News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rhode Island mileage based exit numbers?

Started by vdeane, April 27, 2014, 05:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Beeper1 on December 04, 2018, 08:17:04 PM
Wow.  Kind of a small group this round. 

I hope this means RI-78 will be getting new signage overall, since it is a mix of super-worn-out 1970s signage and typical piss-poor RI LGSs. 
I must admit to much sadness seeing all of the old and weird signage getting replaced over the years. The diagrammatics that used to grace 95 and 195, the mile/sequential exit tabs on 295, the LGSs on 78, random button copy, all heading to the forever home.

jp the roadgeek

My list has it right with the exception of the RI 2 exit on RI 4 (I had it as 6, while it's actually 5).  Also surprised the west end of 403 ramps to RI 4 are not numbered 1A (4 South) and 1B (4 North TO I-95)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bob7374

Quote from: Alps on December 05, 2018, 12:28:12 AM

I hope this means RI-78 will be getting new signage overall, since it is a mix of super-worn-out 1970s signage and typical piss-poor RI LGSs. 
I must admit to much sadness seeing all of the old and weird signage getting replaced over the years. The diagrammatics that used to grace 95 and 195, the mile/sequential exit tabs on 295, the LGSs on 78, random button copy, all heading to the forever home.
According to this press release by RIDOT about the next round of exit numbering, it "also will upgrade faded and deteriorated guide signage along these routes, as needed." It also say they are giving numbers to the Airport Connector:
https://www.ri.gov/press/view/34782

shadyjay

Good thing, 'cause those on RI 78 were old.. 20 years ago!

AMLNet49

So I know RI 146 is "separate"  from the Renunbering Project because it's having a sign replacement project done, but have the expected new exit numbers for 146 been published by RIDOT?

bob7374

Quote from: AMLNet49 on December 07, 2018, 11:56:54 AM
So I know RI 146 is "separate"  from the Renunbering Project because it's having a sign replacement project done, but have the expected new exit numbers for 146 been published by RIDOT?
Not that I am aware of. There's also been no listing on RIDOT's Travel Advisories site about any impact related to sign replacement on RI 146, so it doesn't appear work has started yet even though the contract was let more than a year ago. Unfortunately, RIDOT does not have a project listing page like MassDOT indicating what contracts are under construction.

AMLNet49

Quote from: bob7374 on December 07, 2018, 12:02:58 PM
Not that I am aware of. There's also been no listing on RIDOT's Travel Advisories site about any impact related to sign replacement on RI 146, so it doesn't appear work has started yet even though the contract was let more than a year ago. Unfortunately, RIDOT does not have a project listing page like MassDOT indicating what contracts are under construction.

RI 146 is weird too, because it has southbound mileposts that for some reason start at the Mass. line, and I'm guessing they want exit numbers that are the same both ways. But in that case, unless they also fix the southbound mileposts, the numbers won't match.

Wikipedia has proposed (Im assuming by wiki users) numbers based on the northbound mileposts:

1A — RI 246 (SB)

1B (SB) / 1 (NB) — Branch Ave

2 — RI 15

4A — RI 246 (SB)

4B (SB) / 4 (NB) — Twin River Rd

5 — RI 123

6 — Sherman Ave (NB) RI 246 (SB)

7A — RI 246 (SB)

7B (SB) / 7 (NB) — RI 116

8A — I-295 North

8B — I-295 South

8C — RI 99 North (NB)

*Non-Limited Access Section Begins*

9A or 9 — Resevoir Road (SB)

9B or unnumbered — Sayles Hill Road (At-Grade Traffic Light)

*Non-Limited Access Section Ends*

10 — RI 146A (NB) Sayles Hill Road (SB)

12 — RI 104

13 — Pound Hill Road

14 — RI 146A to RI 5

*Massachusetts Line*

bob7374

This week's (Dec. 8-14) RIDOT Travel Advisories does have a listing indicating work will be starting on the exit renumbering project:
"North Kingstown/East Greenwich/Westerly: Partial lane and shoulder closures in a moving operation for sign work at the following locations, Mon.-Fri. from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Rte. 4 North and South, from Oak Hill Rd. to I-95; Rte. 403 East and West, from Rte. 4 to Roger Williams Way; and Rte. 78 East and West, from the Conn. line to Rte. 1 (Post Rd.)"

