News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Daily Picture Challenge!

Started by empirestate, January 02, 2017, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

QuotePost photos of one or more BGSs together that show at least one interstate, one US, and one state route shield.

On the Beltway:

(Edited to use a different picture with better lighting)

Also, there's this nearby....Interstate, US, and District (rather than state):

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Thing 342

QuotePost photos of one or more BGSs together that show at least one interstate, one US, and one state route shield.

VA-168 SB

(taken by me)

jmd41280

I-78, US 222, PA 309 - Allentown, PA

On the Road by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

empirestate

Quote from: jbnv on January 04, 2017, 08:27:06 PM
Challenge: Post photos of county route shields that are not the standard pentagon (or even an attempt at one). Squares, circles, diamonds, county outline cut-outs–let's see 'em!

Verona, Wisconsin:

That's yesterday's Challenge. ;-)

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 04, 2017, 09:20:35 PM

Photo courtesy Joyner Library, E. Carolina Univ.

This is in Pitt County in the 1960s.  All NC secondary routes were signed this way from 1959 until 1970?  I never saw this style marker that I recall in the mid 70s in eastern NC.

The 22 does designate Pitt County.  Pitt is not 22nd alphabetically from A or in reverse from Z.  However, it appears this number is obtained this way:  Take each NCDOT Division and list the counties in that division alphabetically.  If you list all of Division 1 A-Z, then Division 2 A-Z etc., Pitt is 22nd in this list.

OK, I don't get this? :hmmm:

jbnv

Quote from: empirestate on January 04, 2017, 10:19:58 PM

There's a time limit on challenges? I just found this thread today.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

jmd41280

My second contribution to today's challenge, if it is allowed...

I-277, US 29, US 74, NC 27 - Charlotte, NC

I-77 near I-277, US 74, US 29, & NC Route 27 by Jon Dawson, on Flickr
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

Ian

I-15, US 6, and Utah 156 in Spanish Fork, UT.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

empirestate

Quote from: jbnv on January 04, 2017, 11:02:55 PM

Well yeah; they're daily. :) A Challenge is closed at the end of each day, unless there have been no submissions for it. (I've revised Rule 4 to make it more clear, since what I originally wrote may have seemed contradictory.)

Quote from: jmd41280 on January 04, 2017, 11:29:56 PM
My second contribution to today's challenge, if it is allowed...

Yes, multiple submissions are fine (as long as you're not double-posting). Or you can do up to three different Answers in one post.

Mapmikey

OK, I don't get this? :hmmm:

whoops...put the wrong challenge banner. was supposed to be this one:

Challenge: Post photos of county route shields that are not the standard pentagon (or even an attempt at one). Squares, circles, diamonds, county outline cut-outs–let's see 'em!

hotdogPi

Creating a new challenge.

QuoteJanuary 5 challenge: Post a picture where a route number in the picture and the speed limit are identical, and both are shown in the picture. The route number shown does not have to be the road the picture is on.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TravelingBethelite

QuoteJanuary 5 challenge: Post a picture where a route number in the picture and the speed limit are identical, and both are shown in the picture. The route number shown does not have to be the road the picture is on.

I-70 West, just west of Ohio Exit 157: OH 93-Zanesville/Adamsville, Zanesville, OH

Note: a Speed Limit 70 sign is in the far background of my photo. Click for more detail.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

MNHighwayMan

US-65 and 69 with a speed limit 65 sign in the distance, between Des Moines and Indianola, IA (click to see the original size picture)

paulthemapguy

You can barely see it when you zoom in, but the speed limit sign is there.  I-65 in Kentucky.

IMG_6641 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

formulanone

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 05, 2017, 08:59:00 AM
January 5 challenge: Post a picture where a route number in the picture and the speed limit are identical, and both are shown in the picture.
The route number shown does not have to be the road the picture is on.

Here's one on SH 46 in New Braunfels - I think this meets the criteria:

jbnv

Quote from: empirestate on January 05, 2017, 01:16:24 AM

Well yeah; they're daily. :) A Challenge is closed at the end of each day, unless there have been no submissions for it. (I've revised Rule 4 to make it more clear, since what I originally wrote may have seemed contradictory.)

Your rules, but IMO that makes the game harder for people who want to participate but aren't already in the game. (Compare with my Take-It-Yourself challenge, in which numbers never close.)
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

empirestate

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 05, 2017, 06:31:32 AM

Ah, I see. That was the prior day's Challenge, though–you actually had the right banner for the day you posted. (But see below...)

Quote from: jbnv on January 05, 2017, 10:20:42 AM

Your rules, but IMO that makes the game harder for people who want to participate but aren't already in the game. (Compare with my Take-It-Yourself challenge, in which numbers never close.)

Yeah, I'm seeing that. To be honest, that was kind of the point: to keep the game moving with a variety of different content and not get bogged down with a bunch of old Challenges. (Imagine, if this thread lasts even a month or two, soon it will become basically post anything you want!)

But I also don't want to exclude people from posting to Challenges they may have missed. I can think of a couple ways to possibly help this:
—Do an occasional (weekly?) catch-up day. Say, perhaps on Sundays, we open it up to all Challenges from the previous week?
—Or, allow members to post for previous Challenges as a "bonus" photo, provided they also submit for the current day's Challenge?

What do you all think?

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: empirestate on January 05, 2017, 11:05:09 AM
But I also don't want to exclude people from posting to Challenges they may have missed. I can think of a couple ways to possibly help this:
—Do an occasional (weekly?) catch-up day. Say, perhaps on Sundays, we open it up to all Challenges from the previous week?
—Or, allow members to post for previous Challenges as a "bonus" photo, provided they also submit for the current day's Challenge?

What do you all think?

Either of those seem like fine ideas to me, though if I had to pick one I'd go with the second one.

Ian

I-70 (and I-57) with a 70 speed limit near Effingham, IL

US 40 and speed limit 40 in Vandalia, IL. The speed limit sign can be seen in the background.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

wanderer2575

wanderer2575

January 6th challenge:  Post photos showing two consecutive route numbers (need not be the same route type).

wanderer2575

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 05, 2017, 06:31:32 AM

Ah, I see. That was the prior day's Challenge, though–you actually had the right banner for the day you posted. (But see below...)

Quote from: jbnv on January 05, 2017, 10:20:42 AM

Yeah, I'm seeing that. To be honest, that was kind of the point: to keep the game moving with a variety of different content and not get bogged down with a bunch of old Challenges. (Imagine, if this thread lasts even a month or two, soon it will become basically post anything you want!)

What do you all think?

Or simply allow a little more time to respond to any challenge -- say, three days?

MNHighwayMan

January 6th challenge:  Post photos showing two consecutive route numbers (need not be the same route type).

jeffandnicole

What do you all think?

Honestly, I'm all for keeping it current.  Keep Rule #4 as is - One Calendar day max.

If someone misses a day, their 15 minutes of fame isn't going to ride on a picture they could've posted for a particular challenge.

PHLBOS

QuoteJanuary 6th challenge:  Post photos showing two consecutive route numbers (need not be the same route type).

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Jim

I'm in favor of only a short grace period.  If they were my rules to make, I'd do the same over on the take it yourself number thread.

Mass Pike I-90/I-91.  April 10, 2004.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.