News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Historic Route 80 Directions - Vicksburg to Tybee Island

Started by 707, December 10, 2017, 03:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all. It's been a very long time since my last post on the forum. This is also my first time posting on the Southeast board. Recently, I've been getting back into my Route 80 interest, as the final leg in my US 80 transcontinental trip with my Dad from San Diego to Tybee Island approaches. Though I've noticed there is a serious lack in historic driving directions for US 80. Given I have a two week deadline before the trip starts, I've gone ahead and pulled up old research along with studying any digitally scanned maps and references I could find of Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia to compile rudimentary directions for those wanting the true historic route experience.

I know an old acquaintance of mine, Jeff Jensen, had made US 80 his personal project. Jeff did painstaking research and wrote a detailed travel book highly acclaimed by Jim Ross of Route 66 fame detailing the entire route through California, Arizona and New Mexico. Over lunch one time he discussed making a second book from the research he'd compiled through Texas and Louisiana. He had provided detailed driving directions on his website which thankfully can still be accessed. I was anxiously anticipating the release of his second book. But about a year ago, he sent me one final email saying he was leaving town and would probably never speak to me again. I've occasionally sent an email once every few months to try and raise contact with him again, but he seems to have vanished. His website hasn't been updated in over a year either leading me to think he's abandoned his US 80 project. I'm glad his Texas and Louisiana directions remain for anyone wishing to do the route, but his absence left a huge gap in the route between Vicksburg, Mississippi and Tybee Island, Georgia which I have my doubts he'll ever complete.

Given that situation, I've decided to start compiling my own directions for this large final gap in the highway. It will take a number of years to go through as many records as I can from these three states, but given what limited resources I have within these two weeks, I'm putting together some very basic prototype directions for anyone that would like to do the route, just to hold everyone over until I can get a more proper set of directions completed. So far, I only have everything east bound wise. I'd like to apologize in advance if any of my directions are inaccurate or a bit strange. I had to mix together 1920s, 1930s and 1950s alignments together to make a sort of "Frankenstein Route". In the future, I hope I can offer people a choice as to what time period of the old highway they can take, but for now, this will have to do. So far, I have Mississippi completed with Alabama currently under way. Again, my apologies if the directions are a bit odd or off. These directions will also be subject to revision and modification, in order to give you guys something acceptable by highway lover standards.

MISSISSIPPI

Enter Mississippi from Louisiana on I-20. Immediately after crossing over, get off at Exit 1A and turn right on Warrenton Road.
Warrenton Road becomes Washington Street once you have crossed over I-20. Take Washington 2.8 miles north into downtown Vicksburg, then turn right onto Clay Street.

Clay Street will take you out of Vicksburg past the battlefield. Follow Clay Street/Old US 80 east for 16.6 miles through Bovina into Edwards.

In Edwards, veer left with the main arterial onto Magnolia Street/Mississippi Highway 467. Follow MS 467 out of town, but continue straight on Old Highway 80 where MS 467 goes onto the Interstate. From this point, US 80 is now the south frontage road of I-20.

Continue to follow Old Highway 80/South Frontage Road 17 miles to Clinton Raymond Road. Turn left and cross over I-20.

Just after crossing modern US 80 (don't turn onto it), the road will curve right. Turn right at the Y onto College Street into Clinton. In one mile, turn left onto Clinton Boulevard heading out of town.

In four miles, Clinton Boulevard will pass through an interchange with I-220 and US 49. Follow the signs for Capitol Street and continue east on Capitol for four miles into Jackson.

It's worth mentioning that you are driving on top of a giant prehistoric volcano form the Jurassic era. The Jackson Volcano lies several thousands of feet underneath the entire metropolitan area. 50 million years ago, the volcano was a tropical island above ground and it was similar to the volcanoes you would find on the Canary Islands. The Volcano's old summit now lies directly underneath the Jackson Coliseum. Don't worry. It hasn't erupted in 50 million years and has long since died. Jackson and Honolulu are the only capitol cities in the United States to be built on top of a volcano.

Capitol street ends at State Street right in front of the State Capitol. Turn right on State. A half a mile later, turn left onto Silas Brown Street, which will turn into Old Brandon Road, leading out of the city.

In 2 ½ miles, Old Brandon Road will parallel modern US 80 for a short distance, then curve hard to the right. Drive straight across US 80 and stay on Old Brandon Road through Pearl.

