News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rhode Island mileage based exit numbers?

Started by vdeane, April 27, 2014, 05:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southshore720

Quote from: shadyjay on February 02, 2019, 04:53:37 PM
Caught the new signs/exit numbers on the Westerly Bypass (RI 78) today....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shadyjay/albums/72157678314004878

There's finally a sign for old Exit 3/new Exit 1 in the EB/SB direction.  Previously, there was just a gore exit arrow.  That's it.  But wow, what an improvement - the old signs needed to be replaced the last time I was on the bypass, some 15+ years ago. 

I didn't drive today down to US 1, instead I got off at RI 91.

Great pictures Jay!  I don't get to travel RI 78 much, so I'm thankful you took these photos.

bob7374

Quote from: AMLNet49 on January 30, 2019, 05:26:04 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 21, 2019, 05:11:14 PM
Quote from: southshore720 on December 27, 2018, 08:47:33 PM
I was up in the North Smithfield stretch of RI 146 on Christmas and noticed the little orange Liddell construction squares for BGS mounts at the exit ramps for RI 104, Pound Hill Rd., and RI 146A/5/102.  Very slight progress.  There are two bridge projects currently in the Pound Hill Rd. area that may interfere with the project.  No progress noted elsewhere.
The RIDOT traffic advisory page for this week has the first reference I've seen regarding the RI 146 sign replacement project: "Smithfield/Lincoln: Rte. 146 North and South, from Rte 146A to the Mass. line, right lane and shoulder closures for sign work, Mon.-Fri. form 9 a.m. to 2 p.m." Don't know how the weather will affect the work.

There has been no reference on the same page for exit renumbering elsewhere since mid-December, implying that work is complete, though the exit renumbering project website has not been updated.

What did the sign work turn out to be?
Don't know, but RIDOT has continued the traffic advisory for subsequent weeks, including this one. I assumed they are going to be putting in new sign supports and foundations, since this would be hard for them to do during the winter, it must be something else. Perhaps just putting up more orange placement tags for the future sign locations.

bob7374

Quote from: bob7374 on February 14, 2019, 10:34:37 PM
Quote from: AMLNet49 on January 30, 2019, 05:26:04 PM
Quote from: bob7374 on January 21, 2019, 05:11:14 PM
Quote from: southshore720 on December 27, 2018, 08:47:33 PM
I was up in the North Smithfield stretch of RI 146 on Christmas and noticed the little orange Liddell construction squares for BGS mounts at the exit ramps for RI 104, Pound Hill Rd., and RI 146A/5/102.  Very slight progress.  There are two bridge projects currently in the Pound Hill Rd. area that may interfere with the project.  No progress noted elsewhere.
The RIDOT traffic advisory page for this week has the first reference I've seen regarding the RI 146 sign replacement project: "Smithfield/Lincoln: Rte. 146 North and South, from Rte 146A to the Mass. line, right lane and shoulder closures for sign work, Mon.-Fri. form 9 a.m. to 2 p.m." Don't know how the weather will affect the work.

There has been no reference on the same page for exit renumbering elsewhere since mid-December, implying that work is complete, though the exit renumbering project website has not been updated.

What did the sign work turn out to be?
Don't know, but RIDOT has continued the traffic advisory for subsequent weeks, including this one. I assumed they are going to be putting in new sign supports and foundations, since this would be hard for them to do during the winter, it must be something else. Perhaps just putting up more orange placement tags for the future sign locations.
The lastest RIDOT traffic advisory for Feb. 23-March 1 no longer lists any shoulder closings for sign work along RI 146 north of RI 146A. Apparently, whatever work was being done over the past month has been completed.

yakra

"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

vdeane

I saw a yellow "old exit XX" banner on a sign when I passed RI 4 on I-95 last week, so there's a chance it has, depending on where they started.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

spooky

I went southbound from I-95 to Exit 3A (old Exit 5A) on Saturday and it appeared to be complete. There are new BGS for Exits 3 A & 3B which acknowledge both RI 102 and RI 2 - previous signs were undersized RIDOT specials and only included RI 102.

yakra

RI4:
Many thanks. So, is the following correct?

Old ExitNew ExitComments
53A/B southbound
77A/B southbound. This one keeps its number.
89A/B northbound
Also, would I be correct in assuming the at-grade junctions south of Exit 3 (Oak Hill Rd, West Allenton Rd) do not have exit numbers? Or are there actually exit numbers at one or more of these?

RI403: Has anyone spotted exit numbers in the field yet?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

bob7374

Quote from: yakra on March 07, 2019, 12:45:13 PM
RI4:
Many thanks. So, is the following correct?

