News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Notorious Interstate Gaps

Started by theroadwayone, April 11, 2018, 07:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

The CA-710 to I-710 gap in Pasadena to South Pasadena area. That's the longest roadgeek controversy in Los Angeles.

The Bay Area has the Southern Crossing gap from I-238 to I-380 from South San Francisco/San Bruno area to San Leandro area.

Beltway

Quote from: hbelkins on April 12, 2018, 10:33:07 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 12, 2018, 10:12:50 AM
Quote from: Eth on April 12, 2018, 08:35:06 AM
Quote from: Beltway on April 12, 2018, 06:30:07 AM
The last 0.5 mile of the highway that connects to I-80 is actually PA-26, not I-99.
Traveling northbound, there's an END I-99 assembly just before the first at-grade intersection. On this segment southbound, it's sometimes posted as TO I-99, but sometimes not.
Oh okay, I am an idiot then. I don't know how I didn't know that - especially since I had to look on GMSV and link to it to show that there were at-grade intersections. That is really strange. I wonder why I-99 wouldn't just continue that extra insignificant distance to reach Interstate 80 fully, and with a proper interchange. This probably makes this case a gap in the interstate system even more now that I know this very short section of road isn't even I-99 to begin with at all. To go from I-99 to I-80 or I-80 to I-99, you have to go on a surface street (PA 26). It is very weird indeed that they just stopped I-99 right there before it reaches I-80. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future.  :crazy:
There are plans in the works to convert the existing I-80/I-99 interchange into a full freeway-type interchange.

It is not part of the original Interstate system in any case.  The section over the mountain was completed in 2009.  So it is an Interstate corridor still in development.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

RobbieL2415

Allow me to interpret this a bit differently.

I believe that the biggest gap in the Interstate system is the US 7 corridor.  The original 1956 plan had one but it disappeared soon thereafter.

jemacedo9

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 12, 2018, 01:05:08 AM
I just remembered something that I often forget about. Google Maps' "brilliant" new color scheme is making it very hard to visually remind myself of it, but I believe that on the northern end of the current (existing/original) I-99, there is a beyond substandard part of the highway. This very, very short portion of I-99 has actual intersections with a few surface streets (so it is not technically a freeway at all right here). This is beyond substandard (such as not having enough lanes (like that portion of I-93 in NH) or having inadequate shoulder lengths) - it is flattout violating one of the fundamentals of the Interstate Highway System - being able to travel without facing at-grade intersections - similar to "I-180" being designated over that surface street in Cheyenne, Wyoming - so I would consider this case a gap in the interstate system. Heck, even the I-99/I-80 interchange itself looks very, very substandard. This whole northern terminus of Interstate 99 is just pretty messed up all over the place. 

The last 0.5 mile of the highway that connects to I-80 is actually PA-26, not I-99.

Traveling northbound, there's an END I-99 assembly just before the first at-grade intersection. On this segment southbound, it's sometimes posted as TO I-99, but sometimes not.

Oh okay, I am an idiot then. I don't know how I didn't know that - especially since I had to look on GMSV and link to it to show that there were at-grade intersections. That is really strange. I wonder why I-99 wouldn't just continue that extra insignificant distance to reach Interstate 80 fully, and with a proper interchange. This probably makes this case a gap in the interstate system even more now that I know this very short section of road isn't even I-99 to begin with at all. To go from I-99 to I-80 or I-80 to I-99, you have to go on a surface street (PA 26). It is very weird indeed that they just stopped I-99 right there before it reaches I-80. Hopefully this will be fixed in the future.  :crazy:

There are plans in the works to convert the existing I-80/I-99 interchange into a full freeway-type interchange.

ARE there plans?  There WERE plans, but there was a lot of opposition, and I don't think this is on PennDOTs 12-year plan...

I-99 doesn't technically connect to any interstate...not the north end, not the south end, and nothing in between.  Is there another interstate that can make that claim?

vdeane

I-74, since there's essentially 0 probability that the portion connecting the two sections will ever be built.

Quote from: jemacedo9 on April 12, 2018, 01:09:45 PM
I-99 doesn't technically connect to any interstate...not the north end, not the south end, and nothing in between.  Is there another interstate that can make that claim?
The PA section, anyways.  The NY section does connect to I-86.

I-585 doesn't connect to any other interstate.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MCRoads

Technically this isn't a "gap" , but I-40 through eastern NM has at grade crossings with lots of farm roads.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

kkt

Quote from: bing101 on April 12, 2018, 12:13:16 PM
The CA-710 to I-710 gap in Pasadena to South Pasadena area. That's the longest roadgeek controversy in Los Angeles.

The Bay Area has the Southern Crossing gap from I-238 to I-380 from South San Francisco/San Bruno area to San Leandro area.