In 2 miles, turn left onto Pemberton Drive, then right onto modern US 80 then left again at the next unsigned traffic light and then immediately right onto Old Brandon Road.

Continue down Old Brandon road for 4.4 miles, then turn right on Crossgates Boulevard. Originally, US 80 would've continued diagonally and met up with the current route, but the old road has long since been razed in favor of a new upper middle class residential neighborhood.

Less than a half mile from the last turnoff, turn left on modern US 80. Continue down US 80 for 17.3 miles through Brandon and Pelahatchie, then turn left onto a rural road fittingly named Old US 80.

After 1.8 miles, turn left to stay on Old US 80 for 4.86 more miles, then turn right at the Y to cross the railroad tracks in Morton. Turn left on current US 80 for 0.3 miles then turn right onto 5th Street. The old route is signed as Mississippi 481 through town.

0.7 miles south of the last turn off in Morton, turn left at the Y onto Old Highway 80 East. Do not stay on MS 481.

After following Old Highway 80 East for 3.76 miles turn right onto current US 80 and head east for 24 ½ miles through Forest, Lake and Lawrence.

Yield right onto Church Street at the sign pointing towards Newton. Follow Church Street for 1 ½ miles into Newton, then turn left on Decatur Street.

Go north on Decatur for a half mile and turn right on Old Hickory Road. Follow that road until it ends at current US 80 and turn right, heading east through Hickory and Chunky.

In 15.7 miles from the last turn off near Newton, turn left onto Old Highway 80 West. Follow this older alignment until it runs out at current US 80 and turn left.

Follow US 80 until the intersection with I-20, then continue straight ahead onto Old Highway 80 West, not following the current US 80 onto I-20.

3 ½ miles east of I-20, turn right at the Y onto 5th Street into downtown Meridian.

Take 5th Street east for two miles, then turn left on Oakland Park Street/6th Street.

In less than half a mile, turn right on 23rd Avenue/Mississippi 493, then make a left on 4th Street in two blocks.

When 4th Street curves east and runs into the railroad, stay to the right and cross the tracks onto 11th Avenue.

Take the second left after crossing the tracks onto B Street. In a quarter mile, turn right onto Mill Street.

In three blocks, turn right onto 3rd Avenue, then take the first left onto Bonita Road. Follow Bonita Road out of town, until it dead ends at the west I-20/I-59 frontage road, then turn left.

Originally US 80 would have met at a different junction further east with US 11. However, upon construction of the interstate, the junction was demolished and US 11 was pushed west onto a diagonally aligned northwest/southeast route.

Continue straight ahead at the light onto current US 80 and US 11. Proceed to follow US 80 and US 11 through Russell and Toomsuba to the Alabama state line.

froggie

QuoteTake Warrenton Road 2.8 miles north into downtown Vicksburg, then turn right onto Clay Street.

Warrenton Rd becomes Washington St in Vicksburg proper.

QuoteContinue to follow Old Highway 80/South Frontage Road 17 miles to Clinton Raymond Road. Turn left and cross over I-20.

Just after crossing modern US 80 (don't turn onto it), the road will curve right. Turn right at the Y onto College Street into Clinton. In one mile, turn left onto Clinton Boulevard heading out of town.

If one is strictly following old 80, it's impossible to do seamlessly in the area around Natchez Trace Pkwy, in part because I-20 was built on top of 80 proper from around Norrel Rd (Exit 31) to just west of Clinton-Raymond Rd (Exit 35).

QuoteGo north on Decatur for a half mile and turn right on Old Hickory Road. Follow that road until it ends at current US 80 and turn right, heading east through Hickory and Chunky.

In 15.7 miles from the last turn off near Newton, turn left onto Old Highway 80 West. Follow this older alignment until it runs out at current US 80 and turn left.

Pretty sure you're missing Wilbur Rd, MS 503, and possibly Church St in/near Hickory.

There are also two segments of Old US 80 between Chunky and Lost Gap (I-20 Exit 129) instead of just one, both to the north of existing 80.  One begins just west of Meehan and runs a couple miles east.  The second is effectively a cul-de-sac (it's possible to drive a short stretch of it) and is not maintained west of this point.

Quoteollow US 80 until the intersection with I-20, then continue straight ahead onto Old Highway 80 West, not following the current US 80 onto I-20.

3 ½ miles east of I-20, turn right at the Y onto 5th Street into downtown Meridian.

