Saturday October 27, 2018: Eastern Catskill Mountains Road Meet

Started by cl94, March 23, 2018, 11:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which dates work for the meet?

October 27 (Saturday)
6 (75%)
October 28 (Sunday)
4 (50%)
November 3 (Saturday, last day of Daylight Savings Time)
6 (75%)
November 4 (Sunday, first day after DST ends)
2 (25%)
November 10 (Saturday)
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

froggie

Put me down as a "maybe'.  I need to double-check some conference dates...I have at least 2 weekend conferences this fall.

cl94

Event is online. Still plenty of time and, being as I wouldn't be making a meal reservation until the day of, walk-ins are welcome.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

froggie

^ That's good, because I may well be a walk-in.  There's a meteorology conference that week in Stowe that I may be attending, and I don't remember if there were any related weekend events.

cl94

I plan to get an itinerary for this thing ready this weekend. Times will be finalized around Columbus Day weekend as I do a dry run of the meet. I know what'll be on the tour, but I need to confirm the parking situation at a couple stops.

This is going to be a pretty informal thing, but I plan to take full advantage of the software available to me and produce a set of ArcGIS maps to include in the handout. Mainly to identify parking locations and restrooms along the tour route.

I would highly recommend that anyone attending this get a free NYCDEP access permit online. Depending on parking and timing, we may stop at one of the Ashokan Reservoir bridges and they do ticket cars without access permits. Even if we don't, it'll allow you to check out the bridges on your own time.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

74/171FAN

Quote from: cl94 on September 21, 2018, 09:36:05 AM
This is going to be a pretty informal thing, but I plan to take full advantage of the software available to me and produce a set of ArcGIS maps to include in the handout. Mainly to identify parking locations and restrooms along the tour route.

I would highly recommend that anyone attending this get a free NYCDEP access permit online. Depending on parking and timing, we may stop at one of the Ashokan Reservoir bridges and they do ticket cars without access permits. Even if we don't, it'll allow you to check out the bridges on your own time.

Could you please post a hyperlink to the permit site please?
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cl94

vdeane

Looks like it would be possible to have a supply of guest permits on hand for people who aren't driving, if the stop ends up being included.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on September 21, 2018, 08:50:13 PM
Looks like it would be possible to have a supply of guest permits on hand for people who aren't driving, if the stop ends up being included.

Yes, it would, as long as each driver has a full pass so they have a tag for their car.

Alps

One of? I only see one...

cl94

Quote from: Alps on September 22, 2018, 01:44:22 AM

One of? I only see one...

The 28A bridge near Boiceville is technically on reservoir property. That might be the one to stop at because it's coming down in a couple years, but I need to scout it out.

cl94

cl94

I did some scouting yesterday and I have some updates on how this thing will proceed:

- As I mentioned earlier, I'm planning to do an optional pre-meet brunch with the main meal after the tour at 4-5 PM. I do NOT want to run out of daylight and the restaurants in Kingston that can handle a group are busiest at lunchtime on weekends.
- Brunch will be at Deising's Bakery (111 N. Front Street, Kingston, NY) at 9:30 AM. Again, this is fully optional. (Website: http://www.deisings.com/ ). If you don't want to get up that early, I'd suggest getting something to eat beforehand.
- I'm tentatively planning to have the main meal (post-tour) at the Olympic Diner just off of the circle, but being as I'm not going to make any calls before the meet (as most places in Kingston don't take reservations), we could theoretically decide what we're doing for dinner as we go. What we can do really depends on how many people end up showing up.
- We're adding a stop at the abandoned railroad tunnel under Delaware Avenue and abandoned railroad bridge over US 9W right next to the tunnel. We'd be driving through here anyway, so it's worth a stop.
- We may add a stop at the Rosendale Stewart's for snacks/restroom break. Depending on how people are feeling
- I'm taking off the stop at the reservoir bridges due to access issues. I'd rather not have NYPD crash my meet. This will be replaced with a stop at Olivebridge Dam to see the former road over the dam.
- This meet will involve a bit of walking. Likely 1.5 miles or so. Wear comfortable shoes that you don't mind getting dirty, as both the tunnel and Rosendale Trestle have unpaved access (though the trestle and access are part of a signed rail trail). Flashlights would be good if you want a closer look at the tunnel or you want to see inside/explore the caves/mines/kilns along the rail trail approaching the trestle.

At this point, I don't see a ton of changes other than maybe a couple route changes at the end based on construction progress and road closure status. I'll be back in the area before the meet to check on the closures in/around Kingston.

hbelkins

Wonder if these signs can still be found? On a side road just north of the US 9W/US 209 interchange.

As for this meet, no chance of me making it for a number of reasons.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: hbelkins on October 07, 2018, 02:55:08 PM
Wonder if these signs can still be found? On a side road just north of the US 9W/US 209 interchange.

As for this meet, no chance of me making it for a number of reasons.
That I haven't seen before. I'm more likely to stick around for the two added features.

EDIT: GSV confirms replacement, sadly.

cl94

One week out. Weather forecast is calling for around 50 and a small chance of showers in Kingston, but knowing how weather is in the Hudson Valley this time of year, nothing is certain. Expect 5-10 degrees colder in the later part of the tour when we're in Catskill Park. Three of the five planned stops are quite exposed and wind will be likely. and I'd recommend wearing clothes/shoes you don't mind getting dirty. Flashlights, etc. would be useful to see into the tunnel and caves.