That's not a gap, that's two separate interstates that don't connect.   :spin:

adventurernumber1

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 12, 2018, 01:05:08 AM
I just remembered something that I often forget about. Google Maps' "brilliant" new color scheme is making it very hard to visually remind myself of it, but I believe that on the northern end of the current (existing/original) I-99, there is a beyond substandard part of the highway. This very, very short portion of I-99 has actual intersections with a few surface streets (so it is not technically a freeway at all right here). This is beyond substandard (such as not having enough lanes (like that portion of I-93 in NH) or having inadequate shoulder lengths) - it is flattout violating one of the fundamentals of the Interstate Highway System - being able to travel without facing at-grade intersections - similar to "I-180" being designated over that surface street in Cheyenne, Wyoming - so I would consider this case a gap in the interstate system. Heck, even the I-99/I-80 interchange itself looks very, very substandard. This whole northern terminus of Interstate 99 is just pretty messed up all over the place. 

ARE there plans?  There WERE plans, but there was a lot of opposition, and I don't think this is on PennDOTs 12-year plan...

I don't think I realized just how uninformed I was on Interstate 99.  :pan:

I was talking about the substandard status of I-99's northern end, but I completely forgot about a problem (much different, but) equally as bad at its southern end! Breezewood II at I-99 and I-70/I-76 completely slipped from my memory. I-99 apparently actually does not directly connect to the Pennsylvania Turnpike (I-70/I-76) - instead, there is ramps connecting to a surface street (US 220 BUS), not unlike those of the actual Breezewood. You must exit briefly onto that surface street to go from I-99 to I-70-I-76 directly or vice versa. I truly did forget about Breezewood II. I suspect that this probably won't be fixed (much like the actual Breezewood), at least in the conceivable future, due to pressures from all those businesses on that short stretch of US 220 BUS, and more. This means that regardless of what else happens (such as a fixed up I-99/I-80 interchange), Interstate 99 may never actually truly be completely normal (devoid of any gaps whatsoever). So there is in fact not a direct connection between I-99 and I-70/I-76. Currently I-99 indeed actually does not fully connect to any other interstates at all (at least its original, current route).

Also, regarding my ignorance (until now) on I-99, I actually was not informed on the fact of just how new an interstate I-99 actually is. I don't think I realized that it is only about two decades old. I didn't think about the fact that it is still an interstate in its youth, and that may be why it is more prone to such deficiencies. I'll have to remember that that freeway was just US 220 for a long time, and that I-99 is still very new. Even with that said, I am still surprised about the substandard interchange with I-80 and Breezewood II, but after learning more about Interstate 99, it all seems more understandable to me now.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

jemacedo9

Quote from: vdeane on April 12, 2018, 01:23:53 PM
The PA section, anyways.  The NY section does connect to I-86.

EEEK...considering that I travel the NY section monthly, I forgot about that... 

silverback1065

Quote from: Beltway on April 11, 2018, 11:11:33 PM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 11, 2018, 08:50:10 PM
So aside from that, the main two notorious gaps that come to mind are the I-95 gap in New Jersey, and Breezewood in Pennsyvania (I-70/I-76). There may be other gaps of this magnitude (or that of which is somewhat large) that I am forgetting.

I-76 and I-81 junction.  Surface roads are the only way to connect.

That gap makes no sense, o wait, it's pennsylvania

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: theroadwayone on April 11, 2018, 07:56:05 PM
With the exception of Breezewood, which interstate gap has the best chance of closing anytime in the near future?

The gap between I-265 in Indiana and I-265 in Kentucky has been filled in with road/bridge, but it hasn't yet been designated I-265 so that's a gap that could close very soon.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Big John

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 12, 2018, 09:28:48 AM
Quote from: Beltway on April 11, 2018, 11:11:33 PMI-76 and I-81 junction.  Surface roads are the only way to connect.
Yes, but the highways themselves are still continuous.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 12, 2018, 08:47:09 AM
I-76, I-84, I-86, I-88.
You can add I-87 to that list.  :sombrero:
and I-74

froggie

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on April 12, 2018, 01:01:30 PM
Allow me to interpret this a bit differently.

I believe that the biggest gap in the Interstate system is the US 7 corridor.  The original 1956 plan had one but it disappeared soon thereafter.

The "original 1956 plan" was actually approved in 1947.  No bueno for your US 7 corridor.

(BTW, blame Massachusetts.  VT wanted US 7...MA wanted US 5.  MA won.)

TheHighwayMan3561

Not that it was ever a gap to IDiOT or the FHWA, but are the "TO I-90" banners still hanging around the Chicago Skyway or did they get their heads out of their asses and sign it as I-90 in the field again?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bing101

Quote from: kkt on April 12, 2018, 01:33:39 PM

I swore there was a huge stink over making I-238 meet with I-380 and I-380 was going to extend as CA-380 to Half Moon Bay though when the Southern Crossing was discussed.