Take 5th Street east for two miles, then turn left on Oakland Park Street/6th Street.

In less than half a mile, turn right on 23rd Avenue/Mississippi 493, then make a left on 4th Street in two blocks.

When 4th Street curves east and runs into the railroad, stay to the right and cross the tracks onto 11th Avenue.

Take the first left after crossing the tracks onto A Street. In a quarter mile, turn right onto 7th Avenue. Take the first left onto B Street and an immediate right onto Mill Street.

In three blocks, turn right onto 3rd Avenue, then take the first left onto Bonita Road. Follow Bonita Road out of town, until it dead ends at the west I-20/I-59 frontage road, then turn left.

A few things with the Meridian section:

- This is generally the pre-1950 routing (and I need to double-check my Meridian/Lauderdale County maps on this).

- MS 493 does not exist in downtown Meridian.  Its southern terminus is just south of North Hills St, a few miles to the north.

- I'm pretty sure what you have from B St to MS 39 is in error, but I need to double-check my maps.  Pretty sure 11/80 stayed on B St, which turns into Russell Dr and meets existing 11/80 on the east edge of town.

QuoteOriginally US 80 would have met at a different junction further east with US 11. However, upon construction of the interstate, the junction was demolished and US 11 was pushed west onto a diagonally aligned northwest/southeast route.

This I know to be in error.  What is effectively existing 11/80 from Lost Gap to east of Meridian was built in 1950, close to 2 decades before the Interstates came.  I-20/59 through Meridian was built on top of that 1950-era US 11/80.

US 11 also followed what is now the southern end of MS 19 between I-20/59 and 8th St.  11 and 80 were concurrent through most of Meridian.

I can most certainly agree I made a major error in the road history regarding US 11/US 80 being replaced around what is now I-59/I-20, but my route through downtown Meridian appears to be a genuine US 80 routing from 1927 as evidenced by this inset map provided by an online digital scanning of a Mississippi 1927 Mohawk Hobbs Automobile Blue Book.

http://www.historicalroadmaps.com/MississippiPage/1927ABBPage/image3.html

Further supported by a 1925 map of Meridian.

www.americanroads.us/citymaps/MeridianMS1925RM.png

It appears the Dixie Overland Highway took the same route, albeit down Front Street, though by 1927 when the highway became US 80, it was moved a block northwest onto 4th Street. Similarly, 1922 topographic maps show that Russel Drive didn't exist yet at the time and the main route would've taken present day Bonita Road to a now non-existent vertical road heading north, which was bulldozed at some point around 1980 or 1990 to make way for the Fairfield Inn and Suites as well as a small shopping center between current US 11/US 80 and I-20/I-59. My best guess is US 80 and US 11 were moved to Russel Drive and off 4th Street sometime between 1930 and 1940. But now that you mention it, 1927 era US 80/US 11 does appear to only take B Street from 11th once crossing the tracks from 4th. And thanks for the heads up on a non-existent MS 493 downtown.

I'll make sure to add the name change to Washington Street in Vicksburg. Must've overlooked it.

I know around the Natchez Trace Parkway it doesn't look like you can completely follow 80. A 1937 topographic map made by the USGS when lined up with modern streets suggested US 80 was at one point what became more or less the south Frontage Road west of the Parkway. At least that's what this program seems to suggest:
https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer

Though if NETR is wrong, please let me know and I'll immediately ammend that section to take travelers down I-20 instead.

And as for Hickory, I've had trouble with this one. I can definitely see Wilbur Road and possibly College/Church being a 1930s 80, but when I looked at a 1930 Map of Mississippi, it oddly showed US 80 going south of the then Illinois Central right of way which made no sense. Due to lack of good historic maps, I put these directions to just follow US 80 though its modern route in Hickory. I'll go through my sources and try to find a map to confirm that route.

In any event, I'll make sure to do some corrections right away. Thank you very much for your revisions.

