News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US/State mixup shield error signs

Started by hotdogPi, August 17, 2016, 07:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: tckma on December 19, 2017, 10:37:26 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 11, 2017, 11:32:31 PM
US 99 at Fresno-Yosemite International Airport where CA 99 ought to be:
The US 99 appears to be a contractor error while the US 61 is a leftover from when the highway still existed north of Duluth.

To be fair -- weren't CA-99 and OR-99 intended to be US-99 someday?  Obviously not anymore, but ... ?

Actually they "were"  US 99.  In the case of Fresno Yosemite the sign was installed way past the late 1960s when US 99 became CA 99. 

JasonOfORoads

Found this one out driving near West Linn, Oregon back in October. This is along Willamette Falls Drive a.k.a. old Oregon 212:

Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

jmd41280

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Hurricane Rex

Most travel guides will have some sort of mix up on someway shape or form.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

US 89

The US 200 in this one should be MT 200.

freebrickproductions

^^^Would US 200 be a daughter route of US 400? :pan:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

tckma

Quote from: roadguy2 on January 11, 2018, 06:00:11 PM

200 is basically a US route anyway, sharing the same number across (off the top of my head) MT, ND, and MN, as well as possibly other states.   :bigass:

hotdogPi

Quote from: tckma on January 12, 2018, 05:03:52 PM

200 is basically a US route anyway, sharing the same number across (off the top of my head) MT, ND, and MN, as well as possibly other states.   :bigass:

ID is the other.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

MNHighwayMan

paulthemapguy

Westbound reassurance marker off of IL-103.  I had to center the sign panel in the photograph to keep the sun out of the viewfinder.

IL-US24-103WRX by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

jmd41280

"PA 19" signs along Ivory Ave. in Pittsburgh (should be US 19)...

"PA Route 19" sign goof (should be US 19) by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

gonealookin

At one time California featured US 40, 50, 60, 70 and 80.  US 50 was the last surviving dinosaur, but, alas, it too has now succumbed.

formulanone

Found a "US 9A" sign in Bronx near the Henry Hudson Parkway, digging though my old 2013 photos:

hockeyjohn

The whole Highway 200 should have just been marked as a western branch US-4.

TBKS1

These aren't very common in Arkansas.

AR-67, which doesn't actually exist. It's US-67 in Searcy. Taken today.

AR-67? by TheInstrumentalist, on Flickr
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

gonealookin

I took the photo of the green "CA 50" spade above at the end of February.  It didn't last long because going by there today I saw the proper US 50 cutout replacement.  I imagined jrouse seeing the photo, storming across the office and pounding on somebody's desk.   :pan:

texaskdog

I was leaving the South Terminal at the Austin airport last week and they have a "Texas 183" sign on the road leading you to US 183.  I took a picture but can never post successfully on here, happy to email it to someone.

roadfro

Quote from: texaskdog on March 31, 2018, 03:15:30 PM
I took a picture but can never post successfully on here, happy to email it to someone.

You first have to upload your picture to a picture hosting service (such as Flickr), then link to the picture in your post.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

formulanone

US 222 makes an appearance in Gainesville, though only on an airport guide sign:

PurdueBill

Appeared on the ramp carrying IN 25 to Burlington Ave near Logansport; seen before but finally photographed on Saturday.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: PurdueBill on April 25, 2018, 09:26:38 PM
Appeared on the ramp carrying IN 25 to Burlington Ave near Logansport; seen before but finally photographed on Saturday.

Friendly suggestion: would be nice if the mix-up were pointed out along with each picture, for people unfamiliar with the area. I had to look up a map of Logansport to figure out it's supposed to be US-24, not IN-24. :thumbsup:

PurdueBill

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 25, 2018, 09:45:58 PM
Quote from: PurdueBill on April 25, 2018, 09:26:38 PM

Friendly suggestion: would be nice if the mix-up were pointed out along with each picture, for people unfamiliar with the area. I had to look up a map of Logansport to figure out it's supposed to be US-24, not IN-24. :thumbsup:

It's half the fun.  :D  (US 29 and 25 don't come near Indiana so 24 was left by process of elimination, but that isn't common knowledge for folks from farther away.  But finding that out looking at the map is fun!)

The other part of the fun is that the ramp of the split diamond between intersections ahead carries 25 NB, 24 EB, and 35 SB together, while the dual carriageway adjacent has no routes on it between the offramp and onramp.

formulanone

One of Birmingham's old and funky / weird / awful painted Truck shields was re-purposed for directions to I-59:

I wonder if there was ever a corresponding I-20 (or even a US 20) shield?

WNYroadgeek

formulanone

Looking though some old 2012 photos, found this "GA 129" where US 129 belongs, near Eatonton, Georgia:

It looks like the bungled sign error is still there, but in a different arrangement, as of May 2017...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.