Flint1979

There aren't any Interstate gaps in Michigan anymore. The last one I believe was the completion of I-696.

kkt

Quote from: bing101 on April 13, 2018, 11:22:47 AM

I swore there was a huge stink over making I-238 meet with I-380 and I-380 was going to extend as CA-380 to Half Moon Bay though when the Southern Crossing was discussed.

I-238 was built most importantly as part of the truck route from Altamont Pass to Oakland, as trucks are not allowed on I-580 from Oakland to Hayward.

Lots of roadgeeks have noted that I-238 to I-380 might be connected by a new bridge and thus have access to I-580 and I-280 come for free, however such plans have always been unofficial.  Several possible routes for a southern crossing have had feasibility studies, of which I-238 to I-380 was one, but not the favored one.   In particular, there's a couple of miles of subdivisions between I-238 and San Francisco Bay, so acquiring a right of way would be very expensive and very unpopular.  Also, that's the widest part of the bay, so the bridge itself would be particularly expensive.  The bridge would also be adjacent to the runways for both SFO and OAK, so at some risk if a plan is coming in too high or too low.  Adding new spans paralleling existing bridges would probably be easier, or even a new bridge from Alameda and Oakland to Hunter's Point.

IIRC, you're right that extended 380 to Half Moon Bay was a Caltrans plan at one point.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: kkt on April 13, 2018, 04:55:13 PM

I-238 was built most importantly as part of the truck route from Altamont Pass to Oakland, as trucks are not allowed on I-580 from Oakland to Hayward.

Lots of roadgeeks have noted that I-238 to I-380 might be connected by a new bridge and thus have access to I-580 and I-280 come for free, however such plans have always been unofficial.  Several possible routes for a southern crossing have had feasibility studies, of which I-238 to I-380 was one, but not the favored one.   In particular, there's a couple of miles of subdivisions between I-238 and San Francisco Bay, so acquiring a right of way would be very expensive and very unpopular.  Also, that's the widest part of the bay, so the bridge itself would be particularly expensive.  The bridge would also be adjacent to the runways for both SFO and OAK, so at some risk if a plan is coming in too high or too low.  Adding new spans paralleling existing bridges would probably be easier, or even a new bridge from Alameda and Oakland to Hunter's Point.

IIRC, you're right that extended 380 to Half Moon Bay was a Caltrans plan at one point.

I did not know that there was proposals to connect I-238 and I-380. That is very interesting.  :nod:

However, when I was looking on Google Maps, I, too, had to think if it would really be that feasible, because the bridge connecting them would cross what is seemingly the widest part of the bay. This would make it indeed very expensive to build, and of course, there are other factors besides the width of the bay that come into play (such as local opposition on the land and such).

As you said, maybe a good idea would be to add more room to the CA 92 bridge, or even build a new bridge just south of I-80 (from Alameda to Hunters Point), as this part of the bay is not nearly as wide as the part between I-238 and I-380.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

mgk920

Quote from: Flint1979 on April 13, 2018, 02:10:02 PM
There aren't any Interstate gaps in Michigan anymore. The last one I believe was the completion of I-696.

The north part of I-275?

Mike

Flint1979

Quote from: mgk920 on April 13, 2018, 08:39:31 PM

The north part of I-275?

Mike
There is no gap with I-275, there is only one section to it.

silverback1065

US 31 from Holland to Grand Haven has been filled?  US 131 and 127 have gaps too

Flint1979

Quote from: silverback1065 on April 16, 2018, 11:53:00 AM

US 31 from Holland to Grand Haven has been filled?  US 131 and 127 have gaps too
Those are US highways not Interstate's.

bulldog1979

I-69 was completed after I-696.

Techknow

Extend to Pacifica you mean, according to cahighways.org. Route 92 connects Half Moon Bay and I-280.

Anyway, here's a real gap in the Bay Area: I-80 and I-280 don't connect in San Francisco! Instead I-280 becomes King Street (the most direct freeway route to AT&T Park) and then the Embarcadero. Originally they were supposed to connect before the Bay Bridge, but thanks to Freeway revolts in the 60s and 70s that likely won't happen ever.

kkt

Quote from: Techknow on April 17, 2018, 01:44:43 AM
Extend to Pacifica you mean, according to cahighways.org. Route 92 connects Half Moon Bay and I-280.

Anyway, here's a real gap in the Bay Area: I-80 and I-280 don't connect in San Francisco! Instead I-280 becomes King Street (the most direct freeway route to AT&T Park) and then the Embarcadero. Originally they were supposed to connect before the Bay Bridge, but thanks to Freeway revolts in the 60s and 70s that likely won't happen ever.

I'm not sure how that's a gap.  Two different roads with two different numbers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.