Mapmikey

This map shows how US 80 would've been routed south of the railroad in Hickory - https://catalog.archives.gov/id/20739847

Official maps through 1933 show a southern dip in the route between Hickory and Chunky, with the 1934 official showing it straight (and for the first time paved)
http://mdot.ms.gov/documents/planning/index.php?dir=Maps/State%20Highway%20Maps%20Archive

This 1927 Gen Draft map of Mississippi clearly shows the dip below the railroad as does the 1930 USDA map; the 1933 USDA map shows it straightened out
http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/historicalmaps/us_states/mississippi/index2_1926-1940.htm

froggie

The route as shown through Meridian may have been the case in 1927, but there was another intermediate routing that existed by 1948 (confirmed on the 1948 state map), and likely existed before then given Depression-era projects.  This routing followed Old Hwy 80 to 8th St, then 8th St (with US 11 joining at today's MS 19/8th St intersection) to 6th St to 19th Ave to 4th St to 11th Ave to B St and out of town on Russell Dr.  It should be noted that the 1954 and 1965 topographic maps missed this.

Quote1922 topographic maps show that Russel Drive didn't exist yet at the time and the main route would've taken present day Bonita Road to a now non-existent vertical road heading north, which was bulldozed at some point around 1980 or 1990 to make way for the Fairfield Inn and Suites as well as a small shopping center between current US 11/US 80 and I-20/I-59.

The intersection where that north south road met Bonita Dr was approximately where today's loop ramp from eastbound 20/59 to northbound 39 begins.

Behind Applebee's and Logans was also taken out by Interstate construction.

Another part of that north-south road was gone by 1970, where the Drury Inn is today (though the Drury Inn building is much newer).

Part of the road exists today as a driveway behind the Super 8.

Very true. If I recall wasn't the north south road called Arundel Road? Please correct me if I'm wrong. In any event, I recently purchased a 1936 Mississippi Map that should give the 30s era route through Meridian. Ill amend the directions to include that route which you also confirmed using a 1948 map ASAP.

I got the 1936 Gulf Oil Map of Mississippi. It shows US 11 and US 80 taking almost the same route, but for some reason, instead of using 22nd to get to 4th from 6th, they use 20th?  :hmmm: Either way, it does show Russel drive and no indication either route went anywhere near Bonita Road by that point. At the same time, it shows either US 11 or MS 19 taking 8th to 26th to B. Very strange, but I'm going to guess the 20th Avenue change in routing was a mistake and that both US 11 and US 80 continued to use 22nd Street to shift from 6th to 4th.

froggie

^ As I mentioned above, the 1948 map shows 11/80 using 19th Ave between 6th St and 4th St, not 20th (which doesn't exist south of 5th), so I wouldn't consider that a mistake.

MS 19 used Bonita Dr to the east before its current routing was built.

Another thing to consider for those trying to follow these streets today:  both 4th St and 6th St are one way westbound in the Meridian core, and 22nd is one-way northbound north of Front St.  So your "eastbound" directions will not work on these streets.

brownpelican

That's the OLD State Capital Museum at Capital and State streets, not the current state capital building.

cjk374

The stretch of old 80 through Vicksburg is actually well signed except for the turn from Washington St. to Clay St.

SAM_1673 by Jess Kilgore, on Flickr

The road is signed as US 80 (and now concurrently with MS 822 for some weird reason) from the SR 27 JCT to Bovina. Be sure to gawk at the erroneous SR 80 shield that MDOT erected at Bovina.

Past Bovina...no more signs for US 80 at all until Jackson.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Thanks for the input and interesting facts everyone. I appreciate it. I've spent the last several days reworking the directions and adding to them. Also, the directions have been switched from eastbound to westbound. I used OpenStreetMap along with Google Earth to confirm the route would work and did my best to stay true to original US 80 through Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia. Again this is still a draft. Please expect further changes and revisions.

