News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

American Truck Smimulator

Started by Interstate Trav, March 12, 2018, 02:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Interstate Trav

I was wondering if anyone has played this game, and there thoughts on how they depict highways.  So Far this Game has California Arizona Nevada and New Mexico.  I think they need to work on Los Angeles myself, they need to make the freeways wider and add more of the important freeways.  New Mexico seemed the most realistic.  I was wondered anyone else's thoughts and if anyone else would think making a game like this would be fun to do, and how important Freeway Signage accuracy is.

Also if i posted this in the wrong topic I apologize. 

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Interstate Trav on March 12, 2018, 02:53:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone has played this game, and there thoughts on how they depict highways.  So Far this Game has California Arizona Nevada and New Mexico.  I think they need to work on Los Angeles myself, they need to make the freeways wider and add more of the important freeways.  New Mexico seemed the most realistic.  I was wondered anyone else's thoughts and if anyone else would think making a game like this would be fun to do, and how important Freeway Signage accuracy is.

Also if i posted this in the wrong topic I apologize.
I watch Jeff Favignano -- one of the most consistant players of the game. I believe they have a on-ramp scaling issue they have yet to address.

I would suggest for future topics of this nature, address your main subject (Freeway Systems) within the title as much as possible. Not that you have done anything wrong. Just keep this in mind.

This would fit well in Off Topic.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

kwellada

I think Grand Theft Auto V nailed it insofar as capturing Los Angeles as well as a few other areas of the state, especially Salton Sea.  In fact, awhile back I was in that area taking photos of abandoned buildings and turned a corner that was almost identical to parts of that game.  It was very surreal, but I also appreciated the attention to detail that the game makers had.

Getting back to the subject at hand, Google Maps has apparently opened up aspects of their code to game developers to help build more realistic open worlds.
https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/14/google-maps-helps-developers-make-massive-real-world-games/

I'd seriously love a game that incorporates real roads as part of the gameplay.

hotdogPi

Quote from: kwellada on March 18, 2018, 01:41:44 PM
I'd seriously love a game that incorporates real roads as part of the gameplay.

One Minecraft server was the entirety of Denmark (most countries go above 192m elevation and therefore can't be put into Minecraft, but Denmark's highest point is lower if you exclude Greenland). However, Minecraft has no cars, so they're no faster than other places, only easier and more recognizable terrain.

The server was shut down due to vandalism by American players, but the world, as a singleplayer game, is probably available for downloading somewhere (assuming you already have a Minecraft account).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.