News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

MassPike AET discussion

Started by SidS1045, June 13, 2016, 11:42:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob7374

MassDOT has scheduled a new round of public meetings regarding the demolition of toll plazas after AET activation on 10/28. Press release:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/toll-plaza-demolition-reconstruction-public-meetings-set/

Pete from Boston

Observation this week: all signs relating to tolls have rolled-up tarps tied atop them, ready to drop in four weeks.

Saw a sign somewhere around Worcester saying unspecified road work will begin 10/3.

bob7374

The MassDOT Board approved the new AET toll rates this afternoon to go into effect the evening of 10/28. There were some adjustments due to public comments. The official blog entry has a link to the revised toll calculator page:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-board-approves-all-electronic-tolling-gantry-rates/

kalvado

Quote from: bob7374 on October 06, 2016, 11:31:41 PM
The MassDOT Board approved the new AET toll rates this afternoon to go into effect the evening of 10/28. There were some adjustments due to public comments. The official blog entry has a link to the revised toll calculator page:
http://blog.mass.gov/transportation/massdot-highway/massdot-board-approves-all-electronic-tolling-gantry-rates/
I really wonder how the switching would be organized. If things can be  relatively simple for ezpass - just overlap and remove duplicate charges - things may be interesting with last paper tickets...

SidS1045

The Boston Globe ran a story about the revised rates this morning.  The new rates mentioned in the story:

Weston (near the maintenance center and State Police barracks):  was 45 cents, now 20 cents
Allston (just west of interchange 18):  was 50 cents, now 35 cents
Newton (just east of interchange 16):  was 20 cents, now 35 cents

The toll rates announced initially would have resulted in half of all trips on the toll roads paying higher tolls than before.  The new rates will mean that about 64 percent will pay the same or lower rates.

Also announced yesterday was a grace period for drivers who sign up for E-ZPass after October 28th.  For six months after 10/28, drivers who get an E-ZPass tag will be credited the difference between the bill-by-mail and E-ZPass rates.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

When using the provided toll calculator in the above-link to calculate a Sturbridge (I-84) to Weston (I-95/MA 128) toll (a jaunt I frequently make); the following rates (one-way) were listed:

Current toll: $1.75

AET w/MA E-ZPass: $1.70
AET w/other E-ZPass: $1.70
Cash-By-Plate: $1.70

Either there's in error in the toll calculator or there appears to be a discounted grace period toll for all users regardless of payment method.  Personally, I tend to believe that the former is true (error) unless otherwise officially noted.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 07, 2016, 09:29:06 AM
When using the provided toll calculator in the above-link to calculate a Sturbridge (I-84) to Weston (I-95/MA 128) toll (a jaunt I frequently make); the following rates (one-way) were listed:

Current toll: $1.75

AET w/MA E-ZPass: $1.70
AET w/other E-ZPass: $1.70
Cash-By-Plate: $1.70

Either there's in error in the toll calculator or there appears to be a discounted grace period toll for all users regardless of payment method.  Personally, I tend to believe that the former is true (error) unless otherwise officially noted.
There's an error in how the display works. When you enter a new classification from the list the toll rates appear to refresh, but they actually don't. You need to press the submit button again to get the actual new rate.

Thus for I-84 to I-95/128 the rates listed are:
Current          -   $1.75
E-ZPassMA     -   $1.70
OtherE-ZPass  -  $2.00
No E-ZPass     -  $3.50

For the length of the Turnpike from West Stockbridge to Logan Airport
Current            -  $7.10
E-ZPassMA       -   $7.45
E-ZPass Other   -  $9.35
No E-ZPass       - $13.55

PHLBOS

Quote from: bob7374 on October 07, 2016, 12:28:39 PMThere's an error in how the display works. When you enter a new classification from the list the toll rates appear to refresh, but they actually don't. You need to press the submit button again to get the actual new rate.

Thus for I-84 to I-95/128 the rates listed are:
Current          -   $1.75
E-ZPassMA     -   $1.70
OtherE-ZPass  -  $2.00
No E-ZPass     -  $3.50
Got it. 

