News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Seasonally closed numbered highways

Started by Beeper1, March 13, 2018, 06:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beeper1

Apologies if this already has a thread someplace, but I couldn't find one.

List of numbered state and US highways that have seasonal (usually winter) closures.

Starting in New England:

Maine-113 through Evans Notch
Vermont-58 through Hazens Notch
Vermont-108 through Smuggler's Notch

02 Park Ave

NY 218 in Orange County between West Point (USMA) and Cornwall on Hudson

This road is also known as Storm King Highway after the mountain to which it clings.
C-o-H

Max Rockatansky

CA 4, CA 120, CA 180, CA 270 and CA 89 all have areas in the Sierras which close for the winter. 

oscar

In Alaska, all of AK 5, most or all of AK 8, AK 10 (Cordova) east of the airport are all closed in the winter, or at least are unmaintained (including no snow removal until spring) and "travel not advised".
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kurumi

Connecticut has two routes with seasonal closures: CT 148 and CT 160. These are not snowbound mountain passes, but instead winter closures of the ferries on each route.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

gonealookin

Nevada has NV 231 in Elko County, leading out of Wells up to Angel Lake.

Max Rockatansky

AZ 67 closes in the winter time from US 89A south to the Grand Canyon National Park Boundary.

US 89

Utah has quite a few: UT 35, 39, 65, 92, 148, 150, 153, 190, and 224 all have high mountain sections that close in the winter. In addition, there are several other routes which are only plowed during daytime hours.

Big John

Quote from: kurumi on March 13, 2018, 08:35:04 PM
Connecticut has two routes with seasonal closures: CT 148 and CT 160. These are not snowbound mountain passes, but instead winter closures of the ferries on each route.
WI 113 and US 10 ferries closed in the winter.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 13, 2018, 10:07:16 PM
AZ 67 closes in the winter time from US 89A south to the Grand Canyon National Park Boundary.

That's the road to the North Rim, which itself closes for the winter.

As does AZ 473 (AZ 260 to Hawley Lake).  IIRC, AZ 373 to Greer also closes during the winter, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on March 13, 2018, 11:47:22 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 13, 2018, 10:07:16 PM

That's the road to the North Rim, which itself closes for the winter.

As does AZ 473 (AZ 260 to Hawley Lake).  IIRC, AZ 373 to Greer also closes during the winter, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

Apparently 373 stays open.  261, 273, and 366 are all showing winter closures presently.

http://www.az511.gov/traffic/index.jsp

TheHighwayMan3561

US 34 Trail Ridge Road
CO 82 over Independence Pass
Part of the US 212 Beartooth Highway
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 14, 2018, 07:03:36 AM
US 34 Trail Ridge Road
CO 82 over Independence Pass
Part of the US 212 Beartooth Highway

CO 5 also closes down during the the winter.  WA 20 usually closes in the Cascades but I'm to understand that there are some years the snow wasn't heavy enough to shut it down.

Bitmapped

West Virginia doesn't have any state-maintained roads that close seasonally, but WV 150 (the "parkway" section of the Highland Scenic Highway) isn't plowed in the winter. It's not closed, but there are very prominent signs warning that the road is subject to drifts and may be impassible during the winter. There are some rural county routes, particularly in the mountain counties, that are also not maintained in the winter.

WV has some US Forest Service-maintained roads that are gated closed during some parts of the year. Some are closed most of the year and only open during hunting season. Others, like FR 19 and FR 75 through Dolly Sods, are closed during winter months because of the weather.

jp the roadgeek

Lake Ontario State Parkway (NY Reference Route 947A)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

adventurernumber1

If I recall correctly, all of the US Highways (probably all of the roads in total, not limited to that) in most or all of Yellowstone National Park are closed during the winter months. I was surprised to find out this fact when I went to Wyoming at the very beginning of 2016, and regular motor vehicles could not drive into the park (since it was winter) - only snowmobiles (which is what I rode on through the park) and the sort. Unsurprisingly, the roads were heavily covered with snow, as were the surroundings (obviously). This is the most prominent example of this that stands out in my mind.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 14, 2018, 12:37:57 PM
If I recall correctly, all of the US Highways (probably all of the roads in total, not limited to that) in most or all of Yellowstone National Park are closed during the winter months. I was surprised to find out this fact when I went to Wyoming at the very beginning of 2016, and regular motor vehicles could not drive into the park (since it was winter) - only snowmobiles (which is what I rode on through the park) and the sort. Unsurprisingly, the roads were heavily covered with snow, as were the surroundings (obviously). This is the most prominent example of this that stands out in my mind.

There aren't any US Routes in Yellowstone, they all end at the park boundary.  There is no implied routing for through routes line US 20, 89, 191, and 287 within the park. 

GaryV

Portions of H-58 (a state-branded county road) in the MI UP is closed during the winter.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, M-185 is only open to motorized vehicles in the winter - snowmobiles, that is.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 14, 2018, 12:53:35 PM

There aren't any US Routes in Yellowstone, they all end at the park boundary.  There is no implied routing for through routes line US 20, 89, 191, and 287 within the park.

I actually did not know that. I knew that signage through the park for those US Routes was at least very poor and insufficient, but I did not realize that technically there aren't actually any US Highways in Yellowstone. I guess that makes for a huge gap in the US Highway System, then.  :biggrin:  :paranoid:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

US 89

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on March 14, 2018, 07:53:28 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 14, 2018, 12:53:35 PM

There aren’t any US Routes in Yellowstone, they all end at the park boundary.  There is no implied routing for through routes line US 20, 89, 191, and 287 within the park.

I actually did not know that. I knew that signage through the park for those US Routes was at least very poor and insufficient, but I did not realize that technically there aren't actually any US Highways in Yellowstone. I guess that makes for a huge gap in the US Highway System, then.  :biggrin:  :paranoid:

If you want to get even more technical, US 191 actually does enter Yellowstone, but it clips the northwestern corner and doesn't connect to anywhere else in the park.

Also, the roads from the north entrance south on 89 to Albright, east to Tower Jct, and northeast to 212 to Silver Gate, MT do remain open in winter, because that is the only road access to Silver Gate in winter. The pass east of Silver Gate on US 212 (the Beartooth Highway) closes in winter.

gonealookin

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 13, 2018, 07:44:43 PM
CA 4, CA 120, CA 180, CA 270 and CA 89 all have areas in the Sierras which close for the winter.

Here is the Caltrans list:  CA 4, CA 89, CA 108, CA 120, CA 158, CA 168, CA 203.  Not sure why they don't include CA 270 because it's certainly closed for extended periods.

Quote from: gonealookin on March 13, 2018, 09:15:27 PM

Clarifying my own entry above, that's the upper 4 miles or so of NV 231, which is a winter closure.  That stretch only serves some recreational facilities:  campgrounds, trailheads and the high-altitude lake at the end.  It's Nevada's only winter closure.  NV 431 from south Reno to Incline Village goes up to 8900 feet above the northeast corner of Lake Tahoe, but it's only closed for short periods for avalanche control.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: gonealookin on March 14, 2018, 09:37:51 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 13, 2018, 07:44:43 PM

Here is the Caltrans list:  CA 4, CA 89, CA 108, CA 120, CA 158, CA 168, CA 203.  Not sure why they don't include CA 270 because it's certainly closed for extended periods.

Quote from: gonealookin on March 13, 2018, 09:15:27 PM

Clarifying my own entry above, that's the upper 4 miles or so of NV 231, which is a winter closure.  That stretch only serves some recreational facilities:  campgrounds, trailheads and the high-altitude lake at the end.  It's Nevada's only winter closure.  NV 431 from south Reno to Incline Village goes up to 8900 feet above the northeast corner of Lake Tahoe, but it's only closed for short periods for avalanche control.

I forgot about the winter closure on most of CA 172 which technically is still in the Sierra Range, albeit the most northern extent. 

JasonOfORoads

OR-242 through McKenzie Pass is usually closed for about 8 months out of the year.
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.