News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The best route to drive a 53-footer to Bronx produce market

Started by Richard3, September 05, 2018, 11:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard3

It will be the first time I'll drive a 53-footer to NYC Terminal Produce Market, on Edgewater Rd, at Hunts Point, in Bronx.  I know that I should never take any "parkway" in NYC with a tractor-trailer, but Google Maps always drive me on those parkways.

So, for those who really know NYC, what's the best route to go to NYC Terminal Produce Market, arriving from, let's say Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge Tappan Zee bridge, with a 13'-6"-high trailer, knowing I don't want to turn it into a convertible.

Thanks for your help!
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

jeffandnicole

Don't forget...you'll probably want to know the return route as well, which may not be the same.

Alps

287->87. Go past I-95, take Exit 1 and make a right and left onto Bruckner Blvd. It will go under I-278. I don't know the exact truck route from there. But that is often going to be less traffic than 287->87->95->895, even though the latter is easier.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Richard3 on September 05, 2018, 11:03:17 PM
It will be the first time I'll drive a 53-footer to NYC Terminal Produce Market, on Edgewater Rd, at Hunts Point, in Bronx.  I know that I should never take any "parkway" in NYC with a tractor-trailer, but Google Maps always drive me on those parkways.

So, for those who really know NYC, what's the best route to go to NYC Terminal Produce Market, arriving from, let's say Governor Mario M. Cuomo Bridge Tappan Zee bridge, with a 13'-6"-high trailer, knowing I don't want to turn it into a convertible.

Thanks for your help!

Vehicle combinations exceeding 55' are illegal on all streets in the Bronx per 24 RCNY § 4—15 (b) (4). I have not personally seen this enforced but you will be breaking the law.

Here is Alps's suggested route that will keep you on the mandatory truck routes. Notice it is not the most direct route on the local streets. Do not use a GPS for route planning.

As another point of advice, NY lowballs all of its clearances by at least 1 foot (legal clearance). If you see a clearance sign saying 12'-6" or more, you are definitely OK, 12'-0", you are probably still OK. If it says "actual clearance," though... then, it's actual.

If you have never driven a tractor-trailer in NYC before... GOOD LUCK. It will be an experience.

cpzilliacus

A friendly suggestion - do not depend on Google Maps if you are operating  a commercial vehicle, especially in any part of New York City. 

Or, for that matter, anywhere in Washington, D.C. or anywhere inside the Capital Beltway.   And probably many other older cities on the East Coast (especially), where low-clearance bridges can be found.  I have personally observed what can  go wrong when a commercial vehicle driver uses any navigation aid that is intended for use by passenger cars and small trucks and vans.

Instead, purchase a GPS unit designed for use by drivers of commercial vehicles.  They are sold at most truck stops (I have seen them for sale at Love's, for example).  Amazon sells them as well.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 06, 2018, 03:04:22 AM
As another point of advice, NY lowballs all of its clearances by at least 1 foot (legal clearance). If you see a clearance sign saying 12'-6" or more, you are definitely OK, 12'-0", you are probably still OK. If it says "actual clearance," though... then, it's actual.
This is to provide a margin of error in case a truck is slightly higher than a driver thinks, a road project changes the height, etc., NOT to be something relied upon!  In fact, truckers who assume the additional clearance are often the ones hitting the bridges.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: vdeane on September 06, 2018, 01:11:10 PM
This is to provide a margin of error in case a truck is slightly higher than a driver thinks, a road project changes the height, etc., NOT to be something relied upon!  In fact, truckers who assume the additional clearance are often the ones hitting the bridges.

An extra foot is insanity though. It's purely statutory and not based in any kind of sound engineering judgement.

I understand that resurfacing and packed snow could add a little bit of height to the road surface, but 3-6 inches of leeway is standard for any other state and is far more than enough. If resurfacing is reducing the clearance by more than an inch, new signage should be installed.

The reason why drivers are lulled into complacency is because NY clearance signs are a joke. If a 13'-6" trailer can make it under a bridge signed 12'-2", do you seriously expect them to trust any clearance signs? A driver should be able to look at their height (which is usually clearly displayed somewhere, especially on rentals), look at the clearance sign, and instantly know and trust that they know if they can make it. In NY, since drivers know that they will always be safe if they are less than a foot above the legal clearance, clearances on the borderline alway become a guessing game of whether to chance it or [possibly needlessly] slog down local streets.

