News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Rare and vintage New York City highway signs

Started by M3019C LPS20, October 11, 2015, 01:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M3019C LPS20

I recently acquired two vintage highway signs from the city of New York. As of present day, I own 33 signs from New York City.

Here's what marked number 30 in the collection.

This highway sign guided motorists to the Grand Central Pkwy. in Queens, N.Y. The color scheme is white on black, and I believe it dates back to the 1940s. Judging by the marks on all four sides of the sign, I believe it was once encased in a wooden frame. Out of all of my signs from my collection, this one is my largest. I was surprised I was able to fit it into my Nissan hatchback when I picked it up several days ago.

My next one is a rare and an uncommon New York City bridge shield sign.

Labeled as "CROSS BAY BRIDGE," the sign dates back to around 1965. The Cross Bay Bridge (today officially known as the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge) is located in Queens, N.Y. It connects the mainland and the Rockaways. Originally built as a drawbridge in 1939, it was dismantled in the late 1960s. A new bridge with an adequate clearance level for marine traffic was constructed, and it opened to traffic in the Spring of 1970.

This shield is identical to the Marine Parkway (AKA Gil Hodges) Bridge sign; however, the color scheme is the total opposite.

empirestate

Do we know of a comprehensive collection of images for these old bridge and tunnel trailblazers, with all the different facilities represented?

M3019C LPS20

Quote from: empirestate on October 11, 2015, 08:29:57 AM
Do we know of a comprehensive collection of images for these old bridge and tunnel trailblazers, with all the different facilities represented?

You may want to refer to this collection...

www.aaroads.com/shields/thumbs.php?state=NY&view=4

empirestate

Quote from: M3019C LPS20 on October 11, 2015, 02:29:37 PM
Quote from: empirestate on October 11, 2015, 08:29:57 AM

You may want to refer to this collection...

www.aaroads.com/shields/thumbs.php?state=NY&view=4

Awesome. But I was thinking of something a bit more organized and detailed; perhaps I'll start a list.

route17fan

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NY19652783

This has the trailblazers for bridges and tunnels - Throgs Neck Br, Queens Midtown Tunnel, Brooklyn Battery, Verrazano Narrows, Cross Bay, among others. Was this what you were looking for?
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

empirestate

Quote from: route17fan on October 13, 2015, 08:24:32 PM
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=NY19652783

This has the trailblazers for bridges and tunnels - Throgs Neck Br, Queens Midtown Tunnel, Brooklyn Battery, Verrazano Narrows, Cross Bay, among others. Was this what you were looking for?

In part, but I wanted something to take it further. I posted a topic in Road-Related Illustrations with a list of facilities, in the hope that we might collect or create an anthology of them: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=16645.0

rex113

I have an old arrowhead shape sign it says bronx whitestone bridge it has a large capital R in the center. It is porcelain,can anyone tell me what the R stands for and how old it may be...Thanks

Alps

Quote from: rex113 on March 13, 2018, 01:59:42 PM
I have an old arrowhead shape sign it says bronx whitestone bridge it has a large capital R in the center. It is porcelain,can anyone tell me what the R stands for and how old it may be...Thanks
On first blush, that stands for Right turn to get to the bridge and probably original to the 40s. Would love to see a photo.

rex113

How do i post the picture, i looked at all the icons but got a bit confused.

hotdogPi

Quote from: rex113 on March 13, 2018, 06:43:29 PM

Upload it to a site like Flickr or Imgur. (Not Photobucket.)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

Quote from: US71 on March 14, 2018, 07:52:21 AM

[ img ]http://link to your photo[ /img ]

What he said, but without the spaces between the brackets.

[img]http://link to your photo[/img]

(SMF needs the [noparse] [/noparse] tags that some forum software has. Is there an equivalent?)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.