News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

GSP trailblazers

Started by Alps, November 30, 2015, 09:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I found a GSP trailblazer getting onto the NY Thruway northwestbound from NY 59 in Nyack. Though not terribly far from the Parkway, it's in a different state and has absolutely no other Parkway signs at the interchange. (You turn off 59 on a local street, and the shield is then at the turn onto the Thruway ramp - you don't even notice the Thruway shield at first, so it makes you think you're at the wrong ramp.)

Where else are there unusually located GSP shields? One that comes to mind for me is Lakeside Ave. NB ending at Bloomfield Ave./CR 506 in Verona. Yes, the Parkway is down Bloomfield Ave., but I can't see anyone going that way to get there. Unless you live right there, you'd take I-280 from points south.

NJRoadfan

Yes, they are in that giant sine salad for some reason. Perhaps to direct lost souls from Spring Valley or something. There are GSP trailblazers on US-22 east for quite a distance for some reason. Also on CR-577 (mostly southbound) in Springfield. Meanwhile NJDOT can't be bothered to post trailblazers to aid drivers to any of their highways in the same area.

Pete from Boston

Not really an unusual location at all.  The start of the Parkway is maybe 500 yards down the road from where one enters the Thruway here.  True, it is not technically called "Garden State Parkway" until one enters New Jersey three miles from that point, but pretty much nobody besides the Thruway Authority makes that distinction.

It was far more unusual that there was a BGS in Westchester that read "Garden State Parkway" approaching Exit 8 on 287 westbound, but that has probably been gone for 15 years.

Alps

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 01, 2015, 07:30:40 AM
Not really an unusual location at all.  The start of the Parkway is maybe 500 yards down the road from where one enters the Thruway here.  True, it is not technically called "Garden State Parkway" until one enters New Jersey three miles from that point, but pretty much nobody besides the Thruway Authority makes that distinction.

It was far more unusual that there was a BGS in Westchester that read "Garden State Parkway" approaching Exit 8 on 287 westbound, but that has probably been gone for 15 years.
What I considered unusual is that there were no trailblazers leading up to it. It's not visible from NY 59.

storm2k

What's always struck me is how far and wide GSP trailblazers are, even in locations that are nowhere near the highway. Like this one on Rt 28 near the 287SB on-ramp in Bridgewater. Yes, 287 is the road you'd take to the Parkway (especially to get to the SB side when headed towards Shore destinations) so it's not odd persay, but at this point, the Parkway is almost 20 miles down the highway. There's one on the opposite side as well.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2015, 09:36:55 PM
I found a GSP trailblazer getting onto the NY Thruway northwestbound from NY 59 in Nyack. Though not terribly far from the Parkway, it's in a different state and has absolutely no other Parkway signs at the interchange. (You turn off 59 on a local street, and the shield is then at the turn onto the Thruway ramp - you don't even notice the Thruway shield at first, so it makes you think you're at the wrong ramp.)

Where else are there unusually located GSP shields? One that comes to mind for me is Lakeside Ave. NB ending at Bloomfield Ave./CR 506 in Verona. Yes, the Parkway is down Bloomfield Ave., but I can't see anyone going that way to get there. Unless you live right there, you'd take I-280 from points south.

Where exactly is this? Looking at the GSV, there are a number of "To Parkway" assemblies approaching the onramp to the northbound Thruway from both directions of 59. here's one, here's another.

roadman65

I remember for the longest time, heading SB on US 1 in Edison at CR 501, there was a SOUTH GSP sign directing motorists to exit there and use CR 501 to New Brunswick Avenue to Crows Mill Road instead of just directing you ahead on US 1 to the freeways of I-287 and NJ 440.

I am guessing those were there pre I-287 and NJ 440 freeway construction and the GSP or NJDOT did not bother to update them.  When it came time for replacement, as I am sure they were over time, the contractors or workers in charge of that task just update what is seen, but no check for accuracy, of course, is never done. 

