News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

What are the most dangerous roads in California?

Started by mcornell, July 20, 2018, 11:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcornell

I am curious, I am getting ready to move to a new place in California. I came across this article:

https://www.gjel.com/blog/the-10-most-dangerous-roadways-in-california.html

I will mainly be using "the 5" to commute so I would like to hear some advice or tips that you might have.

To those that are familiar with California, would you agree or disagree with the roads listed here?

Also, what other roads would you add to the list?
:hmmm:

webny99

Looks like you're new here, so I'm obliged to explain:

"Suggestions and Questions" refers to those about the forum itself, not roads in general.
Questions about roads in general can go in General Highway Talk. Your question seems to be specific to California, so it can go in Pacific Southwest, the regional board which includes California.

I can't say much about your actual question, since I've only been to California once, and that was limited to the Bay Area. Including I-5, I-10, I-15 and I-80 on a list of "most dangerous roads" seems a bit lame; it only means anything to anybody if it's a lot more specific than that: Which segments? Why? What makes them different than any other interstate?

I had to laugh at this one, about I-10:
QuoteThe dangers you can encounter on this route include drunk drivers, poor road conditions, congestion, and distracted drivers, among others.
Talk about generic!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on July 20, 2018, 12:37:44 PM

"Suggestions and Questions" refers to those about the forum itself, not roads in general.
Questions about roads in general can go in General Highway Talk. Your question seems to be specific to California, so it can go in Pacific Southwest, the regional board which includes California.

I can't say much about your actual question, since I've only been to California once, and that was limited to the Bay Area. Including I-5, I-10, I-15 and I-80 on a list of "most dangerous roads" seems a bit lame; it only means anything to anybody if it's a lot more specific than that: Which segments? Why? What makes them different than any other interstate?

QuoteThe dangers you can encounter on this route include drunk drivers, poor road conditions, congestion, and distracted drivers, among others.
Talk about generic!

Funny thing is the author did put some thought in with the Merced River Canyon on 49 and something like Mineral King Road.  That said there was no data to back up any of his arguments which would have been nice. 

Max Rockatansky

I got to thinking, this list doesn't even include CA 99 which is largely considered to be the most dangerous in the state by most credible publications.  CA 49 in the Merced River Canyon also has nowhere near the traffic CA 1 sees in Big Sur.  The article reads almost like the author had a bad experience on each of these roads upon second glance.

But to the OP, if you are really moving to San Francisco you likely won't be going fast enough anywhere near you to be in a fatal car accident.  Traffic in the Bay Area as a whole is among the worst in the country. 

Quillz

For many years, CA-37 was known as "Blood Alley," although I think it's a pretty safe road nowadays as its largely been constructed to near-freeway standards. In SoCal, CA-138, specifically the Pearblossom Highway, was generally considered the most dangerous road to drive on anywhere within the Greater LA Area. To this day, it still requires daytime headlights (as does much of CA-138 as well as some portions of CA-118). As far as I know, Pearblossom Highway is still two lanes and lacks passing lanes.

sparker

The OP sounds as if the poster, now in SF, is actually moving to a place where they'll be commuting on I-5.  That could mean, if staying within NorCal, anything from Patterson north to Woodland.  From south to north, the sections of I-5 posing potentially "sticky situations" are:

(1)  The merging area (NB) between the I-205 entrance and the CA 120 exit near Manteca.  This is an example of what I call the "Caltrans Shuffle", where a lane is added to one side of a carriageway but another subtracted from the other side, requiring those in the center lane(s) to shift (I-280 in San Jose does this a lot!).  They've recently restriped it NB in order to continue the 2 right lanes coming off I-205 (which no longer narrows) directly onto the CA 120 offramp.  This was likely done to acknowledge the dominant commute patterns.  The "shuffle" originally was found on I-5 north of Stockton (near Hammer Lane) as well, but that has been revised in recent years with the freeway's widening.
(2)  Both directions from Land Park to the American River in central Sacramento; simply a maze of ramps, including the junction with US 50.  Automatic traffic slowdowns as the ramps negotiated by drivers, who invariably slow to a crawl in order to figure out just where they need to get off (particularly tourists looking for Old Town, the state capitol, or the RR museum). 
(3) the I-5/I-80 junction; even with the C/D lanes, an underpowered cloverleaf (save for the turbine-style semi-directional ramp from WB 80 to SB 5) with congestion extending beyond peak hours.   Likely because the EB 80>NB 5 movement is seen as obtuse, since I-5 veers west a couple of miles north of the interchange (and most interregional traffic has already departed I-80 at I-505 or CA 113), that movement is still served by a low-speed ramp.  However, with development along CA 99 and CA 70 (and the westward housing expansion from the Lincoln area), that movement sees ever-increasing traffic.   

