News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highway☆ now available in the iOS App Store! Next steps...

Started by catsynth, May 25, 2017, 04:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: kurumi on June 15, 2017, 01:41:26 AM
It looks like the app needs to be running in the foreground and in the "Live" page (not the "Me") page to pick up new routes... is that the case?

That hasn't been the case with me. It seems to pick up roads when running in the background.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

catsynth

Quote from: hbelkins on June 15, 2017, 01:42:02 PM
Quote from: kurumi on June 15, 2017, 01:41:26 AM
It looks like the app needs to be running in the foreground and in the "Live" page (not the "Me") page to pick up new routes... is that the case?

If it picks up roads while on another page of the app, the "Live" icon should have one of those red dots on it.
That hasn't been the case with me. It seems to pick up roads when running in the background.
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

catsynth

A new update is out today for beta users.  It fixes a bug displaying larger scores, i.e., 1000+; and also tightens the window for discovery.  On the Live view, it is now about 220m radius for the user's location.  On Explore, it is the visible area on the screen but limited to 1.1km radius (so it doesn't try to find *everything* when zoomed way out).

If are not yet on the beta list and would like to be, please let me know.  In any case, hoping to get an update in the store next week (before the July 4 holiday weekend).
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Great Lakes Roads

I was in Pennsylvania for my cousin's graduation party... when I got into Pennsylvania, it didn't show Interstate 90 on my phone... can you go ahead and manually add that into my list?

catsynth

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 25, 2017, 09:51:34 PM
I was in Pennsylvania for my cousin's graduation party... when I got into Pennsylvania, it didn't show Interstate 90 on my phone... can you go ahead and manually add that into my list?

Yes, just fixed that one today! (There was a typo in the automated data for I-90 PA)
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

catsynth

Quote from: catsynth on June 26, 2017, 12:32:21 AM
Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 25, 2017, 09:51:34 PM

Yes, just fixed that one today! (There was a typo in the automated data for I-90 PA)

And I should have read more carefully .  Yes, happy to credit you I-90 in PA. 
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

catsynth

The new version (1.0.2) now available in the App Store!
Tighter window and improved detection, as well as improved display of scores, among other fixes.
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

bulldog1979

Do you have to have the app actively open while driving or riding along a highway for it to pick up said highway? I ask because I left my phone awake (and plugged in) in the trunk of a motorcycle while riding tonight, but it didn't pick up US 141, perhaps because the phone went to sleep during the ride.

catsynth

Quote from: bulldog1979 on June 29, 2017, 10:51:21 PM
Do you have to have the app actively open while driving or riding along a highway for it to pick up said highway? I ask because I left my phone awake (and plugged in) in the trunk of a motorcycle while riding tonight, but it didn't pick up US 141, perhaps because the phone went to sleep during the ride.

Yes, it currently needs to be open.  Working on allowing background mode for a future update.
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

hbelkins

Quote from: catsynth on June 30, 2017, 01:49:09 PM

Yes, it currently needs to be open.  Working on allowing background mode for a future update.

Then that (and a lack of cell signal in some places) is why the app missed a boatload of West Virginia state routes I was on today.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

catsynth

Quote from: hbelkins on June 30, 2017, 10:30:15 PM

Then that (and a lack of cell signal in some places) is why the app missed a boatload of West Virginia state routes I was on today.

Probably so.  Offline tracking is going to a feature for the next major release as well.  Sorry about the missed routes in WV.
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: catsynth on June 30, 2017, 10:32:33 PM

Probably so.  Offline tracking is going to a feature for the next major release as well.  Sorry about the missed routes in WV.
Would you consider doing a route "sweep", as in checking through the star data you have and go back and add the ones you've missed that haven't been reported, but without a total update?
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

catsynth

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on July 01, 2017, 01:21:08 AM
Quote from: catsynth on June 30, 2017, 10:32:33 PM

Would you consider doing a route "sweep", as in checking through the star data you have and go back and add the ones you've missed that haven't been reported, but without a total update?

I am not sure I completely understand.  Can you clarify what data you are referring to?
Thanks
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

JJBers

*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

catsynth

Quote from: JJBers on July 01, 2017, 01:22:15 PM
Android version progress update?

Working on it right now, actually :D.  I hope to have an alpha version by next week.  Please let me know if you would be interested in testing.
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

JJBers

Quote from: catsynth on July 01, 2017, 01:53:42 PM

Working on it right now, actually :D.  I hope to have an alpha version by next week.  Please let me know if you would be interested in testing.
Sure! I'm already beta testing Google Maps, so I can easily handle another one
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

JJBers

Quote from: JJBers on July 01, 2017, 02:35:41 PM

Also I have a question, is there a possible way to make it so you can insert travel highways without having the app to ping it, I already have a lot of traveled highways that I'll probably never travel again, so I was wondering if I could insert them to the profile, or not.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

catsynth

Quote from: JJBers on July 04, 2017, 11:35:00 PM

Also I have a question, is there a possible way to make it so you can insert travel highways without having the app to ping it, I already have a lot of traveled highways that I'll probably never travel again, so I was wondering if I could insert them to the profile, or not.