AMLNet49

Quote from: bob7374 on December 07, 2018, 05:28:59 PM
So I know RI 146 is “separate” from the Renunbering Project because it’s having a sign replacement project done, but have the expected new exit numbers for 146 been published by RIDOT?
This week's (Dec. 8-14) RIDOT Travel Advisories does have a listing indicating work will be starting on the exit renumbering project:
"North Kingstown/East Greenwich/Westerly: Partial lane and shoulder closures in a moving operation for sign work at the following locations, Mon.-Fri. from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.: Rte. 4 North and South, from Oak Hill Rd. to I-95; Rte. 403 East and West, from Rte. 4 to Roger Williams Way; and Rte. 78 East and West, from the Conn. line to Rte. 1 (Post Rd.)"

Yes but not for the Route 146 Sign Replacement.

But either way, we know the progress is 0% or close to it.

I’m just wondering when they are going to publish the new numbers, they don’t even need to start the project to do that, because several proposed numbers on that Wiki list seem dubious to me at best

NE2

Removed from Wikipoo. Maybe they'll stay removed.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

bob7374

RIDOT's exit renumbering project started on Dec. 10 along RI 4 and RI 78, along with placing exit numbers on RI 403. I had a chance to drive along RI 4 and RI 403 late last week to document the work that had been completed, mostly putting up the new gore signs. Work to put up new signage had only reached the stage of putting up new support posts. Until all the signage is done, the new gore signs remain hidden behind the old, such as with the RI 2 exit here southbound:

I have placed all the photos in my Exit Renumbering section of my Misc. Photos page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html

I plan to return when the project is completed to take more photos.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bob7374 on December 21, 2018, 03:48:42 PM
RIDOT's exit renumbering project started on Dec. 10 along RI 4 and RI 72

78?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13,44,50
MA 22,40,107,109,117,119,126,141,159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; UK A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; FR95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New: MA 14, 123

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on December 21, 2018, 03:48:42 PM
RIDOT's exit renumbering project started on Dec. 10 along RI 4 and RI 72, along with placing exit numbers on RI 403. I had a chance to drive along RI 4 and RI 403 late last week to document the work that had been completed, mostly putting up the new gore signs. Work to put up new signage had only reached the stage of putting up new support posts. Until all the signage is done, the new gore signs remain hidden behind the old, such as with the RI 2 exit here southbound:

I have placed all the photos in my Exit Renumbering section of my Misc. Photos page:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html

I plan to return when the project is completed to take more photos.

So it took an exit renumbering project for RIDOT to finally realize they need to put up a decent exit sign on Route 4 at South County Road.  That abomination about to be replaced has been there for probably 15 years.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

southshore720

Quote from: roadman on December 21, 2018, 08:10:40 PM
So it took an exit renumbering project for RIDOT to finally realize they need to put up a decent exit sign on Route 4 at South County Road.  That abomination about to be replaced has been there for probably 15 years.
Enjoy all of the new BGS' in RI while you can.  I strongly recommend taking photos for posterity's sake.  All it will take is a stiff wind, plow, or a drunk driver to knock out the new sign (as RI loves the ground-mount like CT) and we will have the return of the LGS specials.  RIDOT is not a fan of in-kind replacement!

southshore720

I was up in the North Smithfield stretch of RI 146 on Christmas and noticed the little orange Liddell construction squares for BGS mounts at the exit ramps for RI 104, Pound Hill Rd., and RI 146A/5/102.  Very slight progress.  There are two bridge projects currently in the Pound Hill Rd. area that may interfere with the project.  No progress noted elsewhere.

