News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Portland Bridge crash

Started by bing101, January 06, 2018, 12:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

http://koin.com/2018/01/05/are-bridge-guard-rails-strong-enough-to-stop-cars/

This came up after an accident where a car hit the railing and fell off the bridge. This comes into question if the railing can stop a car.

vdeane

This is why NYSDOT calls it "guiderail", not "guardrail".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

qguy

Quote from: vdeane on January 06, 2018, 06:28:44 PM
This is why NYSDOT calls it "guiderail", not "guardrail".

PennDOT does the same thing for essentially reason.

bing101

Also in the segment they mention that the design of these side rails was made as far back as the 1920's to 1930's according to the Oregon report.

roadfro

Note the rails of this bridge and several others discussed in the segment aren't "guiderail" or "guardrail" as used in today's highway parlance, but rather just decorative railings.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: roadfro on January 07, 2018, 12:25:49 PM
Note the rails of this bridge and several others discussed in the segment aren't "guiderail" or "guardrail" as used in today's highway parlance, but rather just decorative railings.
Sounds about right with this city.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

sparker

The article in the OP mentioned the Burnside Bridge as one of the bridges with the oldest -- and cited as primarily decorative -- side railings.  I know that the bridge, as well as Burnside Avenue itself along with east Sandy Blvd. lost its Business US 30 signage back in the late '90's; my question is was just the signage removed or was the entire former Biz 30 route relinquished to city control? -- i.e., who owns/operates the bridge itself -- ODOT, the City of Portland, or the Port of Portland?   

Bickendan

Quote from: sparker on January 14, 2018, 04:52:08 AM
The article in the OP mentioned the Burnside Bridge as one of the bridges with the oldest -- and cited as primarily decorative -- side railings.  I know that the bridge, as well as Burnside Avenue itself along with east Sandy Blvd. lost its Business US 30 signage back in the late '90's; my question is was just the signage removed or was the entire former Biz 30 route relinquished to city control? -- i.e., who owns/operates the bridge itself -- ODOT, the City of Portland, or the Port of Portland?   
Multnomah County

Ace10

Quote from: Bickendan on January 14, 2018, 10:59:52 PM
Multnomah County

The bridge has signs posted that read "Built and Maintained by Multnomah County".

Here's a link to a page with more information on the bridge:

https://multco.us/bridges/burnside-bridge

sparker

Quote from: Ace10 on January 16, 2018, 02:01:16 AM
Quote from: Bickendan on January 14, 2018, 10:59:52 PM
Multnomah County

The bridge has signs posted that read "Built and Maintained by Multnomah County".

Here's a link to a page with more information on the bridge:

https://multco.us/bridges/burnside-bridge

OK -- it was clearly built by Multnomah County 92 years ago -- and is currently maintained by that same county, with signage indicating this -- but did ODOT assume maintenance for the duration of the state-maintained US 30/Business US 30 utilization of the bridge?  Just curious!

sp_redelectric

was just the signage removed or was the entire former Biz 30 route relinquished to city control? -- i.e., who owns/operates the bridge itself -- ODOT, the City of Portland, or the Port of Portland?

Business Route 30 was decommissioned, and Sandy Boulevard was relinquished to the City of Portland.

I believe that the route through downtown Portland had been relinquished previously and that Business Route 30 had effectively ended at Oregon 99E (Grand Avenue/M.L.K. Avenue). 

As far as I know, the Burnside Bridge was always a county bridge.  The St. Johns and Burnside Bridges were actually built by Multnomah County and maintained by the County until the 1970s when ODOT took over responsibility for those two bridges.  Interestingly, ODOT continues to maintain jurisdiction on the upper deck of the Steel Bridge (because of a lease with Union Pacific), even though the City has apparently taken over the approaches on either side of the bridge...

Sub-Urbanite

Portland bridge ownership, N-S:

St. Johns: ODOT
Fremont: ODOT
Broadway: Multnomah County
Steel: Union Pacific
Burnside: Multnomah County
Morrison: Multnomah County
Hawthorne: Multnomah County
Marquam: ODOT
Tilikum: TriMet
Ross Island: ODOT
Sellwood: Multnomah County
Abernethy: ODOT
Arch: ODOT

Bickendan

Sauvie Island: Multnomah County
Boone: ODOT
Interstate: ODOT/WSDOT
Jackson: ODOT/WSDOT

Hurricane Rex

If anyone cares: OR 219 bridge: ODOT
Canby ferry: Clackamas county

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.