Take the BQE for example. There are signs saying trucks must exit onto local streets because the lowest legal clearance of the expressway is around 12'. But if a 13'-6" truck actually takes the BQE, they will make all the bridges with inches to spare. Do you want truck drivers driving on local streets, near pedestrians and schools, and clogging up intersections? It is completely illogical.

Rothman

Truckers should comply with the signage.  Non-compliance is what is insanity.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Thanks for your help!

Vehicle combinations exceeding 55' are illegal on all streets in the Bronx per 24 RCNY § 4—15 (b) (4). I have not personally seen this enforced but you will be breaking the law.

It's gotta be allowed somewhere because Hunts Point itself is in the street grid. The question is which streets are exceptions.

mgk920

Does NYC law allow 'local access only' exceptions to their 'no big trucks' rule?

Mike

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Alps on September 06, 2018, 04:37:15 PM
It's gotta be allowed somewhere because Hunts Point itself is in the street grid. The question is which streets are exceptions.
Quote from: mgk920 on September 06, 2018, 06:36:08 PM
Does NYC law allow 'local access only' exceptions to their 'no big trucks' rule?
Mike

Combination vehicles exceeding 55 feet carrying divisible loads are limited to through travel on certain interstates between NJ, Westchester, JFK Airport, and Nassau; and local access to a single small industrial section of Staten Island (I mis-cited the rule, it's actually 34 RCNY § 4—15 [b] [4]; [j]). For the rest of the city, there is no permit or exception that allows a combination vehicle exceeding 55 feet carrying a divisible load to be operated. You are expected to just use a shorter trailer.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

Quote from: Rothman on September 06, 2018, 03:21:59 PM
Truckers should comply with the signage.  Non-compliance is what is insanity.

If you want truckers to comply with signage, make the signage ACCURATE. Like every other state.

Truckers are doing NYC a favor by illegally and safely staying on the BQE and LIE through the dozens of overpasses marked under 13 feet. No 13-6" truck has EVER hit one of these bridges, because they are high enough to accommodate 13'-6" trucks. Could you imagine if every single tractor-trailer over 12'-2" actually diverted onto the legal route, that goes through hundreds of blocks of residential areas with pedestrians? Could you imagine the gridlock of circa 15,000 big trucks added onto a street that already barely handles current traffic with multiple LOS F intersections? No, you couldn't, because it would literally be a crisis.

Just make the damn clearance what the height is. Maybe subtract 3 inches or so if it makes you anxious. It's not that hard.

Duke87

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 06, 2018, 08:09:36 PM
Take the BQE for example. There are signs saying trucks must exit onto local streets because the lowest legal clearance of the expressway is around 12'. But if a 13'-6" truck actually takes the BQE, they will make all the bridges with inches to spare. Do you want truck drivers driving on local streets, near pedestrians and schools, and clogging up intersections? It is completely illogical.

The infamous section between the Triboro Bridge and the BQE split is, AFAIK, not so much a clearance issue as it is drama with the fact that that section of road is technically part of the Grand Central Parkway and therefore technically isn't supposed to have commercial traffic on it in spite of it being nominally an interstate.

The hilarious thing is that as you come off of the Triboro bridge, multiple signs exclaim that vehicles over 12'6" must exit... and then if you exit and follow the posted truck route, you pass under this el with a posted clearance of... 12'6"

Now yes if you actually don't fit under either you do have the option of turning right on 29th St and then going to other way down Astoria Blvd without hitting any overhead obstructions. But it's a dumb situation in general the way it's signed. Clearly there is not a clearance problem here.

As for the trailer length issue, while 53-footers are technically illegal in NYC except for a few select through routes, I've seen plenty of them in use in multiple places and I've never heard of there being any enforcement of this rule.