GEORGIA
-   US 80 NOTE: US 80 once began at the intersection of Butler Avenue and 19th Avenue. You can start there too if you want, but start counting the miles to the first turn off at the intersection of Butler and Inlet.
-   Begin at the intersection of Butler and Inlet Avenues in Tybee Island.
-   Continue straight on US 80 for 9 ½ miles, then turn left onto Johnny Mercer Boulevard.
-   Continue on Johnny Mercer for 4.8 Miles, then turn left onto US 80.
-   Take US 80 for 5 miles into Savannah, where it will become Victory Drive. In town, turn right onto Bull Street.
-   Almost a mile from Victory, Bull will end at Park Avenue. Turn right onto Park, then immediately left onto Drayton Street.
-   Take Drayton along the entire length of Forsyth Park. At Gaston, turn left, then make the next right onto Bull.
-   Follow Bull by jogging around the east sides of both Monterey Square and Madison Square.
-   Turn left at the first major intersection after passing around Madison Square onto Liberty Street.
-   ATTRACTION: Georgia State Railroad Museum and old Central of Georgia Roundhouse are on the left right after crossing Montgomery Street.
-   Follow Liberty, which becomes Louisville Road for 2.8 miles, then turn right onto Fair Street and cross the railroad tracks.
-   At the third intersection after crossing the tracks, turn left onto Alfred Street.
-   In 0.6 miles, turn left onto US 80, then make an immediate right onto Junction Avenue right after crossing the railroad tracks again.
-   Where Junction ends, turn left onto Old Louisville Road.
-   US 80 NOTE:  Historic US 80 took Louisville Road straight out of Savannah. The old road was demolished in favor of modern US 80.
-   HISTORIC NOTE: From this point on until close to Macon, you are largely following the route General William Tecumseh Sherman took on his infamous March to the Sea, responsible for the destruction of many southern towns and cities, including Atlanta, Macon itself and the former Georgia capital of Milledgeville.
-   Follow Old Louisville Road for four miles, then turn right onto Louisville Road (Current US 80).
-   Continue straight on US 80 for 42.87 miles, then turn left on Savannah Avenue in Statesboro.
-   Savannah will merge into East Main Street in town. When reaching downtown, turn right onto North Main Street (US 301), crossing current US 80 in the process.
-   North of US 80, US 301 will head right at the intersection with Parrish Street. Do the opposite and turn left onto Parrish.
-   When Parrish ends at current US 80, turn right.
-   In 5.58 miles, turn left to stay on US 80.
-   Follow US 80 straight for 63.24 miles into East Dublin, then turn right to stay on US 80.
-   Continue straight on US 80 for 50 miles through East Dublin, Dublin, Dudley, Montrose, Allentown, Danville and Jeffersonville, then turn left to stay with US 80/Jeffersonville Road.
-   In 1.3 miles, turn right onto Jeffersonville Road.
-   Follow Jeffersonville Road for 1.23 miles, then merge onto Emery Highway (US 80).
-   Very shortly after turning right onto Emery Highway, make the first left onto Short Street, then turn right onto Main Street when Short Street ends.
-   When Main Street reaches the major intersection with Coliseum Drive (US 80), turn left.
-   Follow Coliseum Drive, which becomes Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard after crossing the river into Macon.
-   0.6 Miles from the last turn, turn right onto Mulberry Street. Follow Mulberry Street (which becomes Georgia Avenue) for one mile, then turn left onto College Street.
-   In 0.8 miles, turn right off College onto Coleman Avenue.
-   After crossing Adams Street, Coleman will curve left to become Montpelier Avenue and later Columbus Road.
-   Columbus Road will merge into Mercer University Drive (Georgia 74). In 2.2 miles, turn left off Mercer back onto Columbus Road.
-   Follow Columbus Road for 6.2 miles, then turn right onto US 80.
-   Follow US 80 west for 27 ½ miles, then turn left onto US 19 to stay with US 80.
-   In two miles, turn right to leave US 19 and continue west onto US 80 for 26.11 miles.
-   In 26.11 miles, turn left onto Magnolia Street, then turn right where Magnolia ends at Georgia 96. Georgia 96 will become US 80 again in less than a block.
-   Continue straight for 11.06 miles, then turn left onto Upatoi Lane.
-   In 2 ½ miles, Upatoi Lane will end at modern US 80. Turn left when it does, then make an immediate left at the next intersection onto Chattsworth Road.
-   Follow Chattsworth for 8.7 miles, then turn left onto Macon Road.
-   Follow Macon Road for 8.7 miles. During this time, Macon Road will become Wynnton Road, then 11th Street.
-   US 80 NOTE: Historic 80 would've continued taking 11th Street from 6th Avenue west to Veterans (formerly 4th Avenue), then would've taken a left down 14th Street and crossed the river into Alabama. Now days, 11th is inconveniently one way through downtown Columbus and the 14th Street bridge is pedestrian only.
-   In 8.7 miles, turn left onto 6th Avenue then right at the next intersection onto 10th Street.
-   In two blocks, turn right onto Veterans Parkway/US 27.
-   In 0.4 miles, turn left onto 14th Street, then in four blocks, turn left onto Broadway.
-   At the next intersection, turn right onto 13th Street and cross the river into Phenix City, Alabama.

