News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

SH 199 Route Change at Ardmore

Started by Brian556, June 07, 2018, 05:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Just drive thru Ardmore on SB I-35. Modifications to the BGS's indicate suggest that SH 199 has been decommissioned east of I-35, and that it has been re-routed concurrent with SH 142. I used the search box on ODOT's website, but couldn't find any info

Observed changes: SH 199 was added to the SH 142 sign. SH 199 was removed from signage for the interchange at Broadway. They just removed them leaving the signs saying ____ EAST Ardmore. I'm thinking this is temporary, and eventually they will replace the sign with a larger one that says "Broadway"
I'm also thinking that the 142 designation will be dropped once people get used to the change

If we can get this verified, we need to submit a change request to Google Maps, and get somebody to update OSM

Scott5114

Approved by the Transportation Commission on March 5, 2018:

QuoteRemove from the State Highway System, a total of approximately 4.06 miles of SH-199, beginning at the east terminus of the I-35 ramps on West Broadway St. and includes all segments of SH-199 on W. Broadway St, E. Broadway St., Main St., N. Washington St., S. Washington St., and the segment of SH-199 on Sam Noble  Parkway  from  N.  Washington  St.  to  the  SH-142  junction.  This  portion  of  SH-199   including   right-of-way   will   be   transferred   to   the   appropriate   local   jurisdiction  for  further  maintenance  or  abandonment.    In  accordance  with  state  law, a Public Removal Hearing was held October 27th, 2017.

Notably, it doesn't actually seem to extend SH-199 over SH-142. I am going to look around and see if there's some other explanation for that.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

texaskdog

I just noticed this too last night.  Funny I was not the first one.  I updated Wikipedia too lol.

Brian556

Both Google Maps and OSM show Broadway from I-35 to US 77 as still being SH 199, when they are not. These need to be corrected.

It is odd that they posted "TO 199" signs at SH 142, rather than re-numbering 142 as 199

Brian556

Quote from: Scott5114 on June 07, 2018, 11:39:22 PM
Approved by the Transportation Commission on March 5, 2018:

QuoteRemove from the State Highway System, a total of approximately 4.06 miles of SH-199, beginning at the east terminus of the I-35 ramps on West Broadway St. and includes all segments of SH-199 on W. Broadway St, E. Broadway St., Main St., N. Washington St., S. Washington St., and the segment of SH-199 on Sam Noble  Parkway  from  N.  Washington  St.  to  the  SH-142  junction.  This  portion  of  SH-199   including   right-of-way   will   be   transferred   to   the   appropriate   local   jurisdiction  for  further  maintenance  or  abandonment.    In  accordance  with  state  law, a Public Removal Hearing was held October 27th, 2017.

Notably, it doesn't actually seem to extend SH-199 over SH-142. I am going to look around and see if there's some other explanation for that.

Scott5114

Yeah, looks like it was updated incorrectly on OSM; it's now showing a SH-142/SH-199 concurrency, which isn't right. The eastern terminus of 142 is the western terminus of 199.

rte66man

Made a Dallas trip last week and was able to capture the following photos of the sign changes.

Northbound
DSC_0036

DSC_0037

DSC_0040

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

Wow. They really didn't bother to match the color on that greenout. And consistency between the advance and the exit direction is too much to ask for...and holy Series F...

texaskdog

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Brian556

Westbound SH 199 at SH 142. SH 199 now ends here. They installed an "STATE ROADSIDE MAINTENANCE ENDS" sign. This has to be wrong, because that sounds like it refers to mowing and litter pick-up only. I say it should say "END STATE MAINTENANCE". This mistake also exists on SH 115 S of US 62 at Cache. The also incorrectly used the turn ahead arrow plaque too close to the intersection. It should be a flat arrow. Also, there should be an "END 199" sign.

DSC_0045 by Brian Kosich, on Flickr

Northbound US 77 at SH 142:

DSC_0038 by Brian Kosich, on Flickr

Bobby5280

Quote from: Scott5114Wow. They really didn't bother to match the color on that greenout. And consistency between the advance and the exit direction is too much to ask for...and holy Series F...

Given the sign is facing South (and getting maximum sun exposure) it's likely the retro-reflective vinyl on the existing sign faded enough to make any kind of patch work with new vinyl significantly darker or more saturated. The grade of retro-reflective sheeting commonly used on highway signs has a very limited range of colors. There's really no way to get a patch of new vinyl to match vinyl on a sign that has been out in the field for years.

I don't know the full age of that particular sign panel. At the very least it is over 5 years old, given there's Google Maps/Street View imagery of it dated August 2013 (as well as 2018 imagery showing the bad patch job). Five years in the Oklahoma sun is more than enough time to bleach retro-reflective vinyl at least a couple or more shades. The sign could actually be significantly older than that, even pre-dating the adoption of Clearview. We have signs along I-44 in my region that are well over 20 years old or even older. Reflective vinyl, even the high dollar grade used on highway signs, has a limited life span. It sure won't last nearly as long as a classic sign with a porcelain-ized finish and button copy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.