That is indeed an interesting question!  There is no initial support for manual entry, but I'm thinking about how we might add that as part of the future Travel Mapping update...

Meanwhile, the Android version should be ready for initial beta testing by Monday.  I'll probably start a separate thread for Android-specific issues and discussion.
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

JJBers

Quote from: catsynth on July 07, 2017, 05:32:44 PM
Quote from: JJBers on July 04, 2017, 11:35:00 PM

That is indeed an interesting question!  There is no initial support for manual entry, but I'm thinking about how we might add that as part of the future Travel Mapping update...

Meanwhile, the Android version should be ready for initial beta testing by Monday.  I'll probably start a separate thread for Android-specific issues and discussion.
Is this going to be open or closed beta testing?
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

catsynth

Sort of in between.  Anyone in US + Canada welcome, but I need an email address for each tester to use with the Fabric.io Beta software that I use.

I'm actually ready to start distributing an initial build - main features in place, lots of ancillary features and formatting still in progress.  If you PM me an email address you receive on your Android device, can send out a link to download soon :)
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Great Lakes Roads

So, last week I went up to Minnesota for a mission trip up in Red Lake... I have a few things that you should probably fix on my list...

Missing shields- it appeared on my list, but does not show the shield itself (probably a glitch on my part):
US Highways: 14, 169, 2, 53, 61, 71 (all of those happened in Minnesota), 51 in Illinois
Wisconsin State Highway 26
Interstate 94 in Wisconsin

Just in case if you're wondering which roads I am missing, here it is... It's probably because either I wasn't paying attention or I had a weak signal or the app sometimes glitches out...
WI State Highway: 73, 58, 54, 95, 93, 169, 122
US Highway 151 in Wisconsin
US Highway 45 in Michigan
MN State Road: 200, 135, 61
MI State Road: 73, 183, 117, 93, 72, 61, 50, 78

If you can do that, that's great!! If not, then I will take a trip up there again someday...

JJBers

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on July 30, 2017, 02:46:01 PM
So, last week I went up to Minnesota for a mission trip up in Red Lake... I have a few things that you should probably fix on my list...

Missing shields- it appeared on my list, but does not show the shield itself (probably a glitch on my part):
US Highways: 14, 169, 2, 53, 61, 71 (all of those happened in Minnesota), 51 in Illinois
Wisconsin State Highway 26
Interstate 94 in Wisconsin

Just in case if you're wondering which roads I am missing, here it is... It's probably because either I wasn't paying attention or I had a weak signal or the app sometimes glitches out...
WI State Highway: 73, 58, 54, 95, 93, 169, 122
US Highway 151 in Wisconsin
US Highway 45 in Michigan
MN State Road: 200, 135, 61
MI State Road: 73, 183, 117, 93, 72, 61, 50, 78

If you can do that, that's great!! If not, then I will take a trip up there again someday...
I noticed a lot of TN/VA routes were missing, along with RI 78.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,

bulldog1979

So I tested something out that worked well to get around the issue of tracking highways when I'm on the motorcycle. (It's essentially impossible to use the phone itself while riding.) I set my phone so it would not auto lock plugged it into an external battery. Then I left the phone in the trunk of the bike with the app open. This worked to snag me US 141, M-38 and M-26, but something went amiss and it did not pick up M-64. If you're adding these manually for me, I also would need US 2, US 141, WIS 70 and WIS 101 in Wisconsin plus US 2 in Michigan from Thursday night's ride, and I'm still waiting to claim Bus. M-28.

catsynth

Hi all.  Thanks for the missing-route reports!  VA in particular is known to have quite a few gaps in our DB for some reason.
I will get to these and other "missing reports" soon, after I get the Android release out the door, hopefully next week :).

And yes, happy to credit the missing routes when reported...

-Amanda
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Great Lakes Roads

Took a trip out towards Ohio earlier this week... (Columbus and Dayton, Ohio to be exact)... Also took a trip out to Ball State on my way back from Dayton, OH...

Routes that I missed because of low signal in the area:

Ohio State Route 196
Ohio State Route 385
Ohio State Route 245
U.S. 42
Ohio State Route 710
Ohio State Route 726
U.S. Route 40 in Indiana
Indiana State Road 37
Indiana State Road 213
Indiana State Road 14

BTW, on the next update, you should make the list go in this order: Interstates on top, U.S. routes in the middle, and state roads on the bottom for each state... and also on the next update, make the list of numbers from smallest to biggest (i.e. SR 1, SR 2, etc.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.