Now -- if you're heading downstate to L.A. or points south, the sheer number of potential congestion points is way too high for a simple listing here.  All I can say is: may you be protected from the roadbound morons you'll eventually encounter! 

Desert Man

The older CA SR 86 (former US 99) - Harrison Street and the Pearson-Freeman highway from Coachella to Calexico (the US Mexican border), where over 250 accidents took place in 4 decades, including a school bus crash in 1980 where half a dozen children were killed - a total of 200 people were victims of this bloody stretch of rural road. A modern CA SR 86 freeway was built in the 1990s east of Coachella and meets the older road on the west shores of the Salton Sea at the Riverside-Imperial county line. Despite rapid growth and suburban sprawl south of I-10 from resort towns Palm Springs to Indio (the largest in the area), the land south of Coachella remains largely agricultural and the old 86 or 99/ Harrison Street was never widened.   
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

sparker

Quote from: Desert Man on July 28, 2018, 12:05:58 PM
The older CA SR 86 (former US 99) - Harrison Street and the Pearson-Freeman highway from Coachella to Calexico (the US Mexican border), where over 250 accidents took place in 4 decades, including a school bus crash in 1980 where half a dozen children were killed - a total of 200 people were victims of this bloody stretch of rural road. A modern CA SR 86 freeway was built in the 1990s east of Coachella and meets the older road on the west shores of the Salton Sea at the Riverside-Imperial county line. Despite rapid growth and suburban sprawl south of I-10 from resort towns Palm Springs to Indio (the largest in the area), the land south of Coachella remains largely agricultural and the old 86 or 99/ Harrison Street was never widened.   

The CA 86 freeway/expressway -- extended to include CA 78/111 from Westmorland to I-8 and CA 7 from I-8 to the border -- was and is part of a concerted effort, started in the late '80's, to construct a relatively safe "conveyor belt" from the Mexicali area (where a number of sizeable "maquiladoras" -- OEM manufacturers for US-market products) are located.  At that time, these over-the-border factories were viewed as a way to obtain cheaper labor in order to keep consumer prices in check; since then China has "come on line" as the 800-pound gorilla of that concept.  Mexican plants still are valuable as assembly points:  a common occurrence, particularly in consumer electronics, is that subassemblies are done overseas or over the border and shipped back to the U.S. so that the final product is labeled "made in USA from domestic and foreign parts"; that's largely the present role of the plants in Mexicali, Nogales, and other border areas.  The CA 86 (et. al.) corridor was intended to not only address the safety issues plaguing the old highway, but to increase capacity to accommodate increased numbers of commercial trucks; the destination for many of those are warehouses or factories in the Inland Empire or San Gabriel Valley -- and avoiding San Diego congestion points was and is considered a principal consideration.  Except for a Westmorland bypass, the corridor is essentially complete; at this point there don't appear to be plans, short or long-range, to further upgrade the expressway portions to full freeway (even with significant truck traffic, the numbers just aren't there to warrant such an upgrade).  Interestingly, it seems to be increasingly utilized as a long-range Phoenix bypass, shunting I-10 commercial traffic intended for points east of Phoenix  down to I-8.  With most of the chokepoints bypassed, that particular usage will likely become more common (at least until an efficient AZ-based bypass -- apparently the AZ 85 cutoff is considered "backtracking" to some drivers -- is deployed).  In any case, the CA 86/78/111 routing is considerably safer and more efficient than the previous 2-lane facility, now that Coachella, Brawley, and El Centro are bypassed.     

bing101

Wait what about Vasco Road that was mentioned as "The Most Dangerous Highway not managed by Caltrans" that was mentioned in the local press for accidents. Due to the fact that its a former rural road turned expressway and a bypass to highway 680 for communters
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasco_Road

CA-1 dangerous due to erosions. But wait ain't interstates generally safer roads than Non interstates because of road standards. The op said Interstates were dangerous roads though in the link. But the interstates mentioned in the thread in some places are being renovated like I-5 in Los Angeles from the CA-91 interchange to the I-605 to improve on safety standards. Note I-5 from the 605 to 710 will be renovated at a later time.