Ben114

Quote from: shadyjay on December 05, 2018, 05:00:07 PM
Good thing, 'cause those on RI 78 were old.. 20 years ago!
If they are going off the age of the signs, 146 should be in next year's batch since some of those signs can barely be read.

bob7374

Quote from: southshore720 on December 27, 2018, 08:47:33 PM
I was up in the North Smithfield stretch of RI 146 on Christmas and noticed the little orange Liddell construction squares for BGS mounts at the exit ramps for RI 104, Pound Hill Rd., and RI 146A/5/102.  Very slight progress.  There are two bridge projects currently in the Pound Hill Rd. area that may interfere with the project.  No progress noted elsewhere.
The RIDOT traffic advisory page for this week has the first reference I've seen regarding the RI 146 sign replacement project: "Smithfield/Lincoln: Rte. 146 North and South, from Rte 146A to the Mass. line, right lane and shoulder closures for sign work, Mon.-Fri. form 9 a.m. to 2 p.m." Don't know how the weather will affect the work.

There has been no reference on the same page for exit renumbering elsewhere since mid-December, implying that work is complete, though the exit renumbering project website has not been updated.

AMLNet49

Quote from: bob7374 on January 21, 2019, 05:11:14 PM
The RIDOT traffic advisory page for this week has the first reference I've seen regarding the RI 146 sign replacement project: "Smithfield/Lincoln: Rte. 146 North and South, from Rte 146A to the Mass. line, right lane and shoulder closures for sign work, Mon.-Fri. form 9 a.m. to 2 p.m." Don't know how the weather will affect the work.

There has been no reference on the same page for exit renumbering elsewhere since mid-December, implying that work is complete, though the exit renumbering project website has not been updated.

It would be interesting to install the numbers without announcing them first. The media would hate that, and would seek out people to interview who missed their exit due to the new signage. Unless they just aren't doing numbers for 146 anymore, but that ruins the justification for RI 99's exit number. And for the record I support exit numbers for both roads, although I probably would have signed the intersection at the end of 99 as Exit 2.

roadman65

The new 2019 edition of Rand McNally has I-295 with its new mile based numbers.  I have the edition and checked it to make sure it was not coincidence that maybe the exits each are within a mile or about of one another, but it seems like the numbers do fit well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jon daly

I was on 78 recently. The old numbers were 3,4 and 5. We're there plans to start  numbering exits at the never built stretch from I-95 to CT 2?

moto e5 play

AMLNet49

Quote from: bob7374 on January 21, 2019, 05:11:14 PM

What did the sign work turn out to be?

shadyjay

Caught the new signs/exit numbers on the Westerly Bypass (RI 78) today....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157678314004878

There's finally a sign for old Exit 3/new Exit 1 in the EB/SB direction.  Previously, there was just a gore exit arrow.  That's it.  But wow, what an improvement - the old signs needed to be replaced the last time I was on the bypass, some 15+ years ago. 

I didn't drive today down to US 1, instead I got off at RI 91.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: shadyjay on February 02, 2019, 04:53:37 PM
Caught the new signs/exit numbers on the Westerly Bypass (RI 78) today....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157678314004878

There's finally a sign for old Exit 3/new Exit 1 in the EB/SB direction.  Previously, there was just a gore exit arrow.  That's it.  But wow, what an improvement - the old signs needed to be replaced the last time I was on the bypass, some 15+ years ago. 

I didn't drive today down to US 1, instead I got off at RI 91.

Was the old yellow "Expressway Ends" BYS still there on RI-78 heading towards CT? 

I think these were original to the construction of RI-78:

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

shadyjay

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on February 03, 2019, 04:50:18 PM
Was the old yellow "Expressway Ends" BYS still there on RI-78 heading towards CT? 

I think these were original to the construction of RI-78:

Yes, the [now more white than yellow] Expressway Ends sign is still there, partially obscurred due to construction work on a bridge just before the border. 

And I believe the signs that the new ones replaced were the originals.  I'm guessing the exit numbers would've been a continuation, had CT 78 been built to I-95:
Exit 1          the ramp to I-95 South
Exit 2          CT 2
Exit 3          High Street
Exit 4          RI 3
Exit 5          RI 91

jon daly

Thanks, sj. I thought it would be odd that exit #s would span 2 states, but it is a short highway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.