larger sign.  There was no frame break between the exit tab and the rest of the sign.

on: Today at 02:53:45 AM 
Started by 1995hoo - Last post by sparker
^^^^^^^^^
Without resorting to vehicle tracking or other "micromanagement" of driving habits, one of the potential solutions for out-of-state driving would be to simply take a yearly odometer reading and subtract a "standard deduction" of something like 10 or 12.5% which would be placed in a co-operative pool.  50% of that pool would be divided up among the states adjoining the fee collector (or, in the case of the Northeast, any state within 150 miles of the state line), with the remainder distributed equally to the more far-field states.  It likely wouldn't cover outliers like the VA/ID situation posed upthread, but it would apply to a large percentage of the driving public.  This would obviate the expense -- and the privacy concerns -- endemic to vehicle tracking.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.