News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Apple CarPlay will soon let you use Google Maps, Waze, and other third-party map

Started by ZLoth, June 05, 2018, 03:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From The Verge:

Apple CarPlay will soon let you use Google Maps, Waze, and other third-party maps
QuoteStarting in iOS 12 later this year, Apple's CarPlay will no longer force you to use Apple Maps to get directions. Instead, you'll be able to use navigation from any third-party app, like Google Maps, Waze, or whatever your mapping app of choice is.

CarPlay already supported third-party apps in other scenarios. However, mapping has been one of those classic cases of Apple locking everyone into using its own service. But Apple Maps isn't exactly a beloved app. And while it's improved over time, there are plenty of reasons to prefer other services, like all the additional information that Waze provides.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Now, if only Toyota would support Android Auto. As it is now, they may introduce Carplay into next year models.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

SSOWorld

This is good news. Now only if they didn't hijack your phone's screen as well.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

AsphaltPlanet

Welcome news indeed.  I have long considered leaving apple's ecosystem just so that I could use google maps in CarPlay.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

davewiecking

Um, I'm confused. Isn't CarPlay an Apple creation, and thus how can you use CarPlay outside Apple's ecosystem?

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: davewiecking on June 06, 2018, 12:06:07 AM
Um, I'm confused. Isn't CarPlay an Apple creation, and thus how can you use CarPlay outside Apple's ecosystem?

I'd leave apple's ecosystem and use android auto instead of carplay.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jakeroot

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 05, 2018, 06:52:38 PM
Welcome news indeed.  I have long considered leaving apple's ecosystem just so that I could use google maps in CarPlay.

You mean "use Google Maps in Android Auto", I assume.

About time Apple implemented this feature. I've been using Waze via Android Auto for a long time now, and whenever someone insisted on plugging in their iPhone, we'd lose Waze on the big screen.

SSOWorld

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 06, 2018, 12:16:11 AM

Apple's a stubborn SOB when it comes to 3rd party software on their systems.  The 3rd party needs approval prior to the implementation.  Of course, one can't play music purchased via Apple on an android device without decoding it first.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jakeroot

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 06, 2018, 03:10:59 AM
Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on June 06, 2018, 12:16:11 AM

Apple's a stubborn SOB when it comes to 3rd party software on their systems.  The 3rd party needs approval prior to the implementation.  Of course, one can't play music purchased via Apple on an android device without decoding it first.

There is an Apple Music app for Android. I assume this isn't what you are referring to?

seicer

Copy/paste from Apple support:

* All of the Apple Music features are there... Just like the iOS app, Apple Music for Android is full of musical recommendations, human-curated playlists and radio. ... You can download songs, playlists and full albums for offline listening when you don't have a connection.
* How to download content to listen to offline. ... Then, in the Music app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch; in iTunes on your Mac or PC; or in the Apple Music app on your Android phone, find the item that you want to download, and follow these steps: On your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Android phone: Tap Download.
* Make sure your phone has Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) or later. To check your Android version, go to Apps > Settings > About device. Get the Apple Music app from Google Play. Know your Apple ID, which is the account that you use with all Apple services such as the iTunes Store or App Store.

Now... if you have music that's stored on iTunes on your Windows computer, you'll need to turn on Apple Music and iCloud Music Library in iTunes. But your post is pretty vague so...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.