What's interesting is when one looks at the Current Toll heading when one checks the out-of-state E-ZPass rate; the toll is listed at $2.20.  :confused:  Something's still not working quite right in that calculator.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bob7374

Berkshire Eagle article discussing in detail how the Mass Pike toll plazas at Exits 1 and 2 will be demolished with the start of the AET system 10/28:
http://www.berkshireeagle.com/news/ci_30462484/razing-tolls-at-exit-1

Beeper1

MassDOT has posted the presentation from the first of those meetings, focused on the demolition of the plazas at Exits 1 and 2.    Looks like they plan to construct an EB weigh station at the site of the West Stockbridge plaza.   Which is good, considering how frequently Mass operates its stations and how well the one between Sturbridge and Auburn worked out.

http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Portals/8/docs/aet/presentation_101116.pdf

cl94

Nice to see that they're going to try and have it all done pretty quickly. Compare that to how long it took New York to remove the EB booths at the Verrazano.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

Or the Henry Hudson.  AET became permanent there a couple years ago, the work on the new gantry and toll plaza demolition has already begun, and it's not supposed to be completed until 2020.  And that's before Cuomo's AET announcement (which makes one wonder if any work at the Henry Hudson will need to be redone).  Something tells me the other MTA AET conversions won't happen any faster.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Jim

I took what were likely my last rides on the Mass Pike before the AET conversion through the Berkshires and back this afternoon and tonight.  Great day for it with a lot of sun and near peak foliage.  There are a lot of VMS messages about the conversion, and at least one billboard in Westfield.  All of the signs that won't be relevant in 2 weeks have blue tarps ready to be pulled down over them.  It is going to be strange going past what will soon be the former site of the Stockbridge toll booth and not having to slow down.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

bob7374

Quote from: Jim on October 15, 2016, 12:25:40 AM
I took what were likely my last rides on the Mass Pike before the AET conversion through the Berkshires and back this afternoon and tonight.  Great day for it with a lot of sun and near peak foliage.  There are a lot of VMS messages about the conversion, and at least one billboard in Westfield.  All of the signs that won't be relevant in 2 weeks have blue tarps ready to be pulled down over them.  It is going to be strange going past what will soon be the former site of the Stockbridge toll booth and not having to slow down.
Here's a photo of one of the covered gantry signs I took yesterday after the I-84 Sturbridge in Charlton heading east:

Here's a photo from my last time west through the Weston tolls:

And of the 1-Mile warning sign that will no longer be needed in 2 weeks:

KEVIN_224

Looks like Charlton heading east, not long before the westbound rest stop, between exits 9 and 10.

kalvado

Quote from: bob7374 on October 15, 2016, 12:51:10 PM
Here's a photo of one of the covered gantry signs I took yesterday after the I-84 Sturbridge heading east:

13'11"?  Given that half of a country uses 14', isn't that a bit low for a new structure? Especially on a major highway with limited bypass options..

hotdogPi

Quote from: kalvado on October 16, 2016, 11:33:19 AM
Here's a photo of one of the covered gantry signs I took yesterday after the I-84 Sturbridge heading east:

13'11"?  Given that half of a country uses 14', isn't that a bit low for a new structure? Especially on a major highway with limited bypass options..

In most cases, actual clearance is 2.5" higher than what the sign says.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Pete from Boston

Quote from: kalvado on October 16, 2016, 11:33:19 AM

That's one inch difference.

Beeper1

The 13' 11" is actually referring to the overpass you see in the far background of the photo, not the toll gantry.   That sign has been there for years.

cl94

Quote from: Beeper1 on October 16, 2016, 10:28:11 PM
The 13' 11" is actually referring to the overpass you see in the far background of the photo, not the toll gantry.   That sign has been there for years.

Beat me to it. The gantries are standard height.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

kalvado

Quote from: Beeper1 on October 16, 2016, 10:28:11 PM
Ah, NOW that makes sense!

SidS1045

Traveled the Pike yesterday between I-84 and 128 yesterday (with a road full of leaf peepers).  Small directional signs have been placed before the two toll booths I went through...for example, WEST I-90 with a left arrow and EAST I-90 with a right arrow, before the Sturbridge toll booths.  Also, above the SPEED LIMIT 15 signs at the booths are small (and currently covered) signs:  DO NOT STOP.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

bob7374

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 22, 2016, 03:20:09 PM
Traveled the Pike yesterday between I-84 and 128 yesterday (with a road full of leaf peepers).  Small directional signs have been placed before the two toll booths I went through...for example, WEST I-90 with a left arrow and EAST I-90 with a right arrow, before the Sturbridge toll booths.  Also, above the SPEED LIMIT 15 signs at the booths are small (and currently covered) signs:  DO NOT STOP.
The presentation slides showing the toll plaza layouts during and after the demolition project are available for all exits east of the Weston tolls  at:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/highway/TollInformation/AllElectronicTolling.aspx

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

cl94

Friday is the big day. MassDOT has been doing a huge PR blast, with all news agencies in or near Massachusetts providing information on the change. I'll probably check out the work at Stockbridge and Lee at some point next week and report back.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.