What about Golden Gate Bridge it has to be a dangerous bridge due to the Suicide issue but that was being renovated to reduce suicides at the time of post.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on July 20, 2018, 12:37:44 PM

Talk about generic!
Poor road conditions should be mentioned at the Michigan border lol.

sparker

For substandard roads carrying a lot of traffic (usually a combination of commercial and commuter), I'd suggest these as being on the potential "please fix" list:

SoCal:  (a) CA 138 from Littlerock east to I-15, particularly in and around Phelan.  Mostly 2 lanes w/occasional passing areas, often an undulating profile with terrible lines of sight, and narrower than normal shoulders.  Gets a lot of commercial traffic heading for Palmdale & Lancaster from Inland Empire distribution centers. (b)  US 395 from Victorville to Kramer Junction/CA 58.  I kvetched about this in another thread; dominated by long-distance truck traffic looking to avoid L.A. congestion, all squeezed into two lanes with occasional uphill passing areas.  SoCal's "Blood Alley" these days!   (c) CA 118 from Moorpark/CA 23 west to Saticoy/CA 126.  Commuter traffic mixed with agricultural trucking onto two lanes; not the best combination for safety. 
NorCal:  (a) Vasco Road; read all the other threads covering this commute nightmare.  (b) CA 152 between Casa de Fruta/CA 156 and Gilroy.  Oft-discussed; 2 lanes of truck traffic (interregional and local/agricultural) combined with a high level of interregional general traffic (it's the shortest way from San Jose to I-5 south).  Possibility of expressway or freeway bypass in next 10 years if gas tax isn't 86'ed.  (c) CA 12 in the North Bay, particularly 2 sections:  CA 29 to I-80 (Jameson Canyon); connects the Napa Valley to eastward I-80;  commuter/commercial/recreational traffic in 2 lanes through a shallow gorge.  Other section:  I-80 near Cordelia to CA 99 at Lodi.  Again, a commercial "shortcut" (also serves I-5 west of Lodi) but increasingly a commute route as Stockton/Lodi-area housing sees more development.  Very bad lines of sight along this highway, with numerous "blind" intersections, including the junction with CA 113.  Backs up in both directions when the Rio Vista drawbridge is open. 

I'm sure there are more highways in and around the smaller CA metro areas (I have some friends living in Goleta who consistently bitch about CA 154) that have issues, but I'm choosing only to comment on facilities that I've actually used from time to time.  And I'll bet that Sacramento-area posters will chime in with their (least) favorite deathtrap!   

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on August 03, 2018, 05:18:44 PM
  (c) CA 12 in the North Bay, particularly 2 sections:  CA 29 to I-80 (Jameson Canyon); connects the Napa Valley to eastward I-80;  commuter/commercial/recreational traffic in 2 lanes through a shallow gorge.

I think the Jameson Canyon section is mostly four lanes already, based on what I saw here:
https://cahighways.org/009-016.html#012

I haven't passed through there though in years.
Chris Sampang

Max Rockatansky

Funny, I drive 156 so often nowadays that I got used to how congested it really is.  Didn't people start calling 25 north of Hollister to US 101 Blood Alley due to all the wrecks?  68 is pretty up there too as a traffic nightmare and I believe has the highest average daily traffic count in the state on a two-land roadway. 

sparker

Quote from: TheStranger on August 03, 2018, 05:27:17 PM
Quote from: sparker on August 03, 2018, 05:18:44 PM
  (c) CA 12 in the North Bay, particularly 2 sections:  CA 29 to I-80 (Jameson Canyon); connects the Napa Valley to eastward I-80;  commuter/commercial/recreational traffic in 2 lanes through a shallow gorge.

I think the Jameson Canyon section is mostly four lanes already, based on what I saw here:
https://cahighways.org/009-016.html#012

I haven't passed through there though in years.

I'll have to reconsider that section; I haven't been on it since about 2008 in any case.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2018, 06:24:43 PM
Funny, I drive 156 so often nowadays that I got used to how congested it really is.  Didn't people start calling 25 north of Hollister to US 101 Blood Alley due to all the wrecks?  68 is pretty up there too as a traffic nightmare and I believe has the highest average daily traffic count in the state on a two-land roadway. 