Old ExitNew ExitComments
53A/B southbound
77A/B southbound. This one keeps its number.
89A/B northbound
Also, would I be correct in assuming the at-grade junctions south of Exit 3 (Oak Hill Rd, West Allenton Rd) do not have exit numbers? Or are there actually exit numbers at one or more of these?

RI403: Has anyone spotted exit numbers in the field yet?
The only RI 403 numbers I spotted back in December were on the new gore signs, still hidden behind the old signs:

bob7374

I've posted new photos of the new mileage based exit number signage for RI 4:

and the new exit number signage for RI 403:

on my Misc. Photos website:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on March 25, 2019, 02:49:13 PM
and the new exit number signage for RI 403:

on my Misc. Photos website:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html
Is it me or does that gantry look ridiculously large?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Verlanka

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 25, 2019, 02:58:18 PM

The gantry looks fine when I see it.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Verlanka on March 26, 2019, 09:43:36 AM

I was referring to the gantry's structural members & post in terms of thickness.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 26, 2019, 10:42:05 AM

I was referring to the gantry's structural members & post in terms of thickness.
I think it's a high wind area.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Alps on March 26, 2019, 03:26:13 PM

The other gantries in the area aren't that humongous.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Ben114

The way they put that "old exit 6" tab looks odd.

roadman

Quote from: Alps on March 26, 2019, 03:26:13 PM

Highest AASHTO wind zone in Rhode Island is 130 mph.  This structure is clearly overbuilt for anticipated wind conditions at this location.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

AMLNet49

It's not the only one in Rhode Island that's comically overbuilt

southshore720

Route 146 update:  Exit number gore signs are going up in the Northern stretch from RI 116 upward.  I saw a few the other day!  Looks like we're finally seeing progress on this project!

The Ghostbuster

Now if only Massachusetts would restart its sequential-to-milepost exit numbering conversion, instead of permanently canceling it.

bob7374

Quote from: southshore720 on May 21, 2019, 01:44:34 PM
Route 146 update:  Exit number gore signs are going up in the Northern stretch from RI 116 upward.  I saw a few the other day!  Looks like we're finally seeing progress on this project!
Glad to hear the traffic advisory that has been posted about lane closures on RI 146 north of RI 99 for signing work on and off for the last few months finally has something to show for it.

southshore720

They seem to have gone farther into the Lincoln stretch with the gore signs and they have primarily started on RI 146 Southbound.  I thought these were in two different contracts?  Interestingly, RI 123 is Exit 5 with no suffix.  I'm wondering if that means Twin River Rd. will be Exit 4B and RI 246/O.L. Pike will be Exit 4A...

**UPDATE:  It is confirmed that Twin River Rd. will be Exit 4 NB/Exit 4B SB and RI 246/O.L. Pike is Exit 4A SB.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: southshore720 on May 23, 2019, 11:57:11 AM
They seem to have gone farther into the Lincoln stretch with the gore signs and they have primarily started on RI 146 Southbound.  I thought these were in two different contracts?  Interestingly, RI 123 is Exit 5 with no suffix.  I'm wondering if that means Twin River Rd. will be Exit 4B and RI 246/O.L. Pike will be Exit 4A...

I figured that would be as such when I made my signs.  South of there, I have RI 15 as Exit 2, Branch Ave as Exit 1B (Exit 1 NB), and Admiral St as Exit 1A.  Twin River Rd would be Exit 4 NB. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bob7374

Quote from: southshore720 on May 23, 2019, 11:57:11 AM
As part of the first contract, numbered gore signs are to be installed at all the RI 146 exits. The rest of the exit signs south of I-295 will be installed under the second contract.

mass_citizen

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 21, 2019, 03:52:59 PM
Now if only Massachusetts would restart its sequential-to-milepost exit numbering conversion, instead of permanently canceling it.

Yes! Because motorists using signage to know how many miles they are from their desired exit is so important in the age of GPS that we should spend millions of dollars on statewide sign conversions!

PHLBOS

Quote from: mass_citizen on May 24, 2019, 12:40:01 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 21, 2019, 03:52:59 PM

Yes! Because motorists using signage to know how many miles they are from their desired exit is so important in the age of GPS that we should spend millions of dollars on statewide sign conversions!
Two things:

1.  The first part of your quote can be considered fighting words; read my signature line... just saying.

2.  MassDOT is already replacing many of its signs anyway; so while the numbers haven't changed yet on those new signs, the new exit tab panels are sized for pending mile-marker based exit numbers (i.e. should EXIT XX become EXIT YY A).  That said, the money spent argument is comparatively moot.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.