ALABAMA
-   Cross the river from Georgia on the 13th Street bridge, then make the first right onto 3rd Avenue, then make the first left from 3rd onto 14th Street.
-   In several blocks, 14th Street will end at 13th Street. Turn right at the intersection to stay on 14th Street.
-   Continue straight for 28 miles. 14th Street will become Crawford Road and modern US 80.
-   In 28 miles, turn left onto Glassy Mill Road. Follow Glassy Mill Road which becomes Old Columbus Road and Main Street (US 29) for 13.4 miles. At US 80 in downtown Tuskegee, turn right, then immediately turn left onto Eastside Street. At the end of the town square, turn left onto Northside Street, then immediately right onto Main Street (Alabama 81).
-   In four blocks, turn left onto West Montgomery Road. Follow the road for 2.71 miles.
-   ATTRACTION: On the right side of the road will be the Tuskegee Institute famous for influential African American scholar Booker T. Washington, African American chemist George Washington Carver and the training ground for the World War II red tails squadron, AKA the Tuskegee Airmen.
-   In 2.71 miles, turn right onto US 80. Follow US 80 for 12.37 miles, then turn left and immediately right onto Old Federal Road.
-   Follow Old Federal Road for 2.53 miles through Shorter, then turn left back onto US 80.
-   In 6.67 miles, US 80 will join I-85. Keep straight ahead onto Alabama 126 for 5.23 more miles, then turn right onto Ryans Road and cross I-85.
-   Ryans Road will become Atlanta Highway and later Madison Avenue and Bibb Street into downtown Montgomery. Around 10 ½ miles from the last turn, turn left onto Commerce Street.
-   At the traffic circle, continue south onto Court Street for 1.76 miles, then turn right onto Fairview Avenue.
-   US 80 NOTES: Historic US 80 took Perry Street through town between Madison Avenue and Fairview Avenue. However, Perry is now one way in the opposing direction meaning the closest one can get to following the original route is by taking Court instead.
-   Continue straight on Fairview (which will change names to Mobile Highway when it curves south) for 4.7 miles, then turn right onto the US 80 entrance ramp.
-   Stay straight on US 80 (and later US 80 Business) for 44 miles eventually crossing the Edmund Pettus Bridge into downtown Selma.
-   HISTORICAL NOTE: This section of highway is extremely important in American History. It is the site of Martin Luther King Junior's organized march from Selma to the state capitol in Montgomery. The first march attempt was met with a bloody end on the aforementioned bridge by a group of thugs and the state guard on the bridge. Thankfully, the next two attempts went a little more peacefully.
-   44 miles from the last turn and little over a half mile after crossing the bridge, turn left onto J.L. Chestnut Junior Boulevard (which will become Old Canaba Road) and continue straight for 1.69 miles.
-   Turn right onto Old Marion Junction Road and follow it for 4.27 miles, then turn left onto current US 80.
-   Follow US 80 west for 2.16 miles, then turn right onto Dallas County Route 29.
-   Follow Dallas County 29 for 5.91 miles into Marion Junction, then turn left on Church.
-   Right after crossing the railroad tracks, turn right immediately onto Railroad Street.
-   CAUTION: The level crossings in Marion Junction do not appear to have crossing gates or warning lights. Take care and watch for trains.
-   About two blocks from the last turn, Railroad Street will curve south. Right at the curve, turn right to cross the tracks a second time, then immediately turn left onto Dallas County 25.
-   Follow Dallas County 25 for a half mile, and then turn left onto current US 80.
-   Continue west on US 80 for 19.3 miles turning left then immediately right onto Old US 80.
-   Follow Old US 80 for 3.22 miles, then turn right and immediately left back onto current US 80.
-   In 3.63 miles, turn onto an un-named stretch of old US 80, which will become County Route 12. Follow this road for two miles, turn left, then immediately right onto current US 80.
-   Head west on US 80 through Demopolis for 21.8 miles, then turn right onto Alabama 28.
-   US 80 NOTE: Historic 80 for many years crossed the Tombigbee River south of its current route on the Steel Truss "Rooster Bridge" , named for a fundraising event involving the sale of imported European Roosters by well-known politicians including President Woodrow Wilson back in 1918. The sale was organized by locals in Demopolis to fund the construction of the bridge, which was considered the last major obstacle on the Dixie Overland Highway between San Diego, California and Savannah, Georgia. The bridge was bypassed in 1978 and unfortunately demolished in 1980. Only the old road and two very short approach spans remain.
-   Follow Alabama 28 for 12.2 miles into Livingston, then turn left onto Lafayette Street (US 11). Continue straight on US 11 (which will later be joined by current US 80) through York and Cuba to the Mississippi State Line.
MISSISSIPPI
-   Coming in west on US 11/US 80 from the Alabama state line passing through Toomsuba. The next turn will be 17.2 miles west of the state line.
-   At the light with Mississippi 39, continue straight ahead, then immediately turn right onto Bonita Road.
-   US 80 NOTE: When discussed with members on the AARoads Forum, this route was seen as controversial at best, mainly because it was unfamiliar to many. Bonita Road in fact is the earliest known routing of US 80, used long before the B Street extension and Russel Drive existed.
-   US 80 NOTE (Continued): Much of the pre-1930s route of US 80 and US 11 from Bonita Road to Russel Drive was demolished at some point after 1950. Most of the old road can still be seen as an alleyway behind a few businesses along current US 11/US 80.
-   Bonita will end at 3rd Avenue. Turn right, then immediately left onto Mill Street.
