News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you like Coleslaw?

Started by jeffandnicole, May 25, 2018, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like coleslaw?

Yes
20 (39.2%)
No
26 (51%)
I prefer the thicker, chopped type
8 (15.7%)
I prefer the thinner, creamed cabbage type
8 (15.7%)
I gotta go off topic and want to talk about potato salad
8 (15.7%)
I like Macronni Salad
9 (17.6%)
If you like Macaroni Salad, spell it correctly
12 (23.5%)
What are you, the spelling police?
11 (21.6%)
Back on topic, I still want to vote for coleslaw, but I don't like vinegar in mine.  What option can I choose?
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

jeffandnicole

It's Memorial Day Weekend, and this sums up the Coleslaw offshoot of the Fast Food thread.

abefroman329

I have to be honest, I've never tried it, but I don't want to, either.

Also, since the Spelling Police have been called anyway, you misspelled "thicker" as "thinker."

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

abefroman329

I also don't like macaroni salad or potato salad.  That's because I don't like mayonnaise.

Some people will tell you mayonnaise is an ingredient in blue cheese dressing, which I could consume by the gallon.  These people are liars.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 25, 2018, 10:20:23 AM
I also don't like macaroni salad or potato salad.  That's because I don't like mayonnaise.

Some people will tell you mayonnaise is an ingredient in blue cheese dressing, which I could consume by the gallon.  These people are liars.

We have common ground! I don't like mayo either. I've often referred to it as "Satan's semen."

Mayo-based potato salad must be some weird north or northern-midwest thing. Around here, potato salad is made with mustard, not mayo.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 25, 2018, 10:12:07 AM
I have to be honest, I've never tried it, but I don't want to, either.

Also, since the Spelling Police have been called anyway, you misspelled "thicker" as "thinker."

Yeah, and I didn't include an option to self correct that, so I'll fix it.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2018, 10:22:46 AM

We have common ground! I don't like mayo either. I've often referred to it as "Satan's semen."

Mayo-based potato salad must be some weird north or northern-midwest thing. Around here, potato salad is made with mustard, not mayo.

My mom made a mayo-based potato salad. I hated it. Potato salad in general, I don't like.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on May 25, 2018, 10:22:46 AM

Oh, that's odd. Potato salad in the South is made with mayo too.  There's also vinegar-based "German potato salad," but I'm not a big fan of vinegar (though I'll quietly tolerate it on a caprese salad).

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 25, 2018, 10:07:02 AM
It's Memorial Day Weekend, and this sums up the Coleslaw offshoot of the Fast Food thread.

Is there supposed to be some connection between Memorial Day and coleslaw?  :hmmm:

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2018, 12:38:00 PM

Is there supposed to be some connection between Memorial Day and coleslaw?  :hmmm:

On Memorial Day in Alanland, they place tubs of coleslaw at servicemembers' graves.  They also don't place tubs of coleslaw at servicemembers' graves.

jeffandnicole

Never had a Memorial Day picnic?  There's coleslaw, and potato salad, and Macaroni salad. 

And burgers and hot dogs and bbq...wait, you're up in northern New York.  You're still shoveling lake effect snows, right?    :D

csw

I enjoy all mayonnaise-based salads, but there is a fine line between good and awful coleslaw.

renegade

I love it!
Especially the sweet, creamy variety. :bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Max Rockatansky

Not really, usually it is the only part of fish and chips I pawn off to someone else at the table.

abefroman329

Ugh, that reminds me, I don't like tartar sauce, either.  Any condiment other than ketchup or BBQ sauce, really.

formulanone

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 25, 2018, 12:49:27 PM

On Memorial Day in Alanland, they place tubs of coleslaw at servicemembers' graves.  They also don't place tubs of coleslaw at servicemembers' graves.

It also replaced the original tradition of placing servicemen to guard buried coleslaw.

abefroman329

Quote from: formulanone on May 25, 2018, 03:35:58 PM

It also replaced the original tradition of placing servicemen to guard buried coleslaw.

Pity.  The changing of the guard ceremony at the Tomb of the Unknown Coleslaw was chilling.

Max Rockatansky

Wasn't that an issue during the 2nd Caterpillar War?  Too many infratry were busy guarding the buried coleslaw to tend to the War Goats?   I seem to recall that the War Goats rebelled, ate the infantry and buried the remains in Coleslaw. 

abefroman329

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 25, 2018, 03:42:42 PM

Wasn't that an issue during the 2nd Caterpillar War?  Too many infratry were busy guarding the buried coleslaw to tend to the War Goats?   I seem to recall that the War Goats rebelled, ate the infantry and buried the remains in Coleslaw.

Your timeline is off - many people forget that the Second Caterpillar War was before the First Caterpillar War.

kphoger

Yes.

I love coleslaw.  My wife's favorite kind is creamy and shredded.  Our usual recipe is a KFC knock-off.  My parents usually make a vinegar-based coleslaw, and what they put in it varies from day to day.  They often put in jalapeños and poppy seeds and other stuff you might not typically find in coleslaw.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

I think it was a Memorial Day weekend that time back in high school when a waitress at the Richmond, Ky. Cracker Barrel dumped a bowl of it in my lap. So yes, there's a connection.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Don't like it and from my observations at the local diners I frequently patronize, restaurants must be throwing out buckets of the stuff.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Brandon

Vinegar-based coleslaw is pretty good, IMHO.  Ranch dressing, on the other hand, is crap.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

OracleUsr

Yes.  Type depends on what I'm eating.  If it's good old Lexington style BBQ, red slaw with just enough red pepper to provide a kick.

Fish, thin is fine.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 25, 2018, 12:54:39 PM
Never had a Memorial Day picnic?  There's coleslaw, and potato salad, and Macaroni salad.

I certainly have, but I didn't know all that stuff was specific to Memorial Day picnics  :-P

Quotewait, you're up in northern New York.  You're still shoveling lake effect snows, right?    :D

At this point in April, yes.
But today we hit 80 degrees... so much for spring weather lasting for months. After the last snow, we were lucky to eek out just two beautiful weeks before the heat set in  :ded:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.