Anyway, I would hope that over the 25 years I was gone that someone noticed it and updated those shields especially with the US 1 widening in the late 00's and early 10's.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on December 02, 2015, 01:27:47 AM
I remember for the longest time, heading SB on US 1 in Edison at CR 501, there was a SOUTH GSP sign directing motorists to exit there and use CR 501 to New Brunswick Avenue to Crows Mill Road instead of just directing you ahead on US 1 to the freeways of I-287 and NJ 440.

I am guessing those were there pre I-287 and NJ 440 freeway construction and the GSP or NJDOT did not bother to update them.  When it came time for replacement, as I am sure they were over time, the contractors or workers in charge of that task just update what is seen, but no check for accuracy, of course, is never done. 

Anyway, I would hope that over the 25 years I was gone that someone noticed it and updated those shields especially with the US 1 widening in the late 00's and early 10's.

Still there, though probably not the same one from 25 years ago. There's another trailblazer at the bottom of the ramp to direct people onto Amboy Ave eastbound to get to the SB Parkway. It follows CR-501 down Amboy Ave and onto King George's Post Rd to the Parkway onramps near The Tangle. It's still much more sensical to stay on 1 and get onto 440 NB to the Parkway, unless traffic is at a total standstill.

roadman65

Amazing that after 40 years that no one has corrected that.  I-287 to NJ 440 was opened to traffic circa 1971.  The funny thing is this is also follow up to the Menlo Park Mall traffic signs on Parsonage Road, so all mall patrons trailblazing to the Parkway South are using the streets of Fords over the freeways.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

There used to be one in Morristown on NJ 24 approaching 287 long before 287 itself is signed https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7946787,-74.4791392,3a,37.5y,173.63h,73.66t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sj68U7lvl0r9jsB9fIKTINw!2e0!5s20090801T000000!7i3328!8i1664
In fact, the way to enter 287 is very badly signed through most of Morristown. It is now gone, but this one further east, after the first 287 reassurance, is still there: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7893608,-74.4728411,3a,37.5y,173.63h,75.13t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s_Jw7rPLx877guMjsjOPGEg!2e0!5s20141001T000000!7i13312!8i6656
Notice that these GSP signs are pointing to 287 North despite the fact that if you want Parkway South 287 South is about the same amount of time.

Edit: it occurs to me that these signs might predate the NJ 24 Freeway and are meant to lead you along the old NJ 24 alignment, not via 287 to current 24.

roadman

Quote from: storm2k on December 02, 2015, 12:58:43 AM
What's always struck me is how far and wide GSP trailblazers are, even in locations that are nowhere near the highway.

In the 1960s and 1970s, there were trailblazer signs for the Mass Pike throughout most of Massachusetts, even at locations quite distant from the Turnpike (like on I-95 south entering Massachusetts at the New Hampshire border or on Route 2 at I-91 in Greenfield).  So I'm not completely surprised that GSP would do similar.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on December 02, 2015, 11:57:38 AM
What's always struck me is how far and wide GSP trailblazers are, even in locations that are nowhere near the highway.

In the 1960s and 1970s, there were trailblazer signs for the Mass Pike throughout most of Massachusetts, even at locations quite distant from the Turnpike (like on I-95 south entering Massachusetts at the New Hampshire border or on Route 2 at I-91 in Greenfield).  So I'm not completely surprised that GSP would do similar.

Much like the signage the DRPA used to install, pointing the way to their bridges, even in smaller towns not remotely close to the bridges.

Those signs are still out there here and there, although chances are if you find one you'll never find another one to continue the guidance towards the bridge.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 02, 2015, 12:29:55 PM
Quote from: roadman on December 02, 2015, 11:57:38 AM

Much like the signage the DRPA used to install, pointing the way to their bridges, even in smaller towns not remotely close to the bridges.

Those signs are still out there here and there, although chances are if you find one you'll never find another one to continue the guidance towards the bridge.

