News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Kentucky the only state with both a Bert and an Ernie as governor?

Started by bandit957, August 30, 2017, 09:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Bert and Ernie are a comedic duo of Muppets on the children's TV series 'Sesame Street'. You may have grown up watching these guys.

But is Kentucky the only state that has had both an Ernie and a Bert as governor? And they're from different political parties. Back in 1959, Kentucky elected Bert Combs (a Democrat) as governor. In 2003, the governorship was won by Ernie Fletcher (a Republican).

Kentucky is the Bluegrass State, but it might as well be the 'Sesame Street' State!
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

hbelkins

Bert T. Combs died when he drove while intoxicated into floodwaters in Powell County. His widow, who still lives in Powell County, is one of the nicest ladies you could ever hope to meet. She's very down-to-earth, and you would never know that she was the widow of a governor nor that she has been a very influential judge in Kentucky. Plus, she's an animal lover. I was already acquainted with her and then my wife met her at the veterinarian's office. When Sara Combs found out that she was married to me, and that she was such a big critter lover, they hit it off immediately.

Ernie Fletcher is the only governor whom I have personally known. He is a great guy.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

dvferyance

Quote from: bandit957 on August 30, 2017, 09:34:35 AM
Bert and Ernie are a comedic duo of Muppets on the children's TV series 'Sesame Street'. You may have grown up watching these guys.

But is Kentucky the only state that has had both an Ernie and a Bert as governor? And they're from different political parties. Back in 1959, Kentucky elected Bert Combs (a Democrat) as governor. In 2003, the governorship was won by Ernie Fletcher (a Republican).

Kentucky is the Bluegrass State, but it might as well be the 'Sesame Street' State!
Then why do you live there?

bandit957

Quote from: dvferyance on August 31, 2017, 02:06:00 PM

Then why do you live there?

Because 'Sesame Street' is cool.

dvferyance

In Wisconsin back in the 90's we had a head of the Department of Instruction named Burt Grover. We are the only state that elects that position as all other are appointed by the Governor.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: dvferyance on August 13, 2018, 10:41:32 PM
In Wisconsin back in the 90's we had a head of the Department of Instruction named Burt Grover. We are the only state that elects that position as all other are appointed by the Governor.

Indiana elects a Superintendent of Public Instruction.  Sounds like pretty much the same position.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Road Hog

Texas has had a Ma Ferguson and a Pa Ferguson as governor.

Also has had governors with Coke as a first name (Coke R. Stevenson) and last name (Richard Coke). In their honor, every soft drink in Texas is called a Coke.

hbelkins

Quote from: dvferyance on August 13, 2018, 10:41:32 PM

Kentucky used to elect its superintendent of public instruction until the position was abolished after the 1990 state education reform act. The education commissioner is selected by the state board of education, whose members are appointed by the governor, but the commissioner him- or herself is selected independent of politics.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SectorZ

While Massachusetts never had that duo, we did have an 'Increase' as an early governor. That name is likely quite extinct.

inkyatari

I saw an image of a ballot from Florida once in which Ron Howard and Charles Bronson were running for office.

Can't find it, sadly.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

bandit957

There was some town in Mississippi where a guy named Rick James ran for City Council. After he put a bunch of his campaign signs in his front yard, people kept driving past his house and yelling, "Super freak! Super freak!"

1995hoo

Jeff Johnson just won the Republican gubernatorial primary in Minnesota. I wonder whether he gets jokes about "the name you know"  (Eddie Murphy in The Distinguished Gentleman).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

abefroman329

Quote from: bandit957 on August 15, 2018, 09:57:09 AM
There was some town in Mississippi where a guy named Rick James ran for City Council. After he put a bunch of his campaign signs in his front yard, people kept driving past his house and yelling, "Super freak! Super freak!"
Well, that's certainly less rude than yelling "I'm Rick James, bitch!"

Takumi

The name of my local state senator (ie to the Virginia senate, not the US one) is Steve Martin.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cjk374

Quote from: Road Hog on August 14, 2018, 09:59:16 AM
Texas has had a Ma Ferguson and a Pa Ferguson as....

Too bad their last names weren't "Kettle". (Google if confused)
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

abefroman329

Quote from: cjk374 on August 15, 2018, 06:04:05 PM
Quote from: Road Hog on August 14, 2018, 09:59:16 AM
Texas has had a Ma Ferguson and a Pa Ferguson as....

Too bad their last names weren't "Kettle". (Google if confused)
Truth he told, I only know of them thanks to Art Fern's Tea Time Movies.

Big John

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

formulanone

Big John

CNGL-Leudimin

They are known as Epi and Blas to me, and up to date Kentucky has not had any governors with these names. So the thread title is wrong for me :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

inkyatari

Quote from: formulanone on August 15, 2018, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on August 15, 2018, 08:53:44 PM
Quote from: Big John on August 15, 2018, 07:25:24 PM
There was a senator from Illinois named Paul Simon

I called him Al.

...he needs a photo opportunity.
... he needs a shot at redemption, and I'm sure he doesn't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

abefroman329

sparker

Never thought of it before this thread, but........if CA would have elected Tom Bradley (erstwhile mayor of L.A. in the 70's & '80's; the International Terminal at LAX is named after him) governor (he seemed to run every 4 years during the time he was mayor), we would have had both a Tom & Jerry as governors.  Trivial but quasi-amusing!

Duke87

New York has never had either, but it has had a Grover (Grover Cleveland).

Now, what states can contribute Oscar or Elmo?

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.