News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-73 I-74 / US 121 interchange location?

Started by Interstate 69 Fan, October 24, 2017, 03:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate 69 Fan

I saw on Wikipedia on the US 121 article that a stack interchange between the two highways has been built, but alas, I cannot find it. Does anyone know the location of it, and the cords?

QuoteFrom Wikipedia: Construction started in 1999 with a three-level diamond interchange near Welch in western West Virginia. This will facilate traffic going between the King Coal Highway/Interstate 73/Interstate 74 and the Coalfields Expressway (US 121). Grading work was completed in 2003, but the interchange remains incomplete as of 2010.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Mapmikey

37.472692, -81.560260

It is directly behind the Federal Correction Institution at McDowell, north of Welch.  There is a long straightish ROW cleared.

Described here (under the year 2000):  http://transportation.wv.gov/highways/Highways-Projects/CoalfieldsExpressway/Pages/Chronology-of-the-Corridor.aspx

NE2

That's typical Wikipoo. I looked it up a while ago and this is not where the two highways will cross.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

Quote from: NE2 on October 24, 2017, 04:08:41 PM
That's typical Wikipoo. I looked it up a while ago and this is not where the two highways will cross.

Also, that will never be I-73 or I-74. If it's ever completed, it will be as US 52.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NE2

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2017, 10:50:14 AM
Quote from: NE2 on October 24, 2017, 04:08:41 PM

Also, that will never be I-73 or I-74. If it's ever completed, it will be as US 52.

It's the "I-73/74 North-South Corridor". So it may not be correct to call it "I-73 I-74", but "I-73/74" is valid.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

froggie

It's also not correct to call it a "stack interchange" as the OP claimed, as the ramp movements will not be free-flow.

The actual interchange location, based on maps I found a decade or so ago, will be north of that Federal Prison...roughly due west of what the Goog labels "Indian Ridge" and a little east of "Edmore Rd".

hbelkins

Wasn't this supposed to be what Kurumi dubbed a "volleyball" interchange?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bitmapped

Quote from: hbelkins on October 25, 2017, 02:46:11 PM
Wasn't this supposed to be what Kurumi dubbed a "volleyball" interchange?

Yes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.