News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Rhode Island mileage based exit numbers?

Started by vdeane, April 27, 2014, 05:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 03, 2017, 12:30:43 PM
Interesting thing: Google Maps has updated I-295's exit numbers northbound, but left the old numbers southbound.

Strange, then again google maps has done some fishy things always.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on December 12, 2017, 11:59:04 PM
With the news that the I-295 Exit Renumbering Project was complete, I took a road trip down to take a look on Monday. I've posted photos of many of the new exit numbered signs, including this overhead approaching the RI 146 exit,:

and this ground-mounted sign for RI 7:

on the space on my Misc. Mass. Road Photos page that I had reserved for the Massachusetts Exit Renumbering Project:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html
Which until that is started will be devoted to RI and CT's exit renumbering projects.

Also photos for the new exit number signs on RI 99.
Good photos Bob, as always.  Interesting that, unlike other states (PA, ME) that have done exit number conversions, RI has chosen to place the "OLD EXIT XX" plates on every advance sign for the interchange, as well as with the gore sign.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

KEVIN_224

So...I-295 exits from itself in Johnston? I've taken the other ramp in that area many times for US Route 6 West, heading back towards greater Hartford.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 13, 2017, 10:01:44 PM
So...I-295 exits from itself in Johnston? I've taken the other ramp in that area many times for US Route 6 West, heading back towards greater Hartford.

Same here. The ramp was originally built for the I-84 that never was, and traffic from route 6 west exiting to 295 south utilizes that area, but I'd like to know the rationale of keeping the ramp open despite I-84 being cancelled.  Is it a symbol of holding out hope that someday I-84 will be built to Hartford, much like the overpass on CT 82 is a symbol of holding out hope that someday CT 11 will be completed? 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 13, 2017, 10:01:44 PM
I guess you're referring to I-295 having a U-turn exit in Johnston. That's not exiting itself.

southshore720

Unless you are law enforcement or RIDOT maintenance crews, that U-Turn is absolutely useless.

southshore720

Quote from: bob7374 on December 12, 2017, 11:59:04 PM
With the news that the I-295 Exit Renumbering Project was complete, I took a road trip down to take a look on Monday. I've posted photos of many of the new exit numbered signs, including this overhead approaching the RI 146 exit,:

and this ground-mounted sign for RI 7:

on the space on my Misc. Mass. Road Photos page that I had reserved for the Massachusetts Exit Renumbering Project:
http://www.malmeroads.net/mass21c/miscsigns.html
Which until that is started will be devoted to RI and CT's exit renumbering projects.

Also photos for the new exit number signs on RI 99.
Excellent photo album, Bob!  You saved me a trip!

Beeper1

Interesting to note that the new exit numbers don't match the mile numbers that used to be shown on the old dual mile/exit exit tabs.

Marf

Why is there a discrepancy regarding the OLD tabs?
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

bob7374

RIDOT has just posted that they will let the contract to replace exit signage along RI 146 on Feb 21. The new signs will have mileage based exit numbers, and, based on information in the Dec. 2017 RIDOT STIP the project will take place in 2 phases, the first phase between the MA border to Lincoln, the second phase will complete the signing through Providence to I-95. (p.249 and 252). Previous reports indicated gore signs with the new numbers will be placed at all the exits during the first phase. The STIP can be accessed at: http://www.planning.ri.gov/documents/tip/2018/STIP_FULL_01_09_18.pdf

Alps

Quote from: bob7374 on January 27, 2018, 12:17:39 PM
RIDOT has just posted that they will let the contract to replace exit signage along RI 146 on Feb 21. The new signs will have mileage based exit numbers, and, based on information in the Dec. 2017 RIDOT STIP the project will take place in 2 phases, the first phase between the MA border to Lincoln, the second phase will complete the signing through Providence to I-95. (p.249 and 252). Previous reports indicated gore signs with the new numbers will be placed at all the exits during the first phase. The STIP can be accessed at: http://www.planning.ri.gov/documents/tip/2018/STIP_FULL_01_09_18.pdf
Exit numbers! Will the traffic light get one?

roadman

Two phases?  Route 146 isn't THAT long.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bob7374

:D
Quote from: roadman on January 28, 2018, 11:35:30 AM

Last STIP had it occurring in 3 phases.

spooky

True, but it does have two distinct highway segments.

