News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Monroe US 74 Bypass

Started by index, October 31, 2017, 10:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcarte29

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 09, 2018, 01:22:22 AM
I can only imagine during rush hour it actually is up to 20 or more minutes as NCDOT claims.

No doubt it would/could!!
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

ARMOURERERIC

I drove old 74 for the first time about a month ago to see the newest location of my company at Monroe Crossing.  It was a good 40 mins from 485 to the mall and it was a Sunday at 1 pm.

Mileage Mike

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on December 09, 2018, 01:18:42 PM
I drove old 74 for the first time about a month ago to see the newest location of my company at Monroe Crossing.  It was a good 40 mins from 485 to the mall and it was a Sunday at 1 pm.

I drove the bypass today from 485 to Marshville and got through in around 18 minutes. Drove back to 485 on the old US 74 and had a similar timing to yours of around 40 minutes.  Also on a Sunday afternoon.

sprjus4

Quote from: Cemajr on December 16, 2018, 09:59:28 PM

I drove the bypass today from 485 to Marshville and got through in around 18 minutes. Drove back to 485 on the old US 74 and had a similar timing to yours of around 40 minutes.  Also on a Sunday afternoon.
I guess even with light traffic, the combination of stopping every few minutes, going 35-45 MPH, etc. makes the drive slow. On the flip side, you can drive 65 (I imagine the average is closer to 70 MPH), and no stopping once. I wonder the AADT is on the bypass and on the old route. Guess we'll have to wait until next November to see after a year has passed.

sprjus4

Bumping the thread...

Looks like street view from December 2018 and February 2019 has been posted down there... They've gone on the frontage road and elevated section, but in both instances they've exited onto existing US-74. There's still currently no street view on any of the new terrain part.

They've also gone over the new freeway on cross roads, but again have not entered it.

For those who can't drive it because living 6 hours away, this is extremely annoying  :banghead: Would it kill them just to drive down it?

The Ghostbuster

There likely aren't plans for this, but would it be possible to connect the Monroe Bypass with the existing Rockingham Bypass, as a way of providing a seemless freeway/tollway connection? Or would such a fictional proposal be overkill?

oscar

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 06, 2019, 01:31:07 PM
There likely aren't plans for this, but would it be possible to connect the Monroe Bypass with the existing Rockingham Bypass, as a way of providing a seemless freeway/tollway connection? Or would such a fictional proposal be overkill?

Probably overkill. The Monroe bypass lets travelers avoid an awful mess in downtown Monroe. No such mess between Monroe and Rockingham, as far as I can tell. 
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

sprjus4

Quote from: oscar on May 06, 2019, 01:39:22 PM

Probably overkill. The Monroe bypass lets travelers avoid an awful mess in downtown Monroe. No such mess between Monroe and Rockingham, as far as I can tell.
Agreed, at least a full new location. This study was completed back in 2003 for the stretch between the (at the time proposed) Monroe Bypass and the Rockingham Bypass, and has a conceptual upgrade to the existing roadway with frontage roads, etc. The exceptions are bypasses of Marshville and Wadesboro. It's an interesting concept, and if this was indeed constructed, once the Shelby bypass is completed, there would be 210 miles of continuous freeway between Asheville and east of Rockingham. If you were to upgrade the 9 miles to the Laurinburg Bypass, that would expand that 210 miles of continuous freeway to 265 miles, and once the remaining interchanges are constructed near Whiteville and Bolton, 300 miles.

The study indicated that stretch would cost $300 million in 2003 dollars, likely around $800 million today using $25 million per mile average. If this was completed again, likely the 70 foot median on the new location would be reduced to 46 foot, as NCDOT hasn't really been building freeways with 70 foot medians for years. The upgrading existing portion was already 46 foot, and would likely remain that. The Monroe Expressway was built with a 46 foot median similarly.

jcarte29

Quote from: oscar on May 06, 2019, 01:39:22 PM

I would split the difference and just extend it to beyond Marshville. The way it bottle necks in to town now just seems to kill the momentum you have coming from the West. lol From E of Marshville to Rockingham is just fine, maybe improve shoulders or a "Super 2."

------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

sprjus4

Quote from: jcarte29 on May 06, 2019, 05:36:56 PM
I would split the difference and just extend it to beyond Marshville. The way it bottle necks in to town now just seems to kill the momentum you have coming from the West. lol From E of Marshville to Rockingham is just fine, maybe improve shoulders or a "Super 2."
Right now, the bypasses should be top priority. The rest should be upgraded in sections over time as needed. A seamless freeway is needed between Asheville / Charlotte and Wilmington in the long run. The 2018 Monroe Bypass in conjunction with I-485 constructed in the early 2000s has extended that freeway at least 50 miles in the past 20 years or so. Simply leaving an at-grade segment doesn't fulfill that. And I'd say no to a Super 2. Too much traffic issues would be developed if that was built. Roughly 16,000 - 17,000 people use US-74 daily, that many vehicles on a two-lane would choke it immediately.

