News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-35 reconstruction through Norman, OK

Started by Scott5114, January 31, 2009, 01:48:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

I suspect the current configuration of the bend is temporary–the pavement markings look temporary, and the plans seem to include new stoplights at the intersections on either side of the interchange, so perhaps there will be further relocation of Main Street to make the bend less noticeable.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

The contractor has made quick work of the old Main Street spans–the decks (girders and all) have been totally removed, leaving just the piers to be removed. Then it'll just be some quick widening work for I-35 and construction of the new ramps.

Bizarrely, going southbound, there is a channel coned off along the future #3 lane (beyond the temporary Jersey barriers) all through the work zone, complete with signs, running out at the exact point that the Exit 108AB c/d lane diverges. Surely they are not planning to open some sort of temporary entrance ramp there...?

Further south, the southbound Canadian River bridge looks essentially finished except for striping, so of course they have diverted all of the workers to the northbound bridge and leave half of the perfectly good bridge closed off. Extremely frustrating.

Scott5114

Updates...

At Main Street, not much has changed. One pier of the old bridge is gone. It appears the channel through the work zone I mentioned above is used by construction vehicles, although it is extremely bizarre that it has full signage for every little curve and such.

There is a new configuration at the Canadian River bridge. A portion of the curb separating the Exit 108AB c/d lane from the mainline has been removed and paved over, leading to a slightly more generous merging situation for Exit 108AB traffic. However, just downstream of here, the traffic has been shunted over two lanes onto the new part of the bridge; workers are taking chunks out of the median barrier at regular intervals. This makes me believe that perhaps they will be installing lighting on the bridge. The new configuration was installed on Saturday, causing a horrific traffic backup that went well past Robinson Street, possibly up to Rock Creek and beyond.

Scott5114

Meanwhile, here's what's planned for the future (south is up for some reason)...

Alps

Killing existing access to Lindsey and making more traffic follow a loop than before. Even just briefly looking at it I have better ideas.

NE2

Looks like traffic to Lindsey would use "Ed Noble Pkwy" and avoid I-35 altogether.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

I think you may be misinterpreting the diagram. There's a SPUI at Lindsey replacing the old configuration (which is shown as gray lines with Xs).

NE2

We're talking about traffic from SH 9 to Lindsey.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Scott5114

Ed Noble Parkway deadends south of Lindsey. You would have to use 24th Ave SE (the north-south arterial to the east/left of the interstate). This is what I already do when going from 9 to Lindsey. It is no worse than the interstate since there are no stoplights on that stretch of 24th, and you don't have to deal with merging with interstate traffic. Keeping that movement on 24th keeps local traffic flow on local roads and out of the way of through traffic.

I'm not too crazy about the loop ramp but other than that the design makes sense, and losing the access between the two interchanges is worth it to get the benefits of the ramp braiding.

NE2

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2013, 01:24:01 PM
Ed Noble Parkway deadends south of Lindsey.
Not after construction, according to a June 2011 public hearing ("Provides a SH 9E/Ed Noble Parkway direct connection", p. 22). This presentation includes (on p. 20) practically the same map as the one you posted. In particular, note the red road with white arrow outside the loop to I-35 south and the pink road with white arrow coming north off that loop.

Scott5114

Ah. The only plan I was familiar with was to have Ed Noble feed into SB I-35 (going through the space where the new loop ramp is on the final plan) so that direct access to SB I-35 at Lindsey could be elimitanted. I had assumed since they were going with the ramp-braiding plan that they were going to leave Ed Noble alone.

rte66man

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2013, 02:37:43 PM
Ah. The only plan I was familiar with was to have Ed Noble feed into SB I-35 (going through the space where the new loop ramp is on the final plan) so that direct access to SB I-35 at Lindsey could be elimitanted. I had assumed since they were going with the ramp-braiding plan that they were going to leave Ed Noble alone.
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2013, 02:37:43 PM

Does that mean the trarfic will flow more freely?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Scott5114

If you're going to cover up the fact that your project is running late, at least make sure you change the name of the month in the body of the copy to match the altered header...

Scott5114

Running two months late now...OKC Traffax says the bridge is now narrowed "through December".

There's a lot of dirt being moved around at the SH-9 interchange. I wonder if they are planning on launching its reconfiguration immediately after the bridge is complete.

algorerhythms

Google Maps has updated their satellite view with images of the partially completed interchange at Main Street. I haven't been over that way in a long time, so I don't know how recent that image is, though.

Bobby5280

The imagery is dated October 5, 2013 in Google Earth. I'm kind of surprised they're not farther along with this project. How long did it take to build the SPUI at I-40 & S. Morgan Road?

Several areas in Oklahoma have new satellite imagery. Even Lawton had its imagery updated. The new shopping center on 82nd Street is visible as well as the construction progress on the new shopping center and hotel at 2nd Street. :D

algorerhythms

They've also updated the imagery in Moore, showing the tornado-damaged areas. If you zoom in far enough, it goes to an older picture showing what the area looked like before the tornado.

Bobby5280

If you use the "Historical Imagery" feature in Google Earth, you can toggle the slider from at least three levels of recently dated imagery of Moore, OK.

The current, Oct 5, 2013, imagery shows a lot of empty building foundations and some new construction in progress.

The May 21, 2013 imagery was taken just 1 day after the EF-5 tornado struck. The level of devastation is pretty horrific.

The November 6, 2012 imagery is a very good look at Moore before all the destruction took place.

Scott5114

The southbound bridge over the Canadian is DONE! ...and it still has three lanes going southbound, same as it did when the project started. The shoulder is just really wide now :banghead:

We also have two new Clearview signs on monotube cantilevers now. They don't look *awful* from what I saw, but I was too busy focusing on the new traffic pattern to give them all that close of a look.

Scott5114

All signage on the bridge is installed now. Going northbound, there is a cantilever with advance signage for exits 108A and 108B on the same panel (separated by a vertical line). The exit direction signs for the exit lanes north and southbound both have the arrows in the yellow field per the new MUTCD. However, the northbound exit for eastbound SH-9 features a down arrow being used as an up arrow.

Strangely, the exit direction sign for Exit 106 going southbound is a brand new truss-style cantilever, while everything else is monotube. Perhaps ODOT is limiting monotubes to Cleveland and Oklahoma counties, and McClain County is supposed to use trusses for some reason?

bugo

There are tubes in Tulsa and Rogers Counties on I-44 and the BA.

Scott5114

algorerhythms

The Main Street interchange is planned to open tonight: Norman Transcript article

Scott5114

Went through a couple of hours ago. The left turn signals were blinking red, but everything else was shut off. The signals are on a black monotube gantry much like the one in the photo above.

Gnutella

Oklahoma's new signage is a lot like Pennsylvania's. In Pennsylvania, they keep the exit tabs, route direction and mileage distance Highway Gothic while the actual destinations are Clearview. And the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission uses exclusively tube gantries now, though PennDOT has been slower to pick them up.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.