News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Does anyone else collect/is into vintage hardware and software?

Started by index, July 24, 2018, 09:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

index

As of now, I've been into old hardware and software and I am slowly amassing a collection of it. Along with roadgeeking, this is another interest of mine, that I have been both more and less into at various points in my life, however, I've never became completely disinterested.

I currently have 486 floppy disks (not mixing that number up with the processor type, I have exactly 486) that I use for my old machines. So far I've got this custom built 686 processor machine running Windows 98, equipped with 32 MB of RAM and a CD-ROM drive, as well as a 5.25" diskette and 3.5" diskette drive, one of those old HP Palmtops (a PC320LX which I believe is running Windows CE 1.0), a Sony Mavica floppy disk camera, and an IBM Thinkpad i Series (too lazy to check the exact model number/cpu speed) with 256 MB of RAM and a CPU around 300 MHz. All of these were found pretty dirt cheap after some scouring around on eBay.

I also have a small collection of old software, including Office 2000, a Windows 98 installation disc, and formerly Microsoft Excel (4.0? I don't know what happened to it). Next thing I have my eyes set on is an IBM 5155 however those are expensive and hard to come by.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

abefroman329

It's impressive that you can keep all that equipment in operating order, although maybe, back then, they were built to last.

Max Rockatansky

I have all the game files dating back to my Windows 3 computer.  Granted most of them don't work unless I have a DOS emulator or some sort of advanced source port like Doom mods tend to have.

inkyatari

I have an atari 2600, 5200, 7800, XE computer, Sega Genesis and Saturn, with loads of software for each.

If you really are into vintage PC hardware, check out the Lazy Game Reviews channel on Youtube.  Some great PC related stuff there. The Avon Cosmetics laptop on his "Oddware" playlist is pretty interesting.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

inkyatari

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 25, 2018, 10:32:25 PM
I have all the game files dating back to my Windows 3 computer.  Granted most of them don't work unless I have a DOS emulator or some sort of advanced source port like Doom mods tend to have.

DOSBox for the win!

Bringing this back to roadgeekery, ever try running old mapping software?  I have several Rand McNally and DeLorme titles, and if I can get them running, they are fascinating artifacts to explore.  I especially like DeLorme's 3D explorer.  There was one version of the DeLorme Street Atlas that had a street in Florida (that doesn't exist in real life, obviously) named..  (Hide the kiddies!) "C-m On My Face Ln."
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jon daly

I have a couple of manual typewriters in my storage shed. If the Great Blackout ever happens, my comms needs are met.

doorknob60

I unfortunately don't have any more old PC hardware. I used to always keep some around, but I went to university, then my parents moved to a smaller house. All that stuff is probably gone these days. However, I do have plenty of old gaming consoles. NES, SNES, Genesis, etc. as well as newer ones. Lower maintenance than old PCs, not sure when I'll have the time and space to get back into that. Might just stick to DOSBox, Wine, etc.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.