ARMOURERERIC

Did not NCDot advance part of the Wadesboro bypass in the latest STIP.

sprjus4

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 06, 2019, 07:57:19 PM
Did not NCDot advance part of the Wadesboro bypass in the latest STIP.
Looks like it actually. Construction starts in 2026.

https://www.ncdot.gov/initiatives-policies/Transportation/stip/development/Documents/2020-2029-stip-changes.pdf#search=Wadesboro

That could change though. Nothing beyond 2023 is locked in. US-17 was slated to upgraded to interstate standards in 2027 between VA and Elizabeth City in the 2018 - 2027 STIP, though it wasn't locked in, and was removed in the most recent one. Same could happen to here, though I would hope not.

mvak36

This is just my opinion, but they need to upgrade the whole stretch of the road between Charlotte and Wilmington. Or, at the very least, make it four lanes all the way (I've never been on the road so I don't know how many lanes it has) so that it functions as an extra hurricane evacuation route (along with 40).
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Avalanchez71

Quote from: Cemajr on December 16, 2018, 09:59:28 PM

How about taking the 1950 alignment through town. How long would that take?

sprjus4

Quote from: mvak36 on May 06, 2019, 11:04:20 PM
This is just my opinion, but they need to upgrade the whole stretch of the road between Charlotte and Wilmington. Or, at the very least, make it four lanes all the way (I've never been on the road so I don't know how many lanes it has) so that it functions as an extra hurricane evacuation route (along with 40).
It's already all four-lanes now thanks to projects completed in the early 2000s near I-95 to bypass the last stretch of two-lane with a four-lane freeway.

Now, the rest of the non-limited-access four-lane needs to be upgraded to interstate standards.

jcarte29

Quote from: mvak36 on May 06, 2019, 11:04:20 PM

It is four lanes Charlotte to Wilmington
------------------

sprjus4

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 05, 2019, 04:32:51 PM
Bumping the thread...

Looks like street view from December 2018 and February 2019 has been posted down there... They've gone on the frontage road and elevated section, but in both instances they've exited onto existing US-74. There's still currently no street view on any of the new terrain part.

They've also gone over the new freeway on cross roads, but again have not entered it.

For those who can't drive it because living 6 hours away, this is extremely annoying  :banghead: Would it kill them just to drive down it?
Now March 2019 imagery, going down US-74, on the new elevated portion (as Dec 2018 and Feb 2019 did), then got off on the old route (US-74). Still avoiding that expressway like the plague.

Same on the south end. Going up US-74 northbound, then exit onto the old route (US-74).

They must hate that expressway or something, if I was driving the car, I'd be up it instantly.

Interestingly enough - they've gone under / over the expressway at every single cross road, with only two exceptions. Even the minor streets, February - March 2019 imagery. But absolutely none on the expressway itself.

sparker

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 26, 2019, 12:39:46 AM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 05, 2019, 04:32:51 PM
Bumping the thread...

Now March 2019 imagery, going down US-74, on the new elevated portion (as Dec 2018 and Feb 2019 did), then got off on the old route (US-74). Still avoiding that expressway like the plague.

Same on the south end. Going up US-74 northbound, then exit onto the old route (US-74).

They must hate that expressway or something, if I was driving the car, I'd be up it instantly.

Interestingly enough - they've gone under / over the expressway at every single cross road, with only two exceptions. Even the minor streets, February - March 2019 imagery. But absolutely none on the expressway itself.

Perhaps Google's just toll-averse -- possibly for some reason their camera-car drivers don't figure they'll be compensated for the tolls, so they just avoid the situation -- or something equally stupid.  Google should just call NDOT or the agency responsible for toll collection on that road, let them know about the camera-car working in that area, and arrange a "free run" for their vehicle over the new facility.  :rolleyes:     

Roadsguy

I can't think of any other remotely major toll roads in the U.S. without Street View, though they never seemed to do toll roads early on when Street View was new around 2007-2008. I remember being disappointed as a kid that Google's new Street View feature couldn't be used on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Avalanchez71

Google has to pay the tolls to use the system.  Hence no extensive mapping of tolled systems.

sparker

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 27, 2019, 07:28:10 PM
Google has to pay the tolls to use the system.  Hence no extensive mapping of tolled systems.

You'd think that a company with a sky-high market cap could simply pull tolls out of petty cash!  But maybe that's how the rich stay rich -- getting anal about such things!   :poke:

qguy

Quote from: sparker on May 28, 2019, 01:44:28 AM
But maybe that's how the rich become and stay rich -- getting anal about such things!

FTFY  :-D

sparker

Quote from: qguy on May 28, 2019, 06:13:41 AM
Quote from: sparker on May 28, 2019, 01:44:28 AM
But maybe that's how the rich become and stay rich -- getting anal about such things!

FTFY  :-D

Yeah -- Google's gotta keep their cash flow unimpeded in order to be able to lure $250K/yr. coders away from other tech firms! 

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

wriddle082

Had to run over to Stallings earlier this morning for a few minutes.  It looks like they still have a bit of work to do at the new 74 interchange with Stallings Rd, and they may have possibly forgotten about it.  Anybody knows if the contractor has a hard completion date for all of the remaining work, or the intersection "enhancements"  on regular 74 through Indian Trail?  It also looks like they could use one more finishing layer of asphalt on some portions of 74 itself through this area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.