AMLNet49

Quote from: spooky on January 29, 2018, 08:14:42 AM

Does that mean that the short expressway-grade section isn't getting replaced and numbered? In Mass the non-freeway segment got the new signs with exit numbers along with the rest of the road

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: AMLNet49 on January 29, 2018, 11:32:32 AM
Quote from: spooky on January 29, 2018, 08:14:42 AM

Does that mean that the short expressway-grade section isn't getting replaced and numbered? In Mass the non-freeway segment got the new signs with exit numbers along with the rest of the road

The non-freeway portion is easier to number than the area surrounding 295.  RI 116 has two ramps southbound but only one northbound.  Southbound, 116 would be 8B and 8A, and 295 would be 8D and 8C.  Northbound, RI 116 would be 8A, but 295 could either be 8B and 8C to stay in sequence or 8C and 8D to be consistent with southbound numbering.  Getting back to the non-freeway portion: Exit 9 NB would be for RI 99, while the RIRO SB at Reservoir Road (if numbered) would be Exit 9.  The at-grade Sayles Hill Rd. intersection (if numbered) would be Exit 10.  The NB only exit to RI 146A would be Exit 11, while the RIRO to Sayles Hill Rd SB (if numbered) would be Exit 11; the U-Turn to Exit 11 NB is just that; no number needed.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 29, 2018, 12:13:07 PMThe NB only exit to RI 146A would be Exit 11, while the RIRO to Sayles Hill Rd SB (if numbered) would be Exit 11; the U-Turn to Exit 11 NB is just that; no number needed.
I'll disagree, because the Palisades Interstate Parkway signs its U-turns for the exit on the other side. SB should have an 11B-11A setup (assuming you've got the mileposts right, I'm not checking), which means that the NB exit would just be 11A. (I think that's better than 11B. Since SB exits happen simultaneously, you can choose which is which.)

Beeper1

Except the U-turn really serves as more of an on-ramp to RI-146 NB from 146A SB than anything else.  While you can technically use it as a 146 SB to 146A movement, doing so is really dangerous. You have a very tight weave SB, and NB you almost have to cross the mainline lanes at a 90 degree angle.   I would re-stripe and sign this purely as an entrance to NB from 146A SB and not as an exit.

Alps

Quote from: Beeper1 on January 29, 2018, 10:45:59 PM
Except the U-turn really serves as more of an on-ramp to RI-146 NB from 146A SB than anything else.  While you can technically use it as a 146 SB to 146A movement, doing so is really dangerous. You have a very tight weave SB, and NB you almost have to cross the mainline lanes at a 90 degree angle.   I would re-stripe and sign this purely as an entrance to NB from 146A SB and not as an exit.
Fair. I concede.

bob7374

It appears Liddell Bros. was the winning bidder for RIDOT's second exit renumbering contract today. The winning bid was $696,995. For that price, how many routes do you think will be renumbered? None of the state routes to be switched has more than 6 exits in each direction (RI 10 and 24). 

The bid item list may give a clue, if there's someone who can decipher it:
https://www.pmp.dot.ri.gov/PMP/PMPReporting/Home.mvc/ReportViewer/381859

roadman

Quote from: bob7374 on September 11, 2018, 10:52:42 PM
It appears Liddell Bros. was the winning bidder for RIDOT's second exit renumbering contract today. The winning bid was $696,995. For that price, how many routes do you think will be renumbered? None of the state routes to be switched has more than 6 exits in each direction (RI 10 and 24). 

This bid item list appears to be incomplete.  It discusses sign panels, posts, and foundations to be removed and disposed, as well as temporary traffic control items.  But the items for new signs/sign overlays are missing.

bob7374

Quote from: roadman on September 12, 2018, 09:49:52 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on September 11, 2018, 10:52:42 PM

This bid item list appears to be incomplete.  It discusses sign panels, posts, and foundations to be removed and disposed, as well as temporary traffic control items.  But the items for new signs/sign overlays are missing.
Interesting. The new contract is almost for twice the amount of last year's I-295/RI 99 project, $697,000 vs. $350,000. Doing some back of the envelope calculating, since last year's contract changed the signs of 11 exits (the 1 on RI 99 and all but Exit 3A/B on I-295), then, presuming similar costs, this contract could change as many as 22 exits. Or perhaps a more precise measure would be the number of exit ramps whose numbers were changed, the total in both directions for I-295/RI 99 was 31, so say 62 potentially for the new contract. From looking at RI exit lists it appears that all the RI routes to have numbers change total around 65 at a maximum, therefore it's conceivable that the new contract will be changing numbers on most, if not all, RI routes. Assuming RIDOT will start publicizing the changes around the same time they did last year, we can expect to see what actual routes are included in the project in about a month.

vdeane

I'm guessing either I-95 or everything that isn't I-95 or I-295.  I think I remember reading that I-95 would be last, so that would make it everything else.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bob7374

RIDOT has posted the numbers for the next 2 routes to switch, RI 4 and RI 78 (Also adding numbers to RI 403). Numbers on their Exit Remumbering Project page: http://www.dot.ri.gov/projects/exitnumbers/index.php

Beeper1

Wow.  Kind of a small group this round. 

I hope this means RI-78 will be getting new signage overall, since it is a mix of super-worn-out 1970s signage and typical piss-poor RI LGSs. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.