Since the K-rail was placed down much of CA 25 NW of Hollister, the death/injury stats have decreased significantly -- but the transit time increased marginally as no passing is possible (it's still 1+1 lanes).  Haven't been on CA 68 in what is likely decades, but it was bad back in the '70's and probably worse today. 

swhuck

CA-17 south of Los Gatos and the two lane portion of CA-152 east of 101 have to be in the mix here.
Clinched: I-2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 35, 37, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 55, 59, 65, 66, 68, 70, 71, 72, 76 (both), 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 (W), 85, 86 (W), 88 (W), 93, 94, 96, 97
US50, 101, 175, 199, 290, 380, 491/666
Clinched for now: I-11, 14, 49, 57

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: swhuck on August 03, 2018, 07:44:06 PM
CA-17 south of Los Gatos and the two lane portion of CA-152 east of 101 have to be in the mix here.

Funny, I've never found 17 to be all that bad.  It kind of reminds me of 60 east of Moreno Valley.  You can get caught up in something but it's avoidable mostly due to the four-lanes.  The two-lane Gilroy section of 152 is a complete disaster no matter how you look at.  Everyone wants to drive like they are still on Pacheco Pass. 

Anyone notice we've mostly talked about the Bay Area and locales nearby?  My nominee is definitely 99, especially in a thick Tule Fog.  99 is so substandard in terms of design filled with commercial traffic that you're literally driving blind in the winter sometimes at 80 MPH given the pace won't slow on a foggy day.  Personally I'd rather slog on 43 and take my chances in bad conditions.   

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 03, 2018, 07:51:43 PM
Quote from: swhuck on August 03, 2018, 07:44:06 PM

Funny, I've never found 17 to be all that bad.  It kind of reminds me of 60 east of Moreno Valley.  You can get caught up in something but it's avoidable mostly due to the four-lanes.  The two-lane Gilroy section of 152 is a complete disaster no matter how you look at.  Everyone wants to drive like they are still on Pacheco Pass. 

Anyone notice we've mostly talked about the Bay Area and locales nearby?  My nominee is definitely 99, especially in a thick Tule Fog.  99 is so substandard in terms of design filled with commercial traffic that you're literally driving blind in the winter sometimes at 80 MPH given the pace won't slow on a foggy day.  Personally I'd rather slog on 43 and take my chances in bad conditions.   

Pretty much in agreement with the above, particularly the older/narrower sections from Delano north to Goshen (with the tule fog getting really bad along all those little creeks 99 crosses in that segment).  And while much of the route has been upgraded (or is in the process of being so) north of there, the segment through Merced and Atwater, featuring narrow bridges and short entrance/exit ramps, can also be a pain in the ass (and more so in the fog -- the saving grace of which is that it isn't quite as thick in the northern San Joaquin valley).  Continued progress on the CA 99 "master plan" for an eventual 6+ lanes -- Interstate designation or not -- can't come soon enough!

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9pSJE86xpo. Does CA-198 count as a dangerous road. According to this video the highway was being renovated at the time of recording.

bing101

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-710-freeway-expansion-20180301-story.html

How about the 710 freeway as a dangerous road it's due to the Truck Traffic from the Port of Long Beach

I know I-880 in Oakland had a similar complaints to I-710 due to the sheer truck traffic from ports in the Bay Area though.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on August 05, 2018, 04:21:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9pSJE86xpo. Does CA-198 count as a dangerous road. According to this video the highway was being renovated at the time of recording.

That intro photo is on the Generals Highway and not 198, two miles are resurfaced every year. .  I frequent the Generals Highway about a dozen times year.  198 west to Visalia really all that bad, the segment west of Coalinga is way more curvy.  The road is well graded despite being curvy has low traffic compared to roads in Yosemite.  I definitely wouldn't list it as a dangerous highway.  245 and 180 east of Hume Lake are more wild roads in the Sequoia National Park Area.  Ironically the OPs link had Mineral King Road on the list which is also located in Sequoia National Park.  Mineral King is probably one of the more difficult paved roads in California with massive grades which require some skill selecting the right low gears.  Mineral King is also a single lane albeit nowhere near as narrow as Blackrock Road or Kaiser Pass Road.  And if anyone recalls from a couple years ago we had a discussion on this board that Mineral King Road is still listed as the proposed right of way for CA 276. 

ACSCmapcollector

I would think the one of the dangerous highways out there is CA 46, (old U.S. 466) at the CA 41 junction where there was do many accidental deaths and accidents too lately, including James Dean in NE San Luis Obispo County.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on August 05, 2018, 05:22:40 PM
I would think the one of the dangerous highways out there is CA 46, (old U.S. 466) at the CA 41 junction where there was do many accidental deaths and accidents too lately, including James Dean in NE San Luis Obispo County.

More or less that junction has always been pretty infamous.  Interesting to see it will finally be replaced in the near future with a flyover. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.