-   When Mill Street ends at B Street, turn left. In four blocks, turn right onto 11th Avenue.
-   After crossing the old Illinois Central tracks, turn left onto 4th Street.
-   Nine intersections west of the last turn, turn right onto 22nd Street, then turn left two blocks north onto 6th Street.
-   When 6th ends at 5th Street, turn right. 7 intersections west of 22nd, turn right at the Y to stay on 5th Street. At the second Y with Pacific, keep left.
-   5th Street will end at Old Highway 80 West. Turn left on Old 80 (which will become current US 80 again after crossing I-20) and continue straight for 4.01 miles.
-   After 4.01 miles, turn right, then immediately left onto Old Highway 80.
-   In 1.6 miles, this stretch will end at current US 80. Turn right, then after 0.33 miles, turn right onto Old Highway 80 again.
-   In 3 miles at the end of the second stretch, turn right onto current US 80 and follow it for 15.73 miles.
-   Turn left on Old Hickory Road. When Old Hickory Road ends at Decatur Street in Newton, turn left.
-   Decatur will end at Church Street. Turn right onto Church.
-   In 1 ½ miles, turn right at the Y, then left at the second Y onto current US 80.
-   Head west on US 80 for 24 ½ miles through Forest, then turn left onto Old Highway 80 East.
-   In 3.76 miles, turn right onto 5th Street (Mississippi 481) and head north for 0.7 miles into Morton.
-   Turn left onto US 80. In 5 blocks, turn right onto C Street and cross the railroad tracks and turn left.
-   About two blocks west, turn left at the Y onto Old US 80.
-   When the road ends, turn right to stay on Old US 80. When this road ends at current US 80, turn right.
-   Continue west for 17.3 miles, then turn right onto Crossgates Boulevard. In less than a half mile, turn left onto Old Brandon Road.
-   US 80 NOTE: Historic US 80 would've gone on a straight diagonal path from the current 80 to meet up with Old Brandon Road back in 1926. However, the old road has been razed and replaced with what appears to be an upper middle class development. Because of this, Crossgates is the closest one can get to following this older route and avoid the bustling newer highway.
-   After heading west for 4.4 miles, take a left then immediate right back on to US 80.
-   At the next traffic light, turn left onto Pemberton Drive, then take the first right onto Old Brandon Road.
-   Continue straight on Old Brandon Road for 4 ½ miles, which will become Silas Brown Street in Jackson.
-   At State Street, turn right. Several blocks north in front of the former State Capitol (now a museum), turn left onto Capitol Street.
-   HISTORIC NOTE A: It's interesting that Jackson has two capitol buildings. The Original Capitol is far less ornate than the current one, but as one would expect from Mississippi, the Confederate flag is still flown on the grounds of both the old and new capitols. (I'd like to thank AARoads user brownpelican for clarifying what I originally assumed was the current state capitol is in fact the old decommissioned one. Pretty much underlines I'm an out of towner from Arizona unfamiliar with the region. Oops!)
-   HISTORIC NOTE B: Alright, I'll admit it, this is a PREHISTORIC note. The entire Jackson metro area sits atop an ancient stratovolcano buried deep underground. The summit of the 50 million year old monster is fittingly located directly underneath the Mississippi Coliseum. The Jackson Volcano is one of three extinct stratovolcanoes in a long extinct volcanic hotspot arc in Mississippi. The second volcano called Midnight sits directly underneath the Mississippi River to the northwest and third a few miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico.
-   Capitol Street will become Clinton Boulevard, continue west until the road ends at College Street then turn right.
-   Follow College through Clinton. It will become Madison Street and head south towards I-20. When you reach I-20 get on the westbound entrance ramp.
-   Get off I-20 at Exit 31, turn left onto St. Thomas Parkway, cross over the Interstate, then turn right onto Old Highway 80 (the south frontage road).
-   US 80 NOTE: USGS Topographic Maps show the old US 80 route switched between the north and south frontage road between Clinton and Exit 31, but the road has been cut off, razed and rebuilt to the point where the closest surviving road to the 1930s route is the South Frontage Road. Due to massive confusion on the route in this area, it's best just to take I-20 which was the 1950s US 80. (This part of the directions was suggested by AARoads user froggie, who pointed out the route continuity issue.)
-   Continue west for 30.37 miles through Edwards and Bovina into Vicksburg, where Old Highway 80 becomes Clay Street.
-   ATTRACTION: Clay Street passes through the Vicksburg Battlefield, a major Civil War battle site and home of the USS Cairo ironclad wreck. Definitely worth the visit!
-      US 80 NOTE: The old route through Vicksburg is fairly well marked down as Historic US 80. (Thanks to AARoads user cjk374 and Robert Droz for pointing this out!)
-   At Washington Street, turn left. Take Washington to the junction with I-20. At I-20 take the westbound entrance ramp and take the Interstate across the Mississippi River into Louisiana.
-   US 80 NOTE: To the right of I-20 is the black painted steel truss Old Vicksburg Bridge, which carried the Illinois Central Railroad and US 80 into Vicksburg from Louisiana. The road deck was open until 1997, when the bridge was permanently shut down to auto traffic due to safety and structural concerns. While the Kansas City Southern Railroad continues to use the bridge, the old highway portion is only occasionally open to pedestrian traffic. The future of the bridge is uncertain, but it does not appear that it will ever be used for car traffic again.

