AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

on: Today at 09:43:49 AM 
Started by Tom89t - Last post by paulthemapguy
Sideways signals done the right way!
The indications of a horizontal 5-section head in Wisconsin or Illinois, in order of appearance:

From a red light...

IL-CWL-01-1 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

The leading left turn arrow appears...

IL-CWL-01-2 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

The yellow arrow appears to signal the end of the left turning phase...

IL-CWL-01-3 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

And the light turns green, in this case slightly before the oncoming traffic gets their green light.

IL-CWL-01-4 by Paul Drives, on Flickr

This is when there's a leading left turn (99.5% of intersections in Illinois do this), and the sections are ordered in the correct sequence from left to right.  If the green ball is still in the center, you're doing it wrong.

on: Today at 09:34:37 AM 
Started by flaroads - Last post by RoadPelican
Gainesville and Ocala absolutely need interstate spurs.  Gainesville's population has grown by 30% since 2000, Ocala is close to The Villages which has been on the Top 5 list of fastest growing areas in the USA for the last decade.  If you add the populations of these 3 cities you get over half a million people with no signs of slowing down.  Gainesville and The Villages are both usually on the best places to list year after year.

on: Today at 09:34:09 AM 
Started by yand - Last post by ipeters61
You share my hatred for left turns as well!  I have a really nasty one right outside of my apartment, but it's the only direct way out of town.

Welcome to the forum!

on: Today at 09:09:18 AM 
Started by Interstate 69 Fan - Last post by SSOWorld
https://www.weather.gov/dmx/20180719_Tornadoes

Two EF3s and an EF2

on: Today at 09:09:02 AM 
Started by empirestate - Last post by US71
Since it's been a week since anyone has posted, let's see if I can get this moving again

July 21, 2018: Old signs, New signs

From 2006, an OK 112 "meatcleaver" with an OK 9A "bullet" shield

I-40 at Conway, Arkansas circa 2008

on: Today at 09:02:55 AM 
Started by US71 - Last post by abefroman329
Chili ain't chili without beans!

Or hunks of meat. Cincinnati-style chili sucks.

I never thought Iíd miss any of the food in DC, but I really miss Hard Times Cafe.

on: Today at 09:02:54 AM 
Started by index - Last post by SSOWorld
That freeways are free as in no cost to the user.

And that tollways are double taxation.

But remember, nobody, but NOBODY in Wisconsin nor Illinois will ever refer to an Illinois Tollway as a 'freeway'.  It's a 'tollway'.

;-)

Mike
That tollways are not freeways.

TECHNICAL TERMS: Tollway is part of the name of the road.  freeway is the type of road and the term has nothing to do with how much extra $$ you put into the coin bucket/transponder account.  They are free as in free of interference from crossing traffic (maniac weavers non-withstanding).   that being saidMike's statement is correct that locals of Chicagoland and state and ISTHA officials do refer to the system as tollway to distinguish it by name.  Same is held true for other agencies (Houston (Harris County), Dallas (North Texas))

It's just a name, kids!

on: Today at 08:58:36 AM 
Started by roadman65 - Last post by abefroman329
Iíve never seen a couch in a therapistís office. Most notably, Dr. Melfi in The Sopranos did not have one.

Iíve also noticed that film and television donít do a great job of explaining the distinction between a psychologist and a psychiatrist.

on: Today at 08:54:37 AM 
Started by 1 - Last post by SectorZ
How is such legal?  If they make improvements knowing that they'll get taken, they deserve no damages at all.  In fact, THEY should be paying damages to the STATE for even thinking to try such a thing!

So they aren't allowed to make improvements to their own property, while waiting on the state to maybe do construction there?

on: Today at 08:51:33 AM 
Started by flaroads - Last post by ARMOURERERIC
I know it's a long way off, but I look forward to when they widen NC18 to 4 lanes from Morganton to Shelby, the widening from Morganton to Lenoir is making its way up the list.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.