I recall signs in small towns in New Jersey 15 and 20 miles from the George Washington Bridge pointing the way to that crossing.  Same general idea re: continuity, though they tend to steer folks onto major routes.

shadyjay

CT used to have a pair of Mass Pike logos on I-95 at the I-395 split, some 54 miles from the Mass border, and some 65-70 miles from the pike itself, along with a BGS saying "Mass Tpke/Worcester".  When signs were replaced c 2000, the BGS was removed but the small MP logos stayed for several more years.  I think there still may be one left.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: storm2k on December 02, 2015, 01:08:35 AM
Where exactly is this? Looking at the GSV, there are a number of "To Parkway" assemblies approaching the onramp to the northbound Thruway from both directions of 59. here's one, here's another.

https://goo.gl/maps/CPd9SqDWvo82
https://goo.gl/maps/cxZ9kitUQ5w
https://goo.gl/maps/gsXG7QGU4rj

Alps

Interchange 11, not 14

Alps

Quote from: shadyjay on December 02, 2015, 02:24:19 PM
CT used to have a pair of Mass Pike logos on I-95 at the I-395 split, some 54 miles from the Mass border, and some 65-70 miles from the pike itself, along with a BGS saying "Mass Tpke/Worcester".  When signs were replaced c 2000, the BGS was removed but the small MP logos stayed for several more years.  I think there still may be one left.

Last time I was through, I looked for them. Pretty sure they're both gone.

roadman

Quote from: Alps on December 02, 2015, 06:36:08 PM

The sign in this photo is neither an original (arrow through hat) nor a second generation (separate arrow) Mass Pike trailblazer, as the font is narrower than on the 1960s/1970s era signs.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Alps

Quote from: roadman on December 02, 2015, 06:43:41 PM
Quote from: Alps on December 02, 2015, 06:36:08 PM

The sign in this photo is not an original Mass Pike trailblazer, as the font is narrower than on the 1960s/1970s era signs.
No one ever said it was an original. Plus I don't think any arrows-through-hats are left in the wild.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Alps on December 02, 2015, 06:34:44 PM

Interchange 11, not 14

I made the same mistake.  My brain substituted "Nanuet" when I read "Nyack."  Disregard my first post on the subject.  Now I understand why Parkway signs there would be scarce. 

I know well the location you are talking about, though I haven't been there in quite a while.  It isn't all that odd that there's a GSP sign there, but it's more odd if, as the iffy Google Street View imagery hints, there's no Palisades Parkway sign.

storm2k

Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 02, 2015, 09:25:01 PM

Interchange 11, not 14

I made the same mistake.  My brain substituted "Nanuet" when I read "Nyack."  Disregard my first post on the subject.  Now I understand why Parkway signs there would be scarce. 

I know well the location you are talking about, though I haven't been there in quite a while.  It isn't all that odd that there's a GSP sign there, but it's more odd if, as the iffy Google Street View imagery hints, there's no Palisades Parkway sign.

The more interesting thing is that if you look at the GSV history, the damn sign was replaced with a bigger trailblazer between 2009 and now.

jp the roadgeek

I remember in the early 90's seeing a NJTP trailblazer sign at the I-895 exit off the B/W Parkway.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cl94

Quote from: storm2k on December 03, 2015, 11:19:34 AM
Quote from: Pete from Boston on December 02, 2015, 09:25:01 PM

Interchange 11, not 14

The more interesting thing is that if you look at the GSV history, the damn sign was replaced with a bigger trailblazer between 2009 and now.

I don't know if they're still there, but I found something as interesting at the other half of that interchange. State name shields. Other than the ones on back roads in Halfmoon, I can't think of any others for I-87 that still exist off the top of my head.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadman65

I wonder just how many shields are out there that the NJTA are unaware of as I am sure they do not keep inventory of the signs they have?

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

There is apparently a Tappan Zee Bridge trailblazer too: https://goo.gl/maps/p1C6cUTdncA2

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.