News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Routes with two wrong-way termini

Started by mrpablue, September 03, 2018, 03:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrpablue

I-44 is the only example I can think of right now. Are there any others?

hotdogPi

Depending on which signs you believe in Beverly (127 needs to begin at 22 with no overlap, not at 1A), MA 127 qualifies.

EDIT: US 41, even if only by a few degrees.

EDIT 2: I-93. This is a clear, unarguable example.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Kulerage

Do you mean a north-south highway ending while running east-west on both ends/east-west highway running north-south on both ends?

hotdogPi

Quote from: Kulerage on September 03, 2018, 03:39:57 PM
Do you mean a north-south highway ending while running east-west on both ends/east-west highway running north-south on both ends?

The north end is more south than north, and the south end is more north than south. Same for east-west roads.

CNGL-Leudimin

US 6 when it ended at Long Beach. Now it ends at Bishop at a right angle
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Hurricane Rex

US 101 in Olympia then the 70 miles before that are headed south. Granted, it is signed south but go 40 miles west and you have 101 in the correct direction.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

hotdogPi

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on September 04, 2018, 03:15:10 AM
US 101 in Olympia then the 70 miles before that are headed south. Granted, it is signed south but go 40 miles west and you have 101 in the correct direction.

LG-TP260

The other terminus is in the correct direction.

doorknob60

LG-TP260

That highway is still weird to me, even though I've known about its path since I was a little kid. Driving from Seattle to Seaside, which I did last month, you have to drive on US-101 North for a few miles, in order to eventually end up on US-101 South (via WA-8, US-12, and WA-107) only 40 miles later. But whatever you do, don't continue north on US-101.

Alternatively, if you were coming from Shelton or anywhere up towards Bremerton, you'd have to go South on US-101, then exit US-101 at WA-108, follow the above path, then hop back on the other US-101 South to get where you're going.

Eth

Almost but not quite: US 1. You're traveling northwest at the "south" end in Key West; meanwhile at the other end, you enter and travel through Fort Kent in the "wrong" direction, but the final turn onto the bridge to Canada puts US 1 back on the correct orientation even if only for about an eighth of a mile.

BrianP

I-295 DE/NJ/PA.  At the southern end the direction of travel is north west.  And the other end which is effectively now in PA.  In that case as you travel toward the end you are traveling I-295 westbound but the direction of travel is southeast.  So it's also wrong way in terms of the N-S part of the route too.

Flint1979

LG-TP260
US-101's southern terminus in Los Angeles is in the correct direction.

Flint1979

I don't think that state highways would count since most states just use any number for whatever direction the highway is going in.

I can't think of any Interstate or US highway in Michigan that does this with the other terminus also being in the wrong direction. And there actually is one, US-41 it's northern and southern terminus is going in the east-west direction.

I-96 ends going northwest-southeast at it's western terminus and going more north-south at it's eastern terminus.

Can't think of anything else.

DandyDan

Based on signage, IA 9 would qualify. It actually goes north into South Dakota on the part of that border that's a continuation of the IA-MN border. The end sign for the east end is actually facing NW in Lansing. I do think the actual highway goes over the Black Hawk Bridge, though.

I believe IA 86 may be as well. The south end goes east and I believe the north end does as well, as the section lines in Minnesota and Iowa are not in alignment with each other.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

TheHighwayMan3561

Are there any Nebraska highways that have two crossover loop termini? (For example, two of what US 283 does at its north end in Lexington)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 05, 2018, 01:55:07 PM
I don't think that state highways would count since most states just use any number for whatever direction the highway is going in.

I can't think of any Interstate or US highway in Michigan that does this with the other terminus also being in the wrong direction. And there actually is one, US-41 it's northern and southern terminus is going in the east-west direction.

I-96 ends going northwest-southeast at it's western terminus and going more north-south at it's eastern terminus.

M-123 has 2 south ends, but I think both legs are signed south at them.

I agree, other than that, nothing else much to say for Michigan wrong-ways.

US 89

UT 24 is an east-west route, but its west end faces NE, and the east end faces NW.

UT 121 comes close: it's an east-west route for the most part, but its "west" end faces east, and its "east" end faces south. There's also UT 37, which really is in a class all its own. It has two east ends, but it's signed E/W at both.

Utah typically signs its state highways in the direction they actually face, not the overall direction of the route. This has erroneously been applied to US routes as well: US 91 is signed east-west between I-15/84 and US 89. UT 24 is an exception.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on September 05, 2018, 04:52:59 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on September 05, 2018, 01:55:07 PM

M-123 has 2 south ends, but I think both legs are signed south at them.

I agree, other than that, nothing else much to say for Michigan wrong-ways.
We'll have to wait and see how the southern terminus of I-69 ends up but at least at the Port Huron terminus it's signed east-west even though it's an odd number.

I was thinking of M-22 when I first looked at this and thought there is no rule to what direction a state highway has to go in being if it's an odd or even number. Because M-22 goes from Manistee to Traverse City via Northport which is where it turns.

Actually M-28 is considered the northern terminus of M-123 instead of a second southern terminus but it is signed south when it ends. Also at it's southern terminus M-123 is going in the east-west direction. I guess I can say MDOT at least does a good job with directional plates.

roadman65

US 90 Business in LA on one side.  Its east end curves north-east then north and heads west across the Mississippi River.  So if you cross the Crescent City Connection and head westbound you are actually EB on US 90 Business.

Its very hard to find one on both ends.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on September 06, 2018, 04:18:31 PM
US 90 Business in LA on one side.  Its east end curves north-east then north and heads west across the Mississippi River.  So if you cross the Crescent City Connection and head westbound you are actually EB on US 90 Business.

US 90 Business ends at its parent (and I-10) with it going N-S there on Clairborne Avenue.  I-10 makes a turn there, but stay straight after US 90 Business EB ends and you are west on I-10.

Thread title: "Routes with two wrong-way termini"

Flint1979

I found a state highway in Ohio that I have traveled on before. OH-163 has it's western terminus facing south to end at US-20/23. Now as this highway is heading east it loops around Lakeside/Marblehead and heads west again then has it's eastern terminus at a local road facing west.

jp the roadgeek

CT 154 sort of qualifies.  The south end has you headed south from US 1 to loop around through the beaches of Old Saybrook, pass by Fenwick, and Saybrook Jetty before heading back north to US 1 and eventually paralleling CT 9.  The north end is on the ramp to CT 9, and if you follow it to the exact end, you eventually loop back around onto CT 9 south, and headed southeast.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hotdogPi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on September 06, 2018, 05:37:22 PM
CT 154 sort of qualifies.  The south end has you headed south from US 1 to loop around through the beaches of Old Saybrook, pass by Fenwick, and Saybrook Jetty before heading back north to US 1 and eventually paralleling CT 9.  The north end is on the ramp to CT 9, and if you follow it to the exact end, you eventually loop back around onto CT 9 south, and headed southeast.

I think CT 154 fully qualifies (not just "sort of"), but barely. Even without the ramp, Aircraft Rd. goes SW, not NW, even if it's less than a degree from true west.

OH 163's western end is not "wrong".

Bruce

Washington State Route 23 runs in a northwest-southeast direction but is signed as a north-south highway, with the southeast corner (south) as its origin.

For a normally logical system (that makes few exceptions to odd/even numbering and directionals), this one sticks out.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.