Mapmikey

US71

Quote from: cjk374 on December 14, 2017, 06:23:52 AM
The stretch of old 80 through Vicksburg is actually well signed except for the turn from Washington St. to Clay St.

The road is signed as US 80 (and now concurrently with MS 822 for some weird reason) from the SR 27 JCT to Bovina. Be sure to gawk at the erroneous SR 80 shield that MDOT erected at Bovina.

Actually 80 goes solo at Clinton.  I think College St may be old US 80. There's a spot near where College comes out at the Frontage Road that looks like it may have been old 80 before I-20 cut it off.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cjk374

Quote from: US71 on January 07, 2018, 12:24:14 AM

Actually 80 goes solo at Clinton.  I think College St may be old US 80. There's a spot near where College comes out at the Frontage Road that looks like it may have been old 80 before I-20 cut it off.

I guess I counted Clinton as part of Jackson. But you are right...I always looked at E. College St. where it meets 80 near the Dairy Queen and thought that it looked like the original concrete slab that 80 would have traversed back in the day. Looking at it on the Google maps convinces me even more.

Quote from: cjk374 on January 07, 2018, 10:01:20 AM
Quote from: US71 on January 07, 2018, 12:24:14 AM

I guess I counted Clinton as part of Jackson. But you are right...I always looked at E. College St. where it meets 80 near the Dairy Queen and thought that it looked like the original concrete slab that 80 would have traversed back in the day. Looking at it on the Google maps convinces me even more.

You're both right. The 1950 Census Enumeration District Map of Hinds County shows US 80 going down College Street. It seems as though some point likely after 1960 the road was shifted away from downtown Clinton. A 1932 USGS topographic map of Clinton overlaid with TIGER data even confirms this.

cjk374

I have a question: when you did your trip, did you drive both old and current routes or just the old routes?

jasonh300

This is interesting information. Last year, we drove the current alignment of US-80 from Jackson, MS to Marshall, TX for a YouTube video series. While I was looking at old maps, I noted the old alignments, and have always wanted to go back up there and try to follow as much of the old route as I could.

Mississippi seems to have made every attempt to erase US-80 from existence in certain parts, with the long stretch of I-20/US-80 concurrency between Clinton and the Louisiana state line not even signed US-80.

I may make another attempt now that I've seen this. Did you do any road cam or any other type of video on your trip?

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.