Meanwhile if you do somehow end up with a ticket for this, pass it on to your employer. Good chance they will pay it for you and write it off as a cost of doing business. This is what all the local companies do when their drivers get ticketed making deliveries while illegally parked. The city collects a lot of revenue from the likes of UPS, FedEx, etc. this way.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

Quote from: Duke87 on September 06, 2018, 08:46:32 PM
Meanwhile if you do somehow end up with a ticket for this, pass it on to your employer. Good chance they will pay it for you and write it off as a cost of doing business. This is what all the local companies do when their drivers get ticketed making deliveries while illegally parked. The city collects a lot of revenue from the likes of UPS, FedEx, etc. this way.

Please, most of the major companies have a deal with the city to pay a fixed cost and nothing over that. Again, cost of doing business. It's impossible to create enough parking.

Going back to other things that have been mentioned and adding on some things a lot of people aren't too familiar with...

• It's technically illegal to take a 53-foot truck off of I-95, I-678, I-295 north of I-495, I-495 east of I-295, and I-695 within city limits. Enforcement varies. But most companies use 48 foot trailers (largest allowable size in most areas) or smaller.
  • You MUST use truck routes. See here for a map. They enforce truck routes. Hunts Point has several truck routes leading to it.
  • Make sure the vehicle registrant's name and address is on both sides of the vehicle.
  • Cross over mirrors are required to operate off of expressways.
  • They generally have strict enforcement of regulations near Hunts Point, just due to the truck volume in/out of there. In the Bronx, through trucks are only allowed on expressways and you can only leave a through truck route close to your destination. From the Deegan, Exit 1-Bruckner Blvd-Leggett Avenue-Randall Avenue-Halleck Street is the truck route to Hunts Point.

Before anyone contradicts me, this is my area of specialty and we work with NYCDOT and various transportation companies at work.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Brandon

Quote from: Duke87 on September 06, 2018, 08:46:32 PM
As for the trailer length issue, while 53-footers are technically illegal in NYC except for a few select through routes, I've seen plenty of them in use in multiple places and I've never heard of there being any enforcement of this rule.

That might be because 53 feet is the standard length of a trailer.  NYC needs to update its laws to the 21st century.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on September 07, 2018, 12:23:33 PMFrom the Deegan, Exit 1-Bruckner Blvd-Leggett Avenue-Randall Avenue-Halleck Street is the truck route to Hunts Point.
That's the one I'd recommend.

SteveG1988

let us know how it works out, it is useful information for those of us who drive.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Richard3

That was not so complicated, finally.

The truck's GPS bring me to I-87 south (NY Thruway), then I-287 into New Jersey, then NJ-17 south, I-80 east and I-95 north to GWB (13'-6"; I dumped tractor rear air suspension, and everything went OK).  I kept I-95 north (Cross Bronx Expressway) to the I-895 south (Sheridan Expressway), then to the exit to Westchester Ave., but at the signals, I kept Whitlock Ave. for a while, then tried to go back to Westchester Ave.  I messed up so much I decided to go back to the I-895 and restarted from the beginning.

BTW, I agree with those who told following a GPS is a bad idea; at the moment I went out of I-895, the GPS was like one street late!

So I went back to Westchester Ave. exit, but I decided to forget the technology, so I followed the good old green signs marked "TRUCK ROUTE - Hunts Point Market and Industrial Park", then I went right to the gate! From Whitlock Ave., I went to Bruckner Blvd, then left on Leggett Ave., slightly left on Randall Ave., at the end, left on Halleck St., and then right to the entry gate!

On the delivery site, it was exactly the same as we see in movies; lots of people, looking like United Nations, but all friendly. Once backed at the dock, the service was fast; about less than an hour later, the trailer was empty, the paperjob was done, and I was ready to get out! So I exited the market on Food Center Drive, then right on Halleck, left on Randall, right on Tiffany St., right on Bruckner Blvd, then on Bruckner Expressway (I-278) east, then north on I-95, on my way to Canada, via NY, CT MA, NH and ME.  I know, it's not the way to province of Quebec, but I had a trailer switch to do in Nova Scotia!
- How many people are working in here?
- About 20%.

- What Quebec highways and Montreal Canadiens have in common?
- Rebuilding.

States/provinces/territories I didn't went in: AB, AK, AL, BC, HI, KS, LA, MB, MN, MS, MT, ND, NL, NT, NU, RI, SD, SK, WA, WI, YT.  Well, I still have some job to do!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.