News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

2018 Winter Olympics

Started by Buck87, February 05, 2018, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

english si

Quote from: roadguy2 on February 17, 2018, 06:04:38 PMActually, the ski racing events aren't really on snow. Those downhill courses are basically a sheet of ice.
OK, nominally on snow.
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2018, 11:02:45 PMI wish the Winter Olympics were on TV live. Nowadays, leaks ruin everything.
They aren't leaks - the information wasn't being kept secret - they are merely spoilers as others have been able to see it live as they live in countries without incompetent TV coverage.

Alps

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 18, 2018, 02:36:32 AM
Quote from: Alps on February 18, 2018, 01:38:17 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2018, 11:02:45 PM
I wish the Winter Olympics were on TV live. Nowadays, leaks ruin everything.
Yeah, I looked at tape from Friday overnight and it was all the same stuff we saw live on Friday night. Come on, I know there are ongoing events all during our wee hours of the AM, why can't you show those live even if no one's up to watch?

Are you at least able to stream them online through NBC.

As we speak at 2:30 AM Eastern, we have women's curling CAN vs SUI live. Men's Cross Country 4 x 10 km relay both on separate channels. When the curling match is over they will start men's hockey CZE vs SUI
I can only stream live if I have TV service, which really defeats the purpose of having content online.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 17, 2018, 11:07:05 PM
In other words, it's up for Los Angeles to save the Olympic movement again like they did in 1984.

They can have Hollywood CGI all the snow.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

MisterSG1

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 18, 2018, 04:38:56 PM
Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 17, 2018, 11:07:05 PM
In other words, it's up for Los Angeles to save the Olympic movement again like they did in 1984.

They can have Hollywood CGI all the snow.

I was referring to the 2028 summer games, that being said, a Winter Olympics with LA as the host city may be doable, I'm sure within an hour or two you can find a slope that's high enough for the Alpine Downhill event.

Speaking of which, I once hypothesized that a NYC winter games should do this exact structure. Have the indoor sports in NYC venues but have the outdoor events up in Lake Placid, this can be an excuse to widen both the Thruway and Northway the whole distance.

Buck87

US Men's Curling had a clutch win over Canada today, nice to see for John Shuster. Meanwhile the women's team took down China 10-3 in 8 ends. 

7/8

1995hoo

Quote from: Buck87 on February 19, 2018, 07:51:37 PM
US Men's Curling had a clutch win over Canada today, nice to see for John Shuster. Meanwhile the women's team took down China 10-3 in 8 ends. 

Shuster has taken a lot of shit from people (my iPad tried to change his name to "Shyster" after I typed it). Great to see him with that ecstatic reaction after the final stone.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MisterSG1

Quote from: 7/8 on February 19, 2018, 08:21:14 PM
Canada tied Germany for gold in men's two-man bobsleigh (what are the odds?)

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/kripps-kopacz-secure-man-bobsleigh-gold-for-canada.html

The same thing with Canada oddly enough happened in the exact same event in Nagano "˜98 but in that case, they tied for gold with an Italian bobsled team.

It was luck, Team Shuster wouldn't have a chance in hell at qualifying for the Brier if they could. Tell me if Team Shuster is playing in the semifinals a few days from now.

Buck87

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 19, 2018, 09:35:03 PM
US Men's Curling had a clutch win over Canada today, nice to see for John Shuster.

It was luck, Team Shuster wouldn't have a chance in hell at qualifying for the Brier if they could. Tell me if Team Shuster is playing in the semifinals a few days from now.

Um, ok? It was just a comment about the US getting a clutch win (it was the first of a stretch of 3 must win games), which was nice to see given Shuster's poor history in the Olympics and the shit he has taken for it (as 1995hoo pointed out.) I wasn't declaring them as worldbeaters or anything.

Alps

Quote from: Buck87 on February 19, 2018, 11:30:27 PM
US Men's Curling had a clutch win over Canada today, nice to see for John Shuster.

Um, ok? It was just a comment about the US getting a clutch win (it was the first of a stretch of 3 must win games), which was nice to see given Shuster's poor history in the Olympics and the shit he has taken for it (as 1995hoo pointed out.) I wasn't declaring them as worldbeaters or anything.
I think someone was a sore loser.

ET21

https://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/kripps-kopacz-secure-man-bobsleigh-gold-for-canada.html

The same thing with Canada oddly enough happened in the exact same event in Nagano "˜98 but in that case, they tied for gold with an Italian bobsled team.

It's curling..... don't need to be that sore about it
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 17, 2018, 11:02:45 PM
I wish the Winter Olympics were on TV live. Nowadays, leaks ruin everything.

They are live, but Korea is 14 hours ahead of EST, so 9am in Korea is 7pm in EST and 11pm in Korea is 9am EST so if you want to watch live you have to do it between 7 pm and 9 am.  Some of what airs in primetime is live but some of it is things that happened overnight while most people were sleeping but many still want to see.   

NBCSN runs live events most of the overnight hours and the NBC app has just about every event available to view live. 

It's about the best you can expect with a 14 hour time difference.  Really sucks that we get 3 straight Olympics in East Asia.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

7/8

Here's a funny Olympic story of an athlete who participated in the Women's Halfpipe:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/olympics/2018/02/20/how-an-american-skier-competed-for-hungary-at-the-olympics-despite-not-being-very-good.html

She went to enough events and consistently finished in the top 30 to gain sufficient points to reach the Olympics, despite never doing any tricks (just doing small hops on each side of the halfpipe) :-D

MisterSG1

Quote from: ET21 on February 20, 2018, 01:49:15 PM

It's curling..... don't need to be that sore about it

I'm not being sore, I'm just pointing out by this post (and probably by jingoistic NBC) that this was a fluke win and nothing more. This doesn't amount to some curling equivalent of the Miracle On Ice as it seems like the original post was saying.

If for whatever reason, Team Shuster does face the Canadian team in a tiebreaker or semi, and they lose, then I'll fully give Team Shuster credit.

Unlike Bob Costas of the NBC, I can lose gracefully....sigh Olympic nationalism, gotta love it, it's essentially the complete opposite of what the Olympics are supposedly about.

Buck87

Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 20, 2018, 06:49:29 PM
This doesn't amount to some curling equivalent of the Miracle On Ice as it seems like the original post was saying.

Miracle On Ice? You obviously read way more into that post than what was written.

Anyway, the US men's team defeated Switzerland Tuesday to stay alive, and needs a win Wednesday against Great Britain to get to a tiebreaker.

Meanwhile the US women's team lost Tuesday to the surprising South Korean team, and needs a win Wednesday over Sweden plus a Japanese loss to Switzerland to get to a tiebreaker.

7/8

I'm watching the Men's Snowboard Big Air qualifiers right now, and the CBC commentary with Chris Craig McMorris is hilarious. You can tell he's a snowboardsr just from the way he talks (I mean that in a good way :D). Here's just a few paraphrases I can remember:

"He stomped, stomped, stomped it"

"Boom, boom, boom, shots fired"

"He tried to push the envelope, and the envelope pushed back"

"They [the judges] would be psycho not to"

"I was going to say the definition of verb, but I couldn't remember what that is"

"The molasses was left outside, and slowed down" -> "I'm confused on the reference here"

"What footwear is most chosen by British snowboard teams? I would assume snowboard boots"

"Everyone is waiting for the wind. That could be a song, 'Waiting for the Wind' "

"I like both of them" -> "You're like a mom with twins"

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Buck87 on February 21, 2018, 12:03:15 AM
Quote from: MisterSG1 on February 20, 2018, 06:49:29 PM
This doesn't amount to some curling equivalent of the Miracle On Ice as it seems like the original post was saying.

Miracle On Ice? You obviously read way more into that post than what was written.

Anyway, the US men's team defeated Switzerland Tuesday to stay alive, and needs a win Wednesday against Great Britain to get to a tiebreaker.

Meanwhile the US women's team lost Tuesday to the surprising South Korean team, and needs a win Wednesday over Sweden plus a Japanese loss to Switzerland to get to a tiebreaker.

If you said from the beginning of the tournament that the US would win gold in men's curling, it would be a shock but not near the level of the Miracle on Ice.  However, given that the team was 2-4 with games remaining against Canada, Switzerland and Great Britain, at that moment you could say that winning gold was less likely than the 1980 hockey team.  Yet here they are, in the medal round, having to beat Canada again in order to play for gold.

Last 3 games for Shuster have been as close to perfect as I've ever seen.  Scored 2+ points 8 times while allowing it only twice.

Hurricane Rex

US vs Canada women hockey is on. Who will win?
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

7/8

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on February 21, 2018, 11:11:09 PM
US vs Canada women hockey is on. Who will win?

I wish I could watch it, but I need to get some sleep before skiing tomorrow. I guess I'll find out the results tomorrow morning.

davewiecking

I hate shootouts, but it seemed the USA women controlled the OT and deserved the Gold.

MisterSG1

Quote from: davewiecking on February 22, 2018, 02:17:03 AM
I hate shootouts, but it seemed the USA women controlled the OT and deserved the Gold.

I'll say that even speaking as a Canadian. And I congratulate the US Women's hockey team in the game.

This was the first Olympic game the Canadian Women lost since the gold medal game against the US back at Nagano "˜98.

english si

What's happened to Canadian curling? The men not in the final, and the women not even in the semis. Well, I guess they got gold in the mixed doubles, and can still get bronze with the men, but...

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: english si on February 22, 2018, 08:54:24 AM
What's happened to Canadian curling? The men not in the final, and the women not even in the semis. Well, I guess they got gold in the mixed doubles, and can still get bronze with the men, but...

US played a pretty damn near perfect game.  Canada made one mistake in the 8th that cost them.  Shuster has become superhuman since their 2-4 start.  Still, Sweden is scorching hot right now and it will be a tall order to beat them in the final. 

Buck87

That was a sweet looking goal by Lamoureaux to give the US women the lead in the shootout. Here's a nice view of it:
https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/966571968916058112

And it's awesome to see that Team Shuster got the win this morning. Looking forward to watching the replay of it this evening on CNBC. No matter what happens against Sweden on Saturday this will be the best finish in US curling history.

I'm also very happy for Jessica Diggins and Kikkan Randall, who became the first Americans to win gold in cross country skiing (and first American women to medal in that sport)

MisterSG1

Quote from: Buck87
And it's awesome to see that Team Shuster got the win this morning. Looking forward to watching the replay of it this evening on CNBC. No matter what happens against Sweden on Saturday this will be the best finish in US curling history.

Yeah, I take back what I said earlier. I give Team Shuster credit for that win. A real shocker, but they deserved to win. Perhaps the beauty of curling is that it's truly a merit based game, there is pretty much 0% influence from judges or referees.

Quote from: english si on February 22, 2018, 08:54:24 AM

I'd like to know myself, perhaps competitive curling around the world has gotten more internal? To be fair, most curling competitions seen on TV here like the Brier and Tournament of Hearts are domestic championships and thus I can't really judge how they perform against curling teams around the world.
fixed quote

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.