The Hudson Valley SHOULD have peak foliage next weekend, which will be nice. Catskills peaked a while ago and, if it's clear enough, we'll likely see snow covering the high peaks. There's no real need to worry about hunters, as the rifle and shotgun seasons don't begin for another few weeks.

As I mentioned previously, the main meal will be AFTER the tour. The diner just off the circle is the tentative location, but we can change that based on what people want. It'll just flow. There are some great (but small) local places in Kingston that have more limited menus. I'm not making a reservation for any meals on meet day (mainly because few places in Kingston take them), so you could just show up to the meet without an RSVP.

I'd like a heads-up if you're planning on being in Kingston at 9:30 for the pre-meet brunch, but I don't need that until the day of. If you're not attending that, I'd suggest getting food beforehand at the QuickChek next to the park and ride or somewhere else (fast food row is on 9W south of 209). We'll likely stop at Stewart's around midway through the tour for snacks and a restroom break and, the last time it was there, it had some prepared food options.

CtrlAltDel

I will not be able to attend, but I did do go through everything on Google Maps, and it looks really interesting, especially the trestle.

I did notice (I think) a few mistakes in the document, though, both in Leg 4, that I thought I'd point out.

For step 1, it says continue east on NY 213. I think you want to continue west.
For step 4, it says to turn right into the gravel parking lot. I think you want to turn left.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jpi

Steph and I will thinking of you all this Saturday while we are celebrating our 17 year anniversary in the Smokey Mountains of east TN and western NC :biggrin:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

signalman

Quote from: jpi on October 21, 2018, 12:33:05 PM
Steph and I will thinking of you all this Saturday while we are celebrating our 17 year anniversary in the Smokey Mountains of east TN and western NC :biggrin:
Happy anniversary to you and Steph. While it's unfortunate that you can't make it, it's completely understandable. Hope you guys have a good time. Are you going to go to Lafayette?

kevinb1994

As we already went to the Aurora-Naperville Road Meet this past May, we will not be flying north again for this road meet. We actually now have a multi-family get-together barbecue this weekend at a Jacksonville Beach city park and playground. Hope to see some of y'all at the mini meet in February.

jpi

Quote from: signalman on October 21, 2018, 03:50:54 PM
Quote from: jpi on October 21, 2018, 12:33:05 PM
Happy anniversary to you and Steph. While it's unfortunate that you can't make it, it's completely understandable. Hope you guys have a good time. Are you going to go to Lafayette?
Unfortunetly I will not be going to Lafayette, I have a 2 day model train and toy show in the Pittsburgh area that I have commited to that same weekend, at this point I am probably done with road meets for the year, will wait and see what next year holds.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

vdeane

Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2018, 03:21:46 PM
I'd recommend wearing clothes/shoes you don't mind getting dirty.
Question: how dirty are we talking about here?  I'm planning on sneakers for this one rather than my usual boots or flats (not that it's warm enough for the latter any more), but I don't really have "mud shoes" (or pants, etc.).  Plus I don't want to track stuff into my car or apartment.

Unfortunately, it seems like the forecast has gotten worse with much more pervasive rain.  Why does it seem like Saturday is usually worse than Sunday around here?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on October 22, 2018, 12:49:24 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2018, 03:21:46 PM
I'd recommend wearing clothes/shoes you don't mind getting dirty.
Question: how dirty are we talking about here?  I'm planning on sneakers for this one rather than my usual boots or flats (not that it's warm enough for the latter any more), but I don't really have "mud shoes" (or pants, etc.).  Plus I don't want to track stuff into my car or apartment.

Unfortunately, it seems like the forecast has gotten worse with much more pervasive rain.  Why does it seem like Saturday is usually worse than Sunday around here?

As dirty as you're willing to make it. You can SEE everything without getting particularly dirty and I doubt there will be mud people will have to walk through. The trestle requires a 1/2 mile (round-trip) walk along a well-compacted gravel trail and the covered bridge may require walking on dirt if we can't get spots on the shoulder next to it (there's room for 3-4 cars if we park tightly). If you want to actually get in the tunnel, THAT may require walking through mud, but it is 100% optional. Heck, I'll likely skip that one if the mud is bad, as I'd prefer not to be covered in mud.

With the weather, I've learned to never count on anything this time of year. We could also have wildly different conditions in the part of the meet that's in the mountains. You never know. If temps get colder and ice becomes a concern, I WILL make some modifications to minimize travel on 28A, which NYCDOT does not salt. If there's heavy rain, we'll skip the tunnel and abandoned bridge over the 9W arterial (as the access to that, while not muddy in the showers I had when scouting, is dirt and could theoretically get muddy).

kalvado

vdeane

That's probably what I saw when I happened to check the weather a little while ago.

cl94

Yeah... I mean, we've had snow meets in the past. Delaware 2017 was the most recent one and I got to experience PennDOT's miserable salting/plowing when driving down. Unsurprisingly, roads were clear as soon as I hit the DE line.

Unless there's a decent amount of accumulation forecast (unlikely given temps), it's still on. They're currently saying it'll change to rain mid-morning and stay rain through the evening. The most likely change is a reroute near the end to avoid the worst parts of 28A, but unless temps fall another 5